Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just Curious, BACK UP!
badisthebest
post Apr 20 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #1

Elite Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4261

I am curious on who is still on here and what their problems are in this game still? I still LOVE this game! I cant wait to play it again!

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fat_moogle
post Apr 20 2012, 04:02 PM
Post #2

:DD:
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 1626

I haven't touched FFXII for years! & I never got around to completing it, either.

If I remember rightly I got up to Giruvegan. There was some stone portals of some sort, and you had to find the right path through some type of mirage-like holograms.

To be honest though I wasn't really a huge fan of FFXII. It was fresh and new at the beginning but I didn't really feel the gameplay, and I sucked at making Gambits.

Maybe I'll crack out the game again to see if I can get in to it, but I doubt I'll be able to. I wonder if I still have my save file on my memory card? unknw.gif If not I'll contemplate about starting again.

--------------------
IPB Image

<3 Married to the amazingly awesome, perfect, and beautiful PG & LL <3
+Quote Post
Ethereal Blade
post Apr 20 2012, 08:07 PM
Post #3

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2570

I actually just replayed this game not long ago. It was just as enjoyable as it always was for me. However one of it's biggest problems (in my opinion) became clearer to me this time around.

About midway or a bit after into the game, you go through about 5 different areas-- Mosphoran Highwaste, Salikawood, Phon Coast, Tchita Uplands, and Sochen Cave Palace-- and there are barely any meaningful cutscenes, with the exception of a conversation that takes place between Ashe and Balthier at Phon Coast. I think for some, this can really make them feel disconnected with the story. It's a shame really because I thought the Salikawood and Phon Coast were easily two of the best areas in the game, and it would've nice to have some meaningful events go on during that time.

It may differ from person to person, but I think it tends to be either lack of character interaction or the length of the areas that bothers people. My main complaint is what I stated above, but honestly, it doesn't hurt my overall opinion of the game much.
+Quote Post
Cheeky25
post Apr 20 2012, 08:31 PM
Post #4

All I Need
Group Icon

Member No.: 1282

That's a very good point, I think I was primarily motivated to get through XII because I enjoyed the gameplay and progressively getting more powerful, instead of being invested in the characters or the story.

In FFIX and FFX (the other two I've played) I feel like it was the opposite, the story was what made me put in the long hours, and the fun gamesplay was just an addition.

--------------------
IPB Image
Thanks to Xii! My favorite Canadian

The Viera Family
+Quote Post
Ethereal Blade
post Apr 21 2012, 01:04 AM
Post #5

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Cheeky25 @ Apr 20 2012, 03:31 PM) *

That's a very good point, I think I was primarily motivated to get through XII because I enjoyed the gameplay and progressively getting more powerful, instead of being invested in the characters or the story.

In FFIX and FFX (the other two I've played) I feel like it was the opposite, the story was what made me put in the long hours, and the fun gamesplay was just an addition.

FFXII offers a lot in the gameplay department, and I really enjoyed that aspect of it as well-- The battle system, making and finding rare equipment, exploring all the optional areas and such.

I think it's such a shame that FFXII International: Zodiac Job System wasn't released outside of Japan... I think its added features add a lot to the overall experience. IMO, it is how the game should have been released initially. Unfortunately, it didn't add any new content to the story (it would have been great to have some new scenes where I mentioned earlier, or some flashbacks somewhere).

I also want to say that I agree with you about FFIX and FFX... especially FFIX. That game has a certain charm that no other game can match for me.
+Quote Post
Balthier's Girl
post Apr 23 2012, 01:11 PM
Post #6

............♥............
Group Icon

Member No.: 5635

Over the last few years the site's been down, I think I've replayed once or twice. Though recently, I've been considering picking it up again. I miss killin stuff without the regular turn based fighting system.

Also:

QUOTE(Ethereal Blade @ Apr 20 2012, 09:04 PM) *

I also want to say that I agree with you about FFIX and FFX... especially FFIX. That game has a certain charm that no other game can match for me.

