> Whats wrong with America?
steiner
post Nov 5 2007, 07:00 PM
Post #1

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 1745

A recent poll showed that over 50% of Americans think Bush should bomb Iraq.

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Bomb_Iran_ma..._says_1030.html

Its shocking. Couple that with the fact that only 40% of Americans know where Iraq is on a map of the Middle East and only 25% know where Iran and Israel are makes the situation even worse.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12591413/
http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2006/...e7e8544da0.html

So, for those of you in America, what do you think is wrong with the education? Why is it so many people are narrow minded and uneducated, and how can the problem be solved?

@Resurrection: Will post in other topic soon. Just so you know. wink.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Nov 5 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #2

I dunno what I just saw.........
Group Icon

Member No.: 6298

I think all Bush followers are brainwashed.....

Of all the presidents that have been assasinated, why hasn't anyone done so to Bush?

As far as the poll goes...well, you know my standings with these "statistics"

what do you think is wrong with the education? Why is it so many people are narrow minded and uneducated, and how can the problem be solved?

Our education process sucks.....people just don't care.....the problem can be solved by getting bush outta office happy.gif

I can't believe we have such an idiot as a president....you don't need no education to run a country.

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test.''

"I'm the commander — see, I don't need to explain — I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being president."

"I don't know why you're talking about Sweden. They're the neutral one. They don't have an army."

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country."

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
shok.gif

seriously...wtf...

THIS is what is wrong with America smile.gif

--------------------
Loving whipping e-wife to the sexy sexy ShymanDawn!!<3

IPB Image

+Quote Post
steiner
post Nov 5 2007, 07:31 PM
Post #3

It's been too long...
Group Icon

^But would you agree from your own experience that people in America are on average as ignorant as the statistic claim them to be?

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Nov 5 2007, 07:48 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

But would you agree from your own experience that people in America are on average as ignorant as the statistic claim them to be?

I don't think so, but on the other hand...it wouldn't surprise me.

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
JudasOne
post Nov 5 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #5

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 8730

But would you agree from your own experience that people in America are on average as ignorant as the statistic claim them to be?

It would help if the said how many kids they polled and how old they are. You can find backing in statistics for anything you want. The only people I think are ignorant are the ones that use these so called polls or the ones that read and believe them.
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Nov 5 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE(JudasOne @ Nov 5 2007, 11:56 AM) *

It would help if the said how many kids they polled and how old they are. You can find backing in statistics for anything you want. The only people I think are ignorant are the ones that use these so called polls or the ones that read and believe them.

See, someone understands the way I feel about statistics biggrin.gif

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Resurrection
post Nov 5 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #7

Love...the most powerful force on Earth
Group Icon

Member No.: 1047

QUOTE(steiner @ Nov 5 2007, 02:00 PM) *

So, for those of you in America, what do you think is wrong with the education? Why is it so many people are narrow minded and uneducated, and how can the problem be solved?

I personally think that were a little too lenient on our expectations, but I don't lay the entire blame on the education system. Lots of students just don't care about education--they have no work ethic. I also think that our culture is very immoral and that it adds to the problem.

QUOTE(steiner @ Nov 5 2007, 02:00 PM) *

@Resurrection: Will post in other topic soon. Just so you know. wink.gif

No rush wink.gif

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
LIES PROTRUDE FROM THE MOUTH OF MAN, BUT EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD IS LIFE.
I AM A LIAR
+Quote Post
steiner
post Nov 5 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #8

It's been too long...
Group Icon

^I was hoping someone would bring up culture. It seems that the culture in Western societys is promoting too many wrong things. The value of education is less and people think they can get rich without work. Its a flaw that will soon lead to countrys such as China and India overtaking them, perhaps. Maybe its the fault of parents, but that seems pretty harsh. The real cause is difficult to ascertain.

No rush wink.gif

Hehe, thanks. Its