andrzej
post Aug 2 2007, 07:25 AM
Post #41

Big Boss
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 345

you guys are like making this too hard on yourselves

Unacceptabe: Completely chainging your entry to a different sig, when you have already entered one

Acceptable: If you seem to notice something that you can "correct" on your sig, then you may, as long as it's not something COMPLETELY different

like lets say you think the font would be better placed somewhere else, or something would look better with a different color

i make changes to my normal sigs most usually, so i know how it is x]

--------------------
last.fm
mgs4 has come and gone... oh how the time flies

♥SNAKE ARE YOU INFECTED WITH FOXDIE?
...BECAUSE I JUST FELT MY HEART STOP

NET WIKI! & NET-AE
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
silentaura
post Aug 2 2007, 03:13 PM
Post #42

HISSATSU!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2098

QUOTE(Jayhawk @ Aug 1 2007, 10:50 PM) *

I'm not saying it would be more complicated--it'd be exactly the same, except that you PM your entry instead of post it.

If you don't think member hosts would be punctual, we could always have a moderator (that doesn't usually participate in SOTW) start all of the topics and take all of the entries. They're supposed to be active on the forums anyway.

It was just an assumption on my part. It would be complicated because that if the host is gone, we'll need a re-collecting process of the entries. And if the entries are lay down visible, we wouldn't need to do this again. Think about to inform the mod about taking in charge of being the host, and to tell him/her to receive the entries with caution. Vice versa, to inform participants to sent their entry to the new host. I would say its a big hassle. It'll take up quite a time I'd imagine. Everybody runs in a different schedule.

QUOTE(Jayhawk @ Aug 1 2007, 10:50 PM) *

I just think that the rules should ALWAYS be the same and the entries shouldn't be shown while others are still submitting. Seeing someone else and trying to outdo them gives you an upper hand, rather than if everyone submitted theirs blindly with no specific entry to beat. It'd be more fair that way, especially to those of us who submitted earlier on.

EDIT: And that would make editing sigs acceptable, since it wouldn't be due to trying to gain the upper hand, as Xiitharn mentioned. If we couldn't edit our sigs, and we find a minute error or something (I always do), then we're screwed. Not that anyone would even notice the small details, but at least it'd be acceptable rather than an act of (basically) cheating.

Okay, now that you've contradicted yourself here. You think making correction changes are allowed. I agree to that also, rather just change into a completely new signature. So, making drastic changes such as a complete new sig is not allowed.

My idea is, drastic changes are easy to point out once being spotted anyways. If you fear people would cheat by outdoing/plagiarizing during the submission, we could put the rule saying signature swap is not allowed, and if members violates they would be disqualified immediately. Its an irremovable threat to them.

A rule > A whole set of regulation

Simple as that.

I've seen you made two different signatures in the first Sotw. And you've won. I kind of felt ironic that you're so passionate for to establish this PMing process.

QUOTE(andrzej @ Aug 2 2007, 12:25 AM) *

Unacceptabe: Completely chainging your entry to a different sig, when you have already entered one

I echo this sentiment.

--------------------
IPB Image
Shameless advertisement - FFi Forum FAQ & Rules v2.3
+Quote Post
Sarah
post Aug 2 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #43

»days dawning
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 6211

man dudees. they all look bloody fantastic. congratulations.

GIVE YOURSELF A PAT ON THE BACK.

--------------------
IPB Image
©xiitharn
pure morning«
our thoughts compressed which makes us blessed
which makes for stormy weather.
+Quote Post
Jayhawk
post Aug 2 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #44

{ FF-ILLUMINA.NET }
Group Icon

Member No.: 439

[quote name='silentaura' date='Aug 2 2007, 10:13 AM' post='327751']
[quote name='Jayhawk' post='327674' date='Aug 1 2007, 10:50 PM']
I'm not saying it would be more complicated--it'd be exactly the same, except that you PM your entry instead of post it.

If you don't think member hosts would be punctual, we could always have a moderator (that doesn't usually participate in SOTW) start all of the topics and take all of the entries. They're supposed to be active on the forums anyway.
[/quote]
It was just an assumption on my part. It would be complicated because that if the host is gone, we'll need a re-collecting process of the entries. And if the entries are lay down visible, we wouldn't need to do this again. Think about to inform the mod about taking in charge of being the host, and to tell him/her to receive the entries with caution. Vice versa, to inform participants to sent their entry to the new host. I would say its a big hassle. It'll take up quite a time I'd imagine. Everybody runs in a different schedule.[/quote]

It'd only become a hassle if the winner suddenly drops off the face of the earth for 1 week. And if we go with my other idea, which is to always have the same moderator host the contest, but just let the winner of the last one choose the theme, this shouldn't happen at all. There should just be an established system to it. Organization always weeds out any complication in the long run.

Having one mod always start the topics would prevent things like SOTW 9, where the member host is gone for a long period of time after the contest is over.

[quote name='Jayhawk' post='327674' date='Aug 1 2007, 10:50 PM']
I just think that the rules should ALWAYS be the same and the entries shouldn't be shown while others are still submitting. Seeing someone else and trying to outdo them gives you an upper hand, rather than if everyone submitted theirs blindly with no specific entry to beat. It'd be more fair that way, especially to those of us who submitted earlier on.

