Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Peeps, Scott Westerfeld
October
post Jun 8 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8608

I haven't met too many people who know of this book, but I'm sure it'd be easy to find. It's a book sort of about vampires, but what they're really like, about a parasite and the people who are carriers who fight those inflicted. It's hard to describe, but it's set in modern day New York and it is very easy to believe. There is hardly any violence either, which makes it more than just, "he hit him, she hit him back".

Has anybody else heard of this book, and/or like it?

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Michiko
post Jun 9 2007, 12:23 AM
Post #2

b r e a t h e
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4034

It sounds fairly interesting. I've never heard of it though.

I have to wonder why it is called Peeps though...

Why is that? lolzz

--------------------
IPB Image
<3 my Nickling
+Quote Post
October
post Jun 9 2007, 01:20 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8608

It has something to do with "parasite-infected people for short" or something like that, it's been so long since I've read it. It's really interesting though, particularly how he provides a lot of information about parasites to back his work up so you never feel like you're supposed to know rocket science.

The parasite is like AIDS, it can be exchanged through bodily fluids. It makes people a lot stronger, a lot faster, basically better in a lot of ways. It comes with dementia, cannibalism and anathema as well, which means they hate everything they used to love, hide in the dark, have pale skin, attack humans, etc.

Cal is the main character, and he's a carrier of the parasite. He belongs to the Night-Watch, where every worker there is a carrier, which means that they have the improved reflexes but don't have the side effects. Only one in two hundred (I think) people end up becoming carriers. The organisation is underground and so secret that even the government doesn't know about it, but it has existed for at least a thousand years.

This is about how Carl lives his life, and how the Night Watch is changing rapidly, he's finding Peeps that aren't acting like they should, trying to solving mysteries. Really good read.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Zwill
post Jun 9 2007, 01:26 AM
Post #4

Holy Member

Member No.: 6218

Oh I finished reading that book a couple weeks ago. I heart it. I need to pick up a copy of the sequel The last days. Did u read it?

--------------------
IPB Image
Fresh to the death

The Grand Artsy of the Viera Family
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2018 - 04:58 AM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.