Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> College, Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Jeg
post Oct 23 2007, 08:18 AM
Post #1

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 789

Hey everyone... I've been going to college for a year now and I have to say it's the most stressful thing I have ever done. I thought I'd be able to find myself if I went to college, but I still have no career goals. I'm just a lost soul walking around in circles. Is college really the only way to success? Should I be ashamed if I quit? What should I do?

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Marblefist
post Oct 23 2007, 10:43 AM
Post #2

Negrodamus
Group Icon

Member No.: 1545

I'm in college now atm and many people have had similar feelings to those which you have mentioned and have started jobs. But imo stick at it for the rewards are greater even if you dont pursue UNI, you will have a step up on those who did not complete college. My advice would be to finish college and then take a gap year, that way you can grab a job and have time to set your thoughts straight on what you wanna do in life. smile.gif hope that helps man!

--------------------
Until I force Xiitharn to make me a new sig this writing will have to suffice.
+Quote Post
Aliko
post Oct 23 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #3

『!!!』
Group Icon

Member No.: 873

Mmm, it depends what you are looking for. If you want to be successful and have a good paying job, then college is your best bet. Without a college education, you'll be stuck working at the grocery store getting paid by the hour... Yeah, there's the military, but I fail to see how that's less stressful than college...

--------------------

+Glico+
[We love Wii!]
+Quote Post
BohemianAndy
post Oct 23 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #4

Dentist brah
Group Icon

Member No.: 1071

^ Yep. I definitely think college/Uni is worth it. Sure, it can be stressful at times, but nothing worthwhile is easy. There are people who have become successful without a college/Uni education, but they are in a minority. With an education to back you up, you would be far more competitive in the job market than without an education. Its simple.

The good thing about college/university is that once you're in, you can change courses. Trust me, in first year, there are lots of students that still don't know that they'll do in 5-10 years time. I've seen people drop out solely because they couldn't handle the pressure, and its regrettable.

In the end I think its just a matter of sticking to a plan that will lead you to your career dream. Since you're still thinking about what you want to do, then I guess spending some extra time at college and working out your ideal career wouldn't hurt. In your position, there is still a lot of flexibility smile.gif

--------------------
<3 FT//GRG2//Sarah
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Oct 24 2007, 01:32 AM
Post #5

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

Member No.: 866

I'd say college is worth it as long as you don't have some sort of skill or trade that you could do out of college that could make you good money like a carpenter or electrician.

--------------------
IPB Image

Thanks again to Snake for another great sig. As always his work on my behalf is greatly appreciated.
+Quote Post
girlsrgamers2
post Oct 24 2007, 06:57 AM
Post #6

Life's a journey, not a destination.
Group Icon

Member No.: 4088

College is definitely worth it. Take it from someone older like me. I've worked in factories for the last 14+ years. I have a severe back injury from the excessive lifting I've done at these type jobs. I finally enrolled in college over a year ago, and I feel it's the best decision I've ever made. It's hard to find a good-paying job unless you bust your ass in a factory, on a roof or in construction. Unless of course you have that degree in hand.

If you feel maybe you need a quarter off to think, you can do this at most colleges, you simply must be re-enrolled within 6 months (because of your financial aid). Check with your advisor.

And to add on to JS123's comment, he's right about a skilled trade like a carpenter, home repairman (roofs/siding), mechanics, etc. being another option, but this type of hard labor can have its drawbacks, too. My boyfriend is a well-trained and talented roofer/sider/home repairman. From doing this type of work his knees are shot and his back, neck, and shoulder are severely damaged. He enrolled in college with me. I'm 32, he's 38.

Ultimately, it's your decision. But I think maybe a quarter off to just clear your mind and decide upon your options may be a good idea. Also, maybe you may want to consider a tech school instead of a traditional 4 year university. I'm currently enrolled in a 2 year school, but I'll probably eventually go back for my Bachelor's degree. You have a lot of time ahead of you. Give it some thought before you just quit. Many people who start college and then drop out rarely go back.

--------------------
♥♥♥ BohemianAndy ♥♥♥
IPB Image
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
sig by andrzej
Proud member of the Viera and Hippie families
+Quote Post
Dawn
post Oct 24 2007, 07:52 AM
Post #7

Embrace your dreams
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 126

It depends on many factors. Here, for example, there are degrees that the result is the same if you take them or not, since they don't provide any laboral expectatives. In fact, college is getting pushed back in favour of other alternatives these days, which sucks, because, except in very few cases, is so fucking hard to finish a degree.

