Jayhawk
post Aug 10 2007, 07:17 PM
Post #1

{ FF-ILLUMINA.NET }
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 439

http://r2f4.ubergaming.net/art/Veronica.jpg

A concept sketch for a project I want to start someday, about a high school girl's basketball team...

Maybe it'll turn out to be something similar to the MGS Digital Graphic Novels? I was thinking about doing a half-animated comic-like Flash movie. Either way, it's something I've been conjuring up in my head all summer, but it's pretty far off in terms of production.

The story doesn't have any clear-cut protagonists. Veronica (above) is the focus of the story, but is observed from the point of view of her teammates rather than the usual third-person omniscient (the reader knows more than the individual characters). As you can probably tell, she isn't exactly a happy person. She is very troubled, held in a prison of ego and pride. Basketball is her life, and without it she'd be nothing (or so she thinks). I'm not going to go into many more details (yet), but the story will revolve around the theme of depression and failure. Sad, I know. I'll be sure to create at least one comic relief character. tongue.gif

A few hours, and no reference (which is pretty obvious , at least to me). I really wanted to focus on her face--I wanted it to be rigid but cute at the same time, displaying her attractive looks but also her dark, fierce personality. I'll draw out her casual attire sometime as well. Also, I forgot to draw her hand. Oh well.

Criticism please. I know the proportions are slightly off. More to come.

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Binibini
post Aug 10 2007, 11:24 PM
Post #2

Bini
Group Icon

Member No.: 9062

Sounds interesting!

And the girl really does look like a Veronica IMO. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for updates on this project of yours---hopefully this'll be something you'll have time to get done and share with us.

--------------------
irockbitch
+Quote Post
Ringo
post Aug 13 2007, 10:41 AM
Post #3

* POKE *

Group: Members
Member No.: 2467

Thats really cool! I like the shading style smile.gif
I like the reddish-pink colour, looks cute.
It might just be me, but her nose looks a bit too round^^ apart from that everything is good.

The comic sounds intersting, I've always been a fan of the Slam Dunk manga series, think it'll be interesting to see a female basketball team version smile.gif

comic-like flash movies sounds great ^^
+Quote Post
andrzej
post Aug 14 2007, 03:36 AM
Post #4

Big Boss
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 345

her arm looks kinda long, but that's maybe because she doesn't have a hand?

--------------------
last.fm
mgs4 has come and gone... oh how the time flies

♥SNAKE ARE YOU INFECTED WITH FOXDIE?
...BECAUSE I JUST FELT MY HEART STOP

NET WIKI! & NET-AE
+Quote Post
tanjavasi
post Aug 19 2007, 07:38 PM
Post #5

|| Lost Odyssey ||
Group Icon

Member No.: 980

Your artwork looks fantastic. She has that determined look on her face; a fierce basketball player who does everything in her power to win the game smile.gif

Your project sounds very intriguing...I am looking forward to seeing your "comic relief" character biggrin.gif

--------------------

IPB Image

My Gametrailers.com Videos Channel! | Xbox360 RPGs: LINK!

- - -
Currently playing: Mass Effect (Xbox360), Lost Planet (Xbox360) & The Bouncer (PS2)
+Quote Post
Jayhawk
post Aug 22 2007, 03:22 AM
Post #6

{ FF-ILLUMINA.NET }
Group Icon

That's exactly it. Very determined, and when she doesn't win, she doesn't openly complain or pout--instead, she beats herself up about it. Pushes herself too hard. I can certainly relate.

The comic relief character, I'm imagining, won't be so noticeable as such. Keep in mind that the story, especially the further it progresses, will not have many 'light' moments at all. Most of the humor would be considered dark humor, and almost all will be situational. Not that it's not going to be an entertaining story--it will! biggrin.gif

College currently rules my life right now, but when I'm free I'll continue to develop the project.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Jayhawk
post Feb 21 2008, 10:56 PM
Post #7

{ FF-ILLUMINA.NET }
Group Icon

Old old old topic, but I haven't abandoned the idea of this yet! Revised:

IPB Image

I decided to change the style slightly, to something a little less rough a little more voluminous. Not saying that the style will remain the same as the story continues on, however--I might play around with the idea of having the style slowly become less colorful and more aggressive as the plot runs on, to emphasize the breaking down of all the characters. Like I said, this isn't planned as a happy story.

In terms of Veronica's characteristics, not much has changed. She still has the same tied-back hair and headband with a strand on her right side (the new image is actually flipped). She doesn't look as mean in the newer concept. However, I did exaggerate a few attributes--her chin is stronger than before, and her nose is pointed up higher. What she has gained in cuteness from the revised style, I wanted to balance with a more rigid face. She's more attractive now, as a whole.

Sorry she isn't wearing her jersey but I really wanted to draw her midsection. tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Ringo
post Feb 24 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #8

* POKE *

Group: Members
Member No.: 2467

QUOTE(Jayhawk @ Feb 22 2008, 09:56 AM) *

Sorry she isn't wearing her jersey but I really wanted to draw her midsection. tongue.gif

LOL biggrin.gif

I like how u drew her hair, its sketchy but very suitable with the style u drew her.
Good job with the muscle shading, I can see why u really want to draw her midsection now ^^
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th October 2018 - 08:22 PM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.