Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creating a AMV, Video Software
Ozonez
post Apr 6 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7525

Hey, im creating an AMV from Final Fantasy FMV's and the such. Anyone know some decent video software? Windows Movie Maker keeps telling me it doesn't have enough memory to process something.

--------------------
Edited by moderator:
Only 450x150px images and 4 lines of text allowed in signatures
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aorin
post Apr 6 2007, 04:33 PM
Post #2

~ ♥ Double Trouble ♥ ~

Member No.: 2129

I'm currently using a program called Sonic Vegas 4.0 which offers more functions than WMM, and the system appears to be more professional. Also, it has less trouble with file formats.

These are the fucntions which I found extremely useful which WMM does not offer or at least the version I have does not.
- Stretching of the length of clips to your liking.
- Unlimited video and audio tracks (like layers in Photoshop so if one track fails, you can delete it or mute it)
- Trackers and trimmers trace up to miliseconds
- More form of transitions and it is much smoother
- More choices of plug-ins
- Files can saved into other formats apart from WMV
- Controls opacity, thus you can have two videos overlapping each other

It's not hard to use once you get the hang of it, and it is much more rewarding than WM. But as long as you purchase any form of professional video editors, it would most likely have the functions which I have mentioned. WMM only offers basic functions.

BUt if your problem is memory space then maybe you might not want to consider these programmes as it supposingly requires more space than WMM.

Well, I hope it helps. And if you wonder how does the final end-product would look like, you can check out my AMVs at youtube.com (the link is below my siggy and I suggest that you watch the video called Precious as you can see the characters in slow motion and also the smoother transition compared to my first AMV).

I did not use that much plug-ins this time so I can't eactly show you what it is like. But I did insert some Lens Flare to the Larsa x Penelo AMV, so you can check it out as well.

--------------------
+Quote Post
tanjavasi
post Apr 7 2007, 12:11 AM
Post #3

|| Lost Odyssey ||
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 980

I am using video editing software by Pinnacle Studio:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/P.../Studio+Family/

I just realized that there is already a 10.5 version out now...I only have the 9.4 version >_< - I guess I need to upgrade someday (once I can afford it).

Anyway, I think Pinnacle Studio editing software is pretty good, but it is by far not the best video editing software out there (I used Final Cut Pro (Apple Computers) in a College class once...that video editing program is already better than the one I currently use at home sad.gif )

According to several reviews, Adobe Premiere Pro is probably the best home editing video software available
http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/index.html
...however, it comes with a hefty price tag too ( ~ $800 dollars!!!)

--------------------

IPB Image

My Gametrailers.com Videos Channel! | Xbox360 RPGs: LINK!

- - -
Currently playing: Mass Effect (Xbox360), Lost Planet (Xbox360) & The Bouncer (PS2)
+Quote Post
Judge Kweh Kweh
post Apr 7 2007, 12:16 AM
Post #4

Vigilante Member

Member No.: 5999

QUOTE(tanjavasi @ Apr 6 2007, 08:11 PM) *

According to several reviews, Adobe Premiere Pro is probably the best home editing video software available
http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/index.html
...however, it comes with a hefty price tag too ( ~ $800 dollars!!!)

Yes very expensive, though people have their ways iykwim. wink.gif

I know both you and aorin are experienced in making amvs and what not. How long does it take for you to complete a project?

--------------------
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
In Soviet Russia,
Poem writes you.
+Quote Post
tanjavasi
post Apr 7 2007, 12:53 AM
Post #5

|| Lost Odyssey ||
Group Icon

QUOTE(Judge Kweh Kweh @ Apr 6 2007, 07:16 PM) *
Yes very expensive, though people have their ways iykwim. wink.gif
I know...but I do not like to download illegal stuff on my computer...I am always afraid it will screw up my PC.

I know both you and aorin are experienced in making amvs and what not. How long does it take for you to complete a project?
Thank you for saying so biggrin.gif...although - in my case - I would not say I have that much experience. So far, I have only created 3 FMVs in total - there are still a lot of things I need to learn.

With all the steps I take in creating a FMV, it has taken me about 8 hours to complete one project.
If you are interested, here are the steps I take when creating a FMV:
The first thing I do is find the right song (the lyrics, IMO, are the most important aspect of creating a good FMV...they need to relate in some way with the character/story that is being presented in your video). Once I found the right song, I print out the lyrics and decide (sentence-by-sentence) which shot/footage I want to use in what part of the song (obviously, you need to have a good understanding of the footages you have available beforehand). After taking a lot of notes, I then start with the editing.
Since I have already thought about what kind of scenes I want to use in conjunction with the song; editing/creating the FMV goes fairly quickly (about 6 hours or so for a 4 minutes FMV).

That is just "my way" in creating a FMV...I just like to "think things through" before I act smile.gif

--------------------

IPB Image

- - -
Currently playing: Mass Effect (Xbox360), Lost Planet (Xbox360) & The Bouncer (PS2)
+Quote Post
Ozonez
post Apr 7 2007, 01:42 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I downloaded, Sony Vegas. I think its the one the first poster was talking about. I just tested it out and its pretty good. I stupidly deleted my Advent Children AVI so i am having to download it again sad.gif. I have found a song for my first AMV, its a pretty basic song you could fit anything around it in my opinion. Im just gonna use it as a starter.

