steiner
post Dec 21 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #61

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 1745

QUOTE(Stealth @ Dec 20 2007, 06:15 AM) *

There's a huge amount of misinformation in this thread...

The Big Bang wasn't an explosion. It was a time period of RAPID expansion in the universe. And when I say rapid, I mean a lot faster than the speed of light.

Think of a baking a loaf of raisin bread. When you first put it in the oven, all the raisins are somewhat close together. But as it bakes, the bread expands, and the raisins all get further apart from each other.

That is our universe; everything is moving away from everything else. Same with the big bang. The space between mass expanded rapidly from everything else, causing the universe to expand very quickly. We see evidence of the big bang from the Cosmic Background radiation. Look it up.

God I love being an Astrophysics major.

Yeah, the Big Bang isn't technically an explosion. In fact, its a misleading name. But you can think of it sort of like an explosion since its all expanding away from a singularity. Except the Universe doesn't have a centre.

And the doppler red-shift also provides evidence for the Big Bang.

Seems like these past answers have belonged in the Constant Expansion thread...aren't we talking about aliens?

I'd like to hear a more thorough explanation of how matter and energy and become life. If it has never been done by humans or observed, than isn't it just another theory (like the Big Bang)? I don't like the whole explanation of "matter congregates, primordeal soup, LIFE!"

Stealth kind of said. The real explanation is far more complex although scientists dont know the real details. But what scientists do know, is that given the elements originally created on our planet (we have heavier elements which were formed by a Big Star before it exploded in a Supernova), it is possible for amino acids and the like to be created by natural processes such as lightning. It doesnt really stretch the imagination to imagine a molecule such as DNA being created, and from that molecule evolution begins.

There have been different ideas suggesting how such molecules were created, but scientists don't know for sure which one actually happened.

About aliens, what theyd be like depends a whole lot on their environment. In fact, it depends completely on their environment. We generally look for environments that are similar to earth's, but for all we know there may be other, completely different ways that life can occur.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Fox
post Dec 22 2007, 01:52 AM
Post #62

Ninja Fox - The Silent Menace
Group Icon

Member No.: 2280

"If it has never been done by humans or observed"

Actually I believe scientits have created/are very close to creating their own basic microbes from scratch. I cannot remember what the idea is but I read a BBC news article a couple of months ago and remember being quite interested. Am going away for a couple of weeks so I wont be able to post up an article later... but it should be a pretty simple google search if you are interested.

--------------------
PSN: "corneliusfingers"
twitter: @corneliusfinger
Blog: Games Under the Knife
+Quote Post
BohemianAndy
post Dec 22 2007, 03:21 AM
Post #63

Dentist brah
Group Icon

Member No.: 1071

^ I read in my state newspaper a few days ago that scientists in the U.S. managed to create synthetic DNA from scratch ... ohmy.gif

I smell a Nobel Prize around the corner for the discoverer's...

--------------------
<3 FT//GRG2//Sarah
+Quote Post
the x reaper
post Dec 22 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #64

Ultimate Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11058

isnt that something to do with cloning?

--------------------
+Quote Post
steiner
post Dec 22 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #65

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

Yeah, scientists have managed to create complex molecules from scratch using similar conditions to the ones the early earth might have had. But they don't know the exact conditions and they do not know the exact way that they were created.

Some of the ways they found now seem unlikely because the evidence for waht the earth's atmosphere was like has changed.

EDIT: The synthetic chromosome, while it was a huge acheivment, used man made conditions. Not the ones that would have been originally found on the earth, as far as I know.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/oct...s.climatechange

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
the x reaper
post Dec 22 2007, 04:09 PM
Post #66

Ultimate Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11058

damn,this topic sounds dead confusing to some,im a little confused

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2018 - 02:51 PM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.