But still, college is most of the time a good option in general because it provides you with more opportunities than if you decide to avoid it. But the ultimate decision is yours and it depends on you entirely

--------------------
Once known as shyman

QUOTE(Steve Kilbey)
Something must be wrong when weapons are legal and pot is banned

QUOTE(rainbowbrat)
I am a carnivore, though, I eat all kinds of meat :p

member of the Singles family,Hippie family and GOD family

Married to the loving Rainbowbrat
+Quote Post
L.J.
post Oct 24 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #8

?!?!
Group Icon

Member No.: 561

Buddy, college is definately worth it. Like go for it. Don't quit. I don't like hearing that. Just keep a positive attitude and trust me, once you graduate college, you will find a job that fits you, of course, depending on what you take in college. Work hard at it, earn it and feel good about yourself.

All I can say is you're a man, don't be a wuss and quit on your life. Face the hard times, everyone goes through them and achieve something.

Good luck Jeg, all the best.

--------------------

L.
J.

+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Oct 24 2007, 02:16 PM
Post #9

I dunno what I just saw.........
Group Icon

Member No.: 6298

QUOTE(Jeg @ Oct 23 2007, 12:18 AM) *

Hey everyone... I've been going to college for a year now and I have to say it's the most stressful thing I have ever done. I thought I'd be able to find myself if I went to college, but I still have no career goals. I'm just a lost soul walking around in circles. Is college really the only way to success? Should I be ashamed if I quit? What should I do?

I didn't read anyone else's response, but I can tell you I felt the same way when I was in college. It's a good learning experience, and it's fun, but it just wasn't for me.

College is for some people, and not for others. I went for 2 1/2 years and got frustrated and fed up with it because I was working, and I had my daughter....it was just frustrating, and I do not handle frustration easily....or serious stress. (If I had no kids, I probably would have finished...but that's just me)

Ontop of that, my 2 year degree was turning into a 4 year degree.

No, college is NOT the only way to success.
There are many different things you could do to make a lot of money.....hell, there are some jobs that pay more than what someone with a college degree would get.

The only reason you would be ashamed if you quit is if you are one of those..."I never quit anything" type of person. I quit college...I am not ashamed...I am pissed because now I gotta pay all the loans back, and it has hurt my credit score because I haven't paid anything in about a year...That's the only regret I have from dropping out of college...I shoulda paid back what I borrowed right away, now I am seriously paying for it.

What should you do? That's up to you. Maybe look into other options. Try online schooling, try looking for other jobs that pay more, look at starting your on business! You do not need a degree to do so, but some schooling helps....but not necessary

--------------------
Loving whipping e-wife to the sexy sexy ShymanDawn!!<3

IPB Image

+Quote Post
JudasOne
post Oct 24 2007, 02:29 PM
Post #10

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 8730

I say it's a toss up. I went to college for a whole semester and then they asked me to come back, get my shit and leave. I've never looked back. Sure you'll probably get a better paying job witha degree and then you can spend how many years paying off school loans. I do have to agree with GRG2 though that construction will beat your body up over time. How tough are you. But all in all if you don't decide to go find something you like and stick with it. Experience can speak just as loudly as a degree. There's also no guarantee you'll find yourself outside of college either.
+Quote Post
BohemianAndy
post Oct 24 2007, 02:58 PM
Post #11

Dentist brah
Group Icon

Member No.: 1071

^ Yeah, what GRG2 said about some labouring jobs is true. Some blue-collar workers endure lots of physical pressures over the years, and get bad health problems when they are older. However, there are less-strenuous labour jobs such as plumbing, which can be very profitable. And as RB said - college isn't for everyone.

--------------------
<3 FT//GRG2//Sarah
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Oct 24 2007, 08:33 PM
Post #12

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

Member No.: 866

And to add on to JS123's comment, he's right about a skilled trade like a carpenter, home repairman (roofs/siding), mechanics, etc. being another option, but this type of hard labor can have its drawbacks, too. My boyfriend is a well-trained and talented roofer/sider/home repairman. From doing this type of work his knees are shot and his back, neck, and shoulder are severely damaged. He enrolled in college with me. I'm 32, he's 38.

