Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A little question about my external hard disk drive, I see warnings in Windows' log...
Anarloth Bunansa
post Oct 9 2007, 01:07 PM
Post #1

Archduchess of Jeuno
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5233

I've just got an external hard disk drive, and plug it to my computer my USB (2).

The hard disk seems to run smoothly, it doesn't hang my system, neither lag it.

But I'm quite curious, I saw in Windows' log (Control Panel --> Administration Tools --> Log). I saw in "System" part some warnings about my hard disk :

Source : disk
Category : any
ID Event : 51
And the message : "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation".
(I know that 'harddisk2' is my external one)

But this message seems to appear quite rarely...
My hard disk puts itself in sleep mode when it's inactive (after several minutes), and "wake up" when I want to access to datas which are stored in.

The warnings seems to be recorded only when the hard disk "wake up".
There isn't any message about possible bad blocks.

Reassure me please, it's normal ? The message is really caused by the "wake up" of the hard disk ?
I tend to panic when I see this type of warning since my Maxtor crashed (3 years ago), and my Western Digital (my primary HDD) began to be on the fritz (it did 3 "clicks of the death", since 2003).

The disk is a Seagate FreeAgent Desktop and has under waranty (5 years), by the manufacturer

This post has been edited by Anarloth: Oct 9 2007, 01:11 PM

--------------------
IPB Image

"This world is nothing but a grave, and you are the maggots that squirm through the rotting corpse."
(Kam'lanaut, Final Fantasy XI - Rise of the Zilart)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2018 - 06:41 PM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.