> Immortality
Resurrection
post Jun 21 2007, 05:28 PM
Post #1

Love...the most powerful force on Earth
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 1047

I recall a discussion a long time ago about cryogenics, and it made me think of this.

If you could choose to live on earth forever, would you? Or would you choose to eventually die, like normal?

I would choose death, but that's mostly because of religious beliefs. If I didn't believe in Heaven, it would be a tough decision. Would you really want to be here forever? Wouldn't you go crazy, eventually? It's a tough call.

What about you?

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
LIES PROTRUDE FROM THE MOUTH OF MAN, BUT EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD IS LIFE.
I AM A LIAR
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Xiitharn
post Jun 21 2007, 05:55 PM
Post #2

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1134

if i was to stay, it would only be because i'd like to see where we will be in 3000 years; the idea of having everyone you know pass on without you is..mind boggling. i can't imagine being that alone.

so really, i'd pick death. we're given one lifetime for a reason..who knows, there could be another, better lifetime after this one -- another one of those unsolved mysteries.

--------------------
QUOTE(Nick @ May 5 2007, 04:05 PM) *
go Roger yourself with a Tuba you flappy-headed Canuck - your humour is hideous and your gayness knows no bounds!
+Quote Post
BohemianAndy
post Jun 21 2007, 06:05 PM
Post #3

Dentist brah
Group Icon

Member No.: 1071

Cryonics is really interesting. There are many people who have put themselves through it, so that 20+ years in the future, they can be "awoken". Physiologically, there are lots of side effects than can happen, due to the freezing temperatures. Also, technology so far hasn't caught up to the theoretical assumption that people can be revived in the future. So, there is lots of uncertainty in the success of cryopreservation.

Personally, I'm not sure of the mystery that the future holds in regards to the condition of the planet, society etc etc. It could be radically different, and that kind of change can be tough to adjust to. I also wouldn't like the feeling of being in a different phase of time, whilst people you know and love have passed on. I'd rather live and die naturally, rather than put myself through this.

--------------------
<3 FT//GRG2//Sarah
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Jun 21 2007, 06:27 PM
Post #4

I dunno what I just saw.........
Group Icon

Member No.: 6298

If my family and 3 best friends were to be immortal with me, I would choose immortality...but if I had to go it alone....hmmm....

I dunno...I would grieve for the losses, make new friends, make a new family, and then after a while, that would probably get to me, and I would have a mental breakdown...so ya...

Death...if I was alone....

aggressive.gif

--------------------
Loving whipping e-wife to the sexy sexy ShymanDawn!!<3

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Melissa
post Jun 21 2007, 07:48 PM
Post #5

Fallen Angel For Life

Group: Members
Member No.: 8018

I personally would choose death, having the thought of having to watch everyone I knew die around me would be hell for me.

I don't believe in Heaven but I do believe in Reincarnation and I believe that I destined to live again.

--------------------
No one loves me but Setheroph, Steiny Poo and BV
Photobucket
+Quote Post
Dark Yuna
post Jun 21 2007, 07:52 PM
Post #6

Browncoat
Group Icon

Member No.: 2258

I would choose death, personally, as eternal life would mean no rest, really, and true peace can be achieved at the end. Plus, I think madness would claim me if I lived forever.

--------------------
IPB Image

Married to Kira Lee and fierytempest

+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Jun 21 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #7

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

Member No.: 866

I'd choose life of course. I'd like nothing better than knowing that I have an infinite amount of time to do everything that I've ever wanted to do. Although it'd be sad to see relatives dying.

--------------------
IPB Image

Thanks again to Snake for another great sig. As always his work on my behalf is greatly appreciated.
+Quote Post
steiner
post Jun 21 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #8

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

I honestly dont know.

I have not idea what Ill feel like in 60 years time or whatever. Maybe Ill be weary of life, or maybe Ill be longing for more. My choice would depend around that, as well as what my brother and friends would do.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
fat_moogle
post Jun 21 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #9

:DD:
Group Icon

Member No.: 1626

I think I would choose death.

...actually, I would definitely choose death.

Living forever...I don't know. I would get fed up. It's bad enough sometimes now, let alone having another however many thousands of years.

Although as Xii said, it would be interesting to see what the world is like in 300 years or something.

--------------------
IPB Image

<3 Married to the amazingly awesome, perfect, and beautiful PG & LL <3
+Quote Post
Paka
post Jun 22 2007, 01:24 AM
Post #10

Holy Member

Member No.: 3388

Well, forever is a long time... if death is oblivion, then I could see wanting to go to the end of the habitability of the planet, and if I hypothetically could, travel the universe. Or perhaps have my consciousness emulated for eternity in some sort of virtual reality paradise where I could experince an equally infinite amount of things. I would obviously prefer to have the ones I love with me, but if I could not and they had to die anyways, I could at least carry their memories with me, keeping their existence alive in some small sense. But what if eternity meant outlasting the universe itself, as trillions and trillions of years passed, and the atoms of everything that once was spread further and further apart, with nothing solid left? If there was never a new universe to find yourself in? It makes me think of King's short story The Jaunt. Would the mind be able to handle awareness forever without going completely mad if there was no new input? But still, perhaps that would be better than not existing at all? But to just last to the end of the lifespan of the planet, yes, I think I would go with that, especially if I had an opt-out option if things became too much.