Il probably spend most of the weekend figuring out Sony Vegas. IHMO Final Cut Pro is the best. Ive used it before but haveth no MAC. Getting a macbook for thy 18th this year tho. So awesome.

Now i just need to rip the FMV's from the PS1 games.

--------------------
Edited by moderator:
+Quote Post
aorin
post Apr 7 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #7

~ ♥ Double Trouble ♥ ~

I too admit that I've only created 3 proper AMV so far, and anything before that was just fooling around. As for how long it takes for me to finish a project, hard to say actually, but most of the time, one sleepness night would do the trick (maybe 8 - 9 hours). smile.gif

My work schedule on an AMV is pretty something like this:
1. I would select a song which I would like to see an AMV of it and also, it has to be a song which I actually like (this is important cause I would be listening to the same song continuously for the next few hours, and I need to have high tolerance for it)

2. Most of the time, I would know the lyrics by heart then I'll try to imagine which scenes would be suitable to use (I have a default file in which I've cut out all the Basch x Ashe scenes which I can use)

3. Then I would start out by putting the scenes together and experiment it with stretching. Transition comes next and then if posssible I'll try to overlay some of the scenes.

4. The I'll play around with various plug-ins such brightening, mirrors, shadows, noise, lens flare and some of the scenes are too dark then I'll brighten it or vice versa.

5. The next is the most time-consuming and horrible part of all, it is to create the video file (due to the large amount of functions which I've incorporated, it would take about an hour before the video file is created).

6. If I do see any mistakes, then I'll hope back to step 3 and try to touch up as much as possible. (Even thoug, there is a preview box but sometiems the files can get rather laggy and I wouldn't know the outcome until it is completed)...

For the record, it only took me two hours to complete Larsa x Penelo - I Want Candy but it took me another freaking 7 hours to fix the jerky files and the worst is that many of the files have errors in it thus I have to reconvert the cutscenes again. shok.gif

So basically, it would take me about 4 hours of creating and 4 hours of touching up for a 4 min + song. Just a brief estimation. laugh.gif

I downloaded, Sony Vegas. I think its the one the first poster was talking about. I just tested it out and its pretty good.

I'm glad it works well for you. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ozonez
post Apr 8 2007, 12:15 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Well my first AMV was more of a test to see what i could do with the program on my first try. For the love of god, someone gief some feedback.

--------------------
Edited by moderator:
+Quote Post
tanjavasi
post Apr 8 2007, 05:16 AM
Post #9

|| Lost Odyssey ||
Group Icon

5. The next is the most time-consuming and horrible part of all, it is to create the video file (due to the large amount of functions which I've incorporated, it would take about an hour before the video file is created).
Up to 1 hour is quite a long time (I guess it depends how long the movie is)...for a 4 minute movie (~100MB) it takes my computer about 15 minutes to turn it into a mpeg video file.

6. If I do see any mistakes, then I'll hope back to step 3 and try to touch up as much as possible. (Even thoug, there is a preview box but sometiems the files can get rather laggy and I wouldn't know the outcome until it is completed)...
The same with me!!! However, I know my Computer is just not that good anymore and therefore cannot handle the program...the preview option in my video editing program is unable to let me truly see how the video will look like once it is finished. I too have to turn it into a video file first watch it and then go back into the editing program to do the necessary changes...I have gotten used to it now, but when I did my first FMV, it frustrated me tongue.gif

Aorin, your approach in creating a FMV is very similar to mine biggrin.gif

--------------------

IPB Image

- - -
+Quote Post
aorin
post Apr 8 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #10

~ ♥ Double Trouble ♥ ~

QUOTE(tanjavasi @ Apr 8 2007, 05:16 AM) *

Up to 1 hour is quite a long time (I guess it depends how long the movie is)...for a 4 minute movie (~100MB) it takes my computer about 15 minutes to turn it into a mpeg video file.

This estimation is based on the Precious AMV as there is transition in between almost all the scenes. For my first two, it took about 20minutes as I didn't stretch as much nor did I use transitions or overlaying. Sonic Vegas seems to work faster if each scene is by it's own and not tampered with. smile.gif

So your files end up (~100MB) as well, that's enlightening as I always thought it was Sonic Vegas fault for not being able to compress the files blink.gif . Anyhow, after I complete everything, I'll open the file in WMM, put in the FFXII title or Judge Gabranth logo then I'll convert it into WMV and post it up on youtube.com. Oh, and just before that I'll convert the video in mp4 and upload it to my Ipod, so I can drool over them whenever I take a bus or transit. laugh.gif

The same with me!!! However, I know my Computer is just not that good anymore and therefore cannot handle the program...the preview option in my video editing program is unable to let me truly see how the video will look like once it is finished. I too have to turn it into a video file first watch it and then go back into the editing program to do the necessary changes...I have gotten used to it now, but when I did my first FMV, it frustrated me tongue.gif

It's not that annoying if it takes few second to create the file but when it requires one hour to do so... I shiver at the thought. Thus I'll normally just select certain parts and create a short file just to see the results.

Aorin, your approach in creating a FMV is very similar to mine biggrin.gif

Yeah, except for the choosing song part. When I choose a song, it's normally to my liking at the moment. For Precious, I recall hearing the song and watching the original MV and I was whinning, "I want a Basch x Ashe AMV for this song" And after a short contemplation (which is only about 5 seconds), I pop Sony Vegas on and one sleepless night again. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by aorin: Apr 8 2007, 01:28 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2018 - 09:48 AM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.