This is incredibly true. I think, with the exception of possibly FFIII/FFVI, nothing else could ever touch FFIX in terms of story.

--------------------
IPB Image
Über Emo Wife of *Garland* // fireytempest's temptress
Mystical Inferno's Angelinaest Wifey // Kajutsa's Foxy Fellating Wifey
~ OLD SIG BY INHERT WHO ISN'T EVEN HERE ANYMORE ~

Ethereal Blade's Super Secret Wife
+Quote Post
Fox
post Apr 23 2012, 05:38 PM
Post #7

Ninja Fox - The Silent Menace
Group Icon

Member No.: 2280

You know I remember a time where FFIX was considered the runt of the litter, but over the past few years the general perception (this is based entirely on anecdotal evidence) has shifted to "FFIX is underrated" to "FFIX is as good as it gets".

I was in the 'underrated' phase before it was cool happy.gif But now it's my favourite game ever, no question. As for XII, I go back to play it from to time. The gameplay is good, the world is sublime, and the writing is incredible. It has its flaws but there's no doubt it is a great entry in the franchise for its own reasons.

--------------------
PSN: "corneliusfingers"
twitter: @corneliusfinger
Blog: Games Under the Knife
+Quote Post
Ethereal Blade
post Apr 23 2012, 07:30 PM
Post #8

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Balthier's Girl @ Apr 23 2012, 08:11 AM) *

This is incredibly true. I think, with the exception of possibly FFIII/FFVI, nothing else could ever touch FFIX in terms of story.

QUOTE(Fox @ Apr 23 2012, 12:38 PM) *

I was in the 'underrated' phase before it was cool happy.gif But now it's my favourite game ever, no question. As for XII, I go back to play it from to time. The gameplay is good, the world is sublime, and the writing is incredible. It has its flaws but there's no doubt it is a great entry in the franchise for its own reasons.

I can't help but smile at these posts, since FFIX and FFXII are my favorite FF games, and among my top favorite games of all time.

On a side note, the FF series tends to like experimenting with new things in each installment which is fine by me, but part of me wishes SE would look back and some of good aspects of FFXII and expand upon those. I'd love to see gambits make a return in some form, and the feeling of freedom and exploration, etc.
+Quote Post
Marblefist
post Apr 23 2012, 11:17 PM
Post #9

Negrodamus
Group Icon

Member No.: 1545

Yeah, I definitely concur, FF12 is a terrific game. I probably sank more hours into it than any other FF. The story itself isn't the greatest but the gameplay might be my fav in any FF.

--------------------
Until I force Xiitharn to make me a new sig this writing will have to suffice.
+Quote Post
Balthier's Girl
post May 2 2012, 12:24 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

So I just got a new 46" tv. The only thing I could think of while I was setting it up was "I wonder how FFXII would look on this thing." Guess I'll have to play it again.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
fat_moogle
post May 8 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #11

:DD:
Group Icon

Member No.: 1626

QUOTE(Balthier's Girl @ May 2 2012, 01:24 AM) *

So I just got a new 46" tv. The only thing I could think of while I was setting it up was "I wonder how FFXII would look on this thing." Guess I'll have to play it again.

It will more than likely look extremely pixelated on such a large screen!

--------------------
IPB Image

<3 Married to the amazingly awesome, perfect, and beautiful PG & LL <3
+Quote Post
Balthier's Girl
post May 9 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Actually, it looks pretty damn good. A bit pixelated, but that's to be expected. And the cut scenes are beautiful!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Anarloth Bunansa
post May 14 2012, 12:36 PM
Post #13

Archduchess of Jeuno
Group Icon

Member No.: 5233

Waaaaw! What a pleasure to be back here! I started FF XII for a new last year. But as I don't play all days, I didn't finish this time...
And I must admit... I don't like finish it. I feel... frustrated when I finish it. LOL.

--------------------
IPB Image

"This world is nothing but a grave, and you are the maggots that squirm through the rotting corpse."
(Kam'lanaut, Final Fantasy XI - Rise of the Zilart)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017 - 01:58 AM

© Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.