This post has been edited by Paka: Jun 22 2007, 01:27 AM
+Quote Post
Dawn
post Jun 22 2007, 07:43 AM
Post #11

Embrace your dreams
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 126

If everyone of us would be inmortal, it could be interesting. If it was just myself, again, seeing my dear ones die would be unbearable, even if I found new dear ones in time, they would die over and over again. It is a clear no.

We are mortal for a reason. I don't know which one, there must be a reason

--------------------
Once known as shyman

QUOTE(Steve Kilbey)
Something must be wrong when weapons are legal and pot is banned

QUOTE(rainbowbrat)
I am a carnivore, though, I eat all kinds of meat :p

member of the Singles family,Hippie family and GOD family

Married to the loving Rainbowbrat
+Quote Post
swim.down
post Jun 22 2007, 02:05 PM
Post #12

playrewindplayrewindplay

Member No.: 2754

QUOTE(Melissa @ Jun 22 2007, 03:48 AM) *

I personally would choose death, having the thought of having to watch everyone I knew die around me would be hell for me.

I agree. That would suck ass lol. I mean, as time goes on, I guess you make new friends, but eventually they'd die too. It would be such a lonely life, and I'd be the bitterest bitch ever tongue.gif

--------------------

IPB Image

swimming with swordy!
proud student of hogwarts, slytherin house!IPB Image
+Quote Post
Sarah
post Jun 22 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #13

»days dawning
Group Icon

Member No.: 6211

i totally agree with xii on the fact that we were given this time for a reason. but i guess you could argue with the fact we found cryogenics and that lot for a reason.

i would choose death. not only because of what everyone else said about everyone else passing on and you not, but i dont think i would even if everyone could last forever. i get tired of it sometimes.

--------------------
IPB Image
©xiitharn
pure morning«
our thoughts compressed which makes us blessed
which makes for stormy weather.
+Quote Post
Dr.Haxor
post Jun 23 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #14

Holy Member

Member No.: 6171

I would choose to live forever, that would give me time to learn all that I wish to learn.
Also I could live to see if mankind will ever gain magical powers and then I could truley be a wizard. I claim myself to be a wizard because my hair has been turning grey since probably 6th grade.
+Quote Post
Binibini
post Jul 10 2007, 02:15 AM
Post #15

Bini
Group Icon

Member No.: 9062

No, I wouldn't want to be immortal and live forever.

If I could choose to extend life (growing old at a very very slow pace) than I'd totally do it! It'd give me the chance to achieve things in life that I perhaps otherwise wouldn't have the "time" to do. But the idea of being immortal and eventually losing those you love around you, is a terrible notion, unless of course, you could pick a partner to share foreverness with. <3

--------------------
irockbitch
+Quote Post
KingoftheSkys
post Oct 2 2007, 11:22 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 9706

I wouldn't want to cause then when get like 5,000 years old you probably wouldn't be able to get out of bed
+Quote Post
pixie~
post Oct 27 2007, 02:18 PM
Post #17

MOSH IT!

Member No.: 11008

Blimey i would have to say then that i'd rather die like a normall person i dont have any religious beleifs so heaven is kinda out og the question but liviing forever.. i would end up driving mysellf into further insanity.

--------------------
IPB Image Married to (phoenix)<3
Thanks to Saaytin for the sig.
+Quote Post
Fox
post Oct 28 2007, 01:34 AM
Post #18

Ninja Fox - The Silent Menace
Group Icon

Member No.: 2280

I dunno....I think it's easy to say I'd like to live forever because I know that's not gonna happen.

Alot of people say "Fear of death is just a fear of the unknown". But for me it isn't the unknown. It is the end. The point where you stop being aware and lose your sense of "self", if there is such a thing. Death is where you stop thinking and feeling and knowing...

Perhaps theres an afterlife but I think of an after-life still as some form of LIFE. Death is the ultimate definition of the end. An after-life is not death it is just progression to another level of existence.

I...I think I would still choose death. We all live, have our time, and die. Ultimately our existence is meaningless. But if people were immortal we wouldn't appreciate the time we do have. Life itself is worth living BECAUSE it ends.

--------------------
PSN: "corneliusfingers"
twitter: @corneliusfinger
Blog: Games Under the Knife
+Quote Post
steiner
post Oct 28 2007, 11:34 AM
Post #19

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

Now that I think about it, I would only want to live longer for that extra time to do stuff. The number of things you can do during your life is limited, but if you could extend it then you would be able to do new things. I sometimes feel there just isnt enough time. I want more time though, not infinite time. I want to retain my youth.

But I wouldnt want to live if I had experienced everything I wanted to. Also, I would feel isolated if I lived for too long.

So, I bassically agree with what Bini said at the start.

@JS: But you're a Christian arent you. So wouldnt you rather go to heaven and live for eternity over there?

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
pixie~
post Oct 28 2007, 11:38 AM
Post #20

MOSH IT!

Member No.: 11008

Now i think about it.steiners right i think. normal life is limited,extending it canjust about forfil what you want to do.

--------------------
IPB Image Married to (phoenix)<3
Thanks to Saaytin for the sig.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2018 - 10:26 PM

© Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.