While that's very true that such skilled laborers can have bad backs, knees, necks, etc. It can still be a much smarter move for someone with serioius skill in such an area than to go to some over priced college and rack up an enormous amount of debt.

--------------------
IPB Image

Thanks again to Snake for another great sig. As always his work on my behalf is greatly appreciated.
+Quote Post
girlsrgamers2
post Oct 24 2007, 09:34 PM
Post #13

Life's a journey, not a destination.
Group Icon

Member No.: 4088

QUOTE(joesmith123 @ Oct 24 2007, 04:33 PM) *

While that's very true that such skilled laborers can have bad backs, knees, necks, etc. It can still be a much smarter move for someone with serioius skill in such an area than to go to some over priced college and rack up an enormous amount of debt.

Honestly, I agree with most of what you say, JS123, because Walt (my long time bf) and I both have had long careers in a certain "trade" and made decent money. Walt is both a certified auto mechanic and a home remodeler, and has made damn good money doing it. He also poured concrete for a company and did many prevailing wage jobs (for example, schools), and prevailing wage is the big bucks! I've had many years experience as a die-setter for presses (powdered metal and fiberglass), and as a press operator. I make pretty decent money doing this kind of work (I'm still doing it now along with attending college). But with Walt and I both injured (I have 2 herniated and 1 bulging disc in my back), we decided to get a college education so we wouldn't have to do this type of work anymore. We go to a cheap tech school too, so I'm not really racking up a huge debt.

So Jeg, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to possibly work for a while, and see what field you may be interested in that doesn't require a degree. Also, many tech schools have 9 month degrees in certain fields like large equipment handlers. If you have any more questions, post them. I'll be glad to help you out. I have a pretty vast knowledge of both the working world and college considering I'm 32 years old. Yeah, I know I'm old! tongue.gif

--------------------
♥♥♥ BohemianAndy ♥♥♥
IPB Image
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
sig by andrzej
Proud member of the Viera and Hippie families
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Oct 24 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #14

I dunno what I just saw.........
Group Icon

Member No.: 6298

see, we got into Devry where it was like $400 + a credit hour. We only got a couple grants, but about $80, 000 in loans....

Cheap schools would be best tongue.gif

GrG, you are NOT old! If you are old, that would mean I am close to old...I am only 5 years behind you !!

--------------------
Loving whipping e-wife to the sexy sexy ShymanDawn!!<3

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Binibini
post Oct 25 2007, 03:35 PM
Post #15

Bini
Group Icon

Member No.: 9062

^ And If RB is old.. that means.. that teh Bini is ALSO old.. xD

@ TOPIC. Go with your gut instinct.. What previous posters have commented makes a lot of sense. I went straight into college after high school so.. I would say stick with it but if you're not happy and feel it's a waste of time.. You can't just ignore that.

--------------------
irockbitch
+Quote Post
Resurrection
post Oct 25 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #16

Love...the most powerful force on Earth
Group Icon

Member No.: 1047

I would say that college, most of the time, is just something that you have to get done and over with if it's that stressful for you. I personally am very excited for college next year!

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
LIES PROTRUDE FROM THE MOUTH OF MAN, BUT EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD IS LIFE.
I AM A LIAR
+Quote Post
Burrgle
post Oct 26 2007, 02:07 PM
Post #17

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 444

Well my opinion is to do what you want to do. Do what will make you happy. If pushing yourself through college is going to make you happy, do it. If you do not like school at all and just want to leave to figure out what you want to do. Do it.

I am having the same issue. I am leaving next semester to hopefully go work on a cruise ship...doing God knows what.

--------------------
IPB Image
Thank you so much Auro!!!!
+Quote Post
Jeg
post Dec 4 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #18

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 789

Thank you all for you replies. You made me feel better.

-Jeg

(I'm sorry for bumping this thread...)

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Chrono
post Dec 27 2007, 06:19 AM
Post #19

Royal Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2318

Hey Jeg, have you any other career interests? You could always try something less stressful... Just an advice. ^^;

--------------------
Don'tcha wish your mooglefriend was hot like me? ~ PushyCaitSiths.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 02:31 PM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.