EDIT: And that would make editing sigs acceptable, since it wouldn't be due to trying to gain the upper hand, as Xiitharn mentioned. If we couldn't edit our sigs, and we find a minute error or something (I always do), then we're screwed. Not that anyone would even notice the small details, but at least it'd be acceptable rather than an act of (basically) cheating.
[/quote]

How did I contradict myself? I even said small edits of 'errors' should be acceptable (since I do it myself) several posts ago. But completely interchanging entries to gain the upper hand should be unacceptable. And if everyone submitted blindly, even IF they interchanged their entire signature it wouldn't matter, since either way they still aren't able to see the competition. So therefore it would make editing completely fine, on any level, for the heavy editors among us. A blind submission system completely solves the entire problem, altogether.

Okay, now that you've contradicted yourself here. You think making correction changes are allowed. I agree to that also, rather just change into a completely new signature. So, making drastic changes such as a complete new sig is not allowed.

My idea is, drastic changes are easy to point out once being spotted anyways. If you fear people would cheat by outdoing/plagiarizing during the submission, we could put the rule saying signature swap is not allowed, and if members violates they would be disqualified immediately. Its an irremovable threat to them.

A rule > A whole set of regulation

But if a host suddenly restricted it to a specific image size, or a certain technique alongside the theme, that'd be allowed and the rules wouldn't be consistent anymore. I'm saying a solid set of rules for both the submitters AND the host(s).

Simple as that.

I've seen you made two different signatures in the first Sotw. And you've won. I kind of felt ironic that you're so passionate for to establish this PMing process.

[/quote]I did, so I know it gives someone the upper hand. My original Basch one wouldn't have won, so I went back to the drawing board and using other people's entries as benchmarks, it was easier for me to outdo them once I had an idea of what I was going up against. Irony would be if I changed my entry and still lost that first one, because then it would seem like I'm wanting to change the rules to benefit myself. This isn't irony.
[/quote]

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Xiitharn
post Aug 2 2007, 06:08 PM
Post #45

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1134

QUOTE(andrzej @ Aug 1 2007, 08:46 PM) *

there should be a rule: no switching sigs after replying
even if this was enforced (without pming), how do we know some people won't wait until the last minute to submit their entry, therefore gaining the upper hand anyways?

QUOTE(silentaura @ Aug 1 2007, 09:08 PM) *

I like the idea of host being able to participate also. Hmm... would they gain advantage for knowing the theme before all of us though? Meh.
not necessarily...just because they know the theme ahead of time doesn't necessarily make them a better artist.

But if a host suddenly restricted it to a specific image size, or a certain technique alongside the theme, that'd be allowed and the rules wouldn't be consistent anymore. I'm saying a solid set of rules for both the submitters AND the host(s).
but then how could the sotw remain interesting? i think requirements to see what people can come up with would be cool to see...using a certain pack of brushes, a certain stock, whatever it may be.

edit: and then there's no complete guarantee that people will vote for you anyways, even if you change your entry.

last day for submissions ~

--------------------
QUOTE(Nick @ May 5 2007, 04:05 PM) *
go Roger yourself with a Tuba you flappy-headed Canuck - your humour is hideous and your gayness knows no bounds!
+Quote Post
Jayhawk
post Aug 2 2007, 06:28 PM
Post #46

{ FF-ILLUMINA.NET }
Group Icon

QUOTE(Xiitharn @ Aug 2 2007, 01:08 PM) *

but then how could the sotw remain interesting? i think requirements to see what people can come up with would be cool to see...using a certain pack of brushes, a certain stock, whatever it may be.

I say leave the ultra-specific requirements (certain technique, colors, etc. only) for the big competitions and just keep SOTW simple and consistent. It's too small of a canvas to start restricting people too much anyway. Size and theme should be the only preset values before each contest, and from there the artist should be able to use his creativity for the rest.

Basically, the rules I'm trying to get enforced are:

` size is ALWAYS forum standard or smaller (not really a problem)
` new contest ALWAYS starts on a Monday and ends on Sunday, with the submission period ALWAYS lasting 3 days, then voting period ALWAYS for 3 days, and then the winner is crowned/next theme is chosen on Sunday, and it starts anew
` the theme is ALWAYS chosen by the winner on Sunday, unless they haven't done so before Monday--then the host just selects the theme while creating the thread
` the thread is ALWAYS started by the SAME moderator, every week, and the winner of the previous week CANNOT take part in the next week--the week AFTER that, however, they can join again

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Binibini
post Aug 2 2007, 08:37 PM
Post #47

Bini
Group Icon

Member No.: 9062

I like some of the ideas mentioned.

- Contestants send entries via PM to host.
- Winner cannot participate in the next competition but may do so the following.
- Winner hosts the next competition.

--------------------
irockbitch
+Quote Post
Jayhawk
post Aug 3 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #48

{ FF-ILLUMINA.NET }
Group Icon

TIME FOR VOTING TIME FOR VOTING

Also, looking back at past SOTW competitions...I like the manual voting format much better than just having a poll. Stating the reason why you voted for someone just seemed more genuine. That loss of interactivity, over time, has made the competition less popular. That, and way off-topic themes (it all went downhill from "theme: fruits").

I also think it was cool how in the first few contests the host, a moderator, and the members' votes all combined into a 3-point system to determine the winner. The host's vote should matter, since they (ideally) would have been the winner of the previous contest; we could get a moderator who doesn't usually participate to regularly vote (maybe Kayta if she's still active?); and of course the members would vote, old-school format, in the topic.

In fact, if we returned to that format, I wouldn't even mind having the open submissions like we have now. Just bring it back to what it was before, with just a little more organization.

I'm campaignin' for the Old School

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th January 2018 - 03:34 AM

© Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.