Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Neon Genesis Evangelion, Help a newbie here
Judge Kweh Kweh
post Apr 2 2007, 06:14 AM
Post #1

Vigilante Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5999

As with video games, when it comes down to anime, I'm very passive. You won't find my bookshelves or walls lined with dvd cases of them, and I usually won't go scouring for the newest anime or douse myself on the torrent networks unless someone recommends me something, very rare of me to do that even, I should say. The only recent anime I've recalled watching and downloading was the whole Eureka 7 series, and some other one called Karas. That was a few, maybe couple months ago.

Now recently, I was at a friend's house and he showed me some part of an anime called Neon Genesis Evangelion. It was an OVA he said. Something pretty new for me. Yes I know it's old anime, and I'm sure a lot here have watched it and touted it and what not. However I think a fleshy part of the storyline was spoiled for me.

I remember watching this enraged girl in a red humanoid mecha suit battling a contingent of some white human-teethed looking mechs. One point some oncoming javelin looking blade shoots from afar, pierces said red suited mech's hand then eventually in the face, and apparently while the girl controlling it doesn't get physically hurt, she can feel it anyhow. Eventually she gets taken down, and -- this is the part that really made me go "what in lucifer's hell.." -- but now the contingent of white looking mechs rise from the ground, and like the barbaric, savagely looking vultures that they are, jump on the girl's mech and start eating it, disemboweling and eviscerating the living hell out of her in lightspeed, blood and organs and insides sheared and ripped asunder. Just the speed they were doing it in creeped the hell out of me. It was such a ghastly scene, and knowing how there's some biblical backstory and the fact they're all the sizes of skyscrappers it just adds to the sheer ghoulishness, and just like the lady behind the computer monitors pleading that she couldn't watch, even I couldn't watch. Then to add to the injustice, 10 or so unknown, heavenly-mandated spears come from the sky and pierce this already fucked up corpse. WTF?

I think that entire scene did it for me: I needed to understand this story. But thing is, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for as in... what order do I watch the following, you know, watch the series then the OVAs? Just how long is the series, how many OVAs and what not? From what someone told me it can get confusing if you don't pay attention to it or something.

PS: What the hell is that fat thing with the six-eyes and triangular insignia?

This post has been edited by Judge Kweh Kweh (10th Bureau): Apr 2 2007, 06:23 AM

--------------------
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
In Soviet Russia,
Poem writes you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cows are my friends
post Apr 3 2007, 03:40 AM
Post #2

Psycho kowz!
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 1993

first the series then the movie
there's only one movie
tha series has 26 episodes, if i remember correctly
and... the fat thing is a spoiler so...

--------------------

Marrried to teh blazing Fierytempest

+Quote Post
andrzej
post Apr 3 2007, 04:06 AM
Post #3

Big Boss
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 345

there used to be a mega-massive thread about Eva in here, it's closed now though tongue.gif

>>> http://www.ffxii.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1204

I'm not sure why he called it OVA since they were released as Movies, not direct to video as OVA means, but basically what you were seeing was The End Of Evangelion --the movie tongue.gif which are Episodes 25' and 26'

Actually 25' also comes out in Death And Rebirth (aka Revival or Death² which was released with a bit of extra footage and remastered)

Anyways, you REALLY shouldn't have seen those :/ since you need to watch the series ...you basically watched the end (literally tongue.gif)

I really liked eva, but mostly for its humor since it's pretty funny if you think about it, which most people don't focus on :/

Don't take any of the religious stuff serious, they are Japanese after all, and Christianity means nothing over there xD

I hate Shinji will all my might, and Asuka will always rock in my book ... I need to watch it again biggrin.gif since I was seeing End a few months ago

--------------------
last.fm
mgs4 has come and gone... oh how the time flies

♥SNAKE ARE YOU INFECTED WITH FOXDIE?
...BECAUSE I JUST FELT MY HEART STOP

NET WIKI! & NET-AE
+Quote Post
Judge Kweh Kweh
post Apr 4 2007, 03:30 AM
Post #4

Vigilante Member

Member No.: 5999

Yeah I know, I'm not taking any of the religious stuff seriously (not religious anyway), just thought they did a good job with making the concept kinda creepy.

Man, so that was the ending? Shat, well time to go on t0rr3nt tongue.gif

--------------------
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
In Soviet Russia,
Poem writes you.
+Quote Post
Mikachu
post Apr 5 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #5

.:{Don't Rain On Me}:.

Member No.: 616

Yup. 26 Eps. Then there's 2 movies.

The End of Evangelion and...um...Rebirth of Evangelion something something XD Never saw that one yet.

But yes, go watch it. It'll give you a nice headache and a delightful cry. =)

--------------------
IPB Image
The darkness I am drowning in, is the shadow that is created by your light.
Silentaura〜♥ キャッツ
QUOTE('silentaura')
Kiss me as brutally as you like.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Apr 5 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #6

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 5

My distaste for EVA has faded over the years. It's not even over-rated anymore.

--------------------
IPB Image
Official Naruto community: Hokage's Room
+Quote Post
andrzej
post Apr 14 2007, 02:40 AM
Post #7

Big Boss
Group Icon

I started watching it again, because of this thread, and finished it today (well started at ep 11)

I still like it a lot, and can probably watch it once more tongue.gif

At first, when I saw the first episodes, I thought that it was going to be another predictable mecha, with a young-boy-who-can-miraculously-pilot-a-robot-that-he's-never-even-heard-of. So I wasn't impressed then

But that all changed, while my hate for him grew biggrin.gif

The final part of the series still bugs me eh "Congratulations" wtf is that? But other than that, it's 4-5 "motionless" parts, and annoying perspectives psychobabble with Shinji ...it's definitely A++ when the movie shows the alternative perspective or reality outside of his mind

Also when you finally understand it all and who Lillith, Adam, Rei, Kouro and what SEELEs and Gendou's intentions are

I'm not sure what they're going to do exactly with Rebuild of Evangelion or the suspended Live Action Movie but it's strange since it's over a decade since the series was released

--------------------
last.fm

NET WIKI! & NET-AE
+Quote Post
silentaura
post Apr 14 2007, 03:15 AM
Post #8

HISSATSU!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2098

EVA is one of my favorite anime series of all time. Though, I have to say that it is getting a bit overrated in Japan (In Asia countries in general). Still a bunch of games being produced that is based on EVA, and action figures of Rei and Asuka being put into stores for those who are obsessed with them. *shivers*

Still like it though. ^^

--------------------
IPB Image
Shameless advertisement - FFi Forum FAQ & Rules v2.3
+Quote Post
Jayhawk
post Apr 14 2007, 07:45 AM
Post #9

{ FF-ILLUMINA.NET }
Group Icon

Member No.: 439

Wasn't the creator the the anime really depressed and taking drugs near the end of production? There's some really weird stuff in there. Lucky in the Sky With Diamonds type stuff.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
andrzej
post Apr 14 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #10

Big Boss
Group Icon

what (stuff) in particular? =P

he was depressesed some time in his life, which made him go thorugh the whole "self deprecation" deal with the characters, and also "why am I alive" stuff, or "what do I live for"

but, in general, a lot of philosopical questions seem like "you have to be on drugs" to come up with something like that, but I don't think he was

One thing that I thought was interesting and out there, was "This is the self that exists in your mind, and at the same time yours is the self that exists in my mind"

I thought that was very trippy, but it makes sense because everyone lives in someone else's mind through their perspective that they want to look ...it goes with the whole Instrumentality of conjoining everyone into a single "God" being, while Shinji I guess tries to accept or deny it (alternate endings). On drugs maybe, but I doubt it tongue.gif

However, the series was inspired by other anime that had a similar goal, I think Ideon and some others primarily

--------------------
last.fm

NET WIKI! & NET-AE
+Quote Post
Cows are my friends
post Apr 14 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #11

Psycho kowz!
Group Icon

QUOTE(Jayhawk @ Apr 14 2007, 12:45 AM) *
Wasn't the creator the the anime really depressed and taking drugs near the end of production? There's some really weird stuff in there. Lucky in the Sky With Diamonds type stuff.

i think he was depressed before he um... created evangelion

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran_Fan
post May 5 2007, 04:12 AM
Post #12

Elite Member

Member No.: 8315

The first EVA episode I watched confused the heck out of me... I actually prefer reading the EVA manga... the storyline is a bit different from the anime, but the characters remain virtually the same...

--------------------
Nothing is real... Everything is perception...
+Quote Post
AthrunZala
post Jul 18 2007, 06:36 AM
Post #13

Holy Member

Member No.: 1732

Here it is folks, the long awaited Rebuild of EVANGELION trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M5F2Yr0NEw

Enjoy !

I can't wait for this september !!!

--------------------
IPB Image
One session left...
+Quote Post
silentaura
post Jul 19 2007, 01:27 AM
Post #14

HISSATSU!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2098

Thanks for posting the trailer, though I have watched it already. I'm not really hyped about EVA as I am way back then, but it seems pretty interesting. Animation improvements and all. I like that buggy looking Shamsel.

I don't like Utada Hikaru's version of Fly Me to the Moon. Her voice is too strong for the song.

--------------------
IPB Image
Shameless advertisement - FFi Forum FAQ & Rules v2.3
+Quote Post
Cows are my friends
post Jul 19 2007, 02:16 AM
Post #15

Psycho kowz!
Group Icon

thanks for the trailer!!

I don't like Utada Hikaru's version of Fly Me to the Moon. Her voice is too strong for the song.

i know, they should have used another verssion of the songs.. oh well.
oh and i think Utada is also singing the main them for the rebuild project thingy

--------------------

+Quote Post
AthrunZala
post Aug 13 2007, 03:08 AM
Post #16

Holy Member

Here's another short teaser trailer with new footage :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti7EKJX_jvs

Can someone help me please ? It's about this picture :
IPB Image

I found this picture in video dedication to Rei Ayanami... mostly. Is that really Rei Ayanami and Asuka with different designs ? If it is, I really like it, Rei's tan suits her well !

Or are they from another anime ?

Here's the link to the video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8miWBmnQ7tU

--------------------
IPB Image
One session left...
+Quote Post
B.Valentine
post Aug 13 2007, 03:54 AM
Post #17

But you're so supreme!!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2037

nop, that's from Burst Angel(Bakuretsu tenshi) and that pic. just made me realized that they look kinda similar

--------------------
IPB Image
t.a.
+Quote Post
AthrunZala
post Aug 13 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #18

Holy Member

Thank you so much B.Valentine !!!

So far the only blue haired anime babes I knew and liked (still like) were Rei Ayanami (NGE) and Elreka (Eureka 7).

This Jo from Burst Angel looks promising, I've watched a couple of videos on YouTube... I might even get the complete series from my local video store, I've read some great reviews for this anime. For me, Jo's like a more action-oriented Rei Ayanami... seems a little bit evil too... I like that.

Thanks again B.Valentine !

--------------------
IPB Image
One session left...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2018 - 09:50 AM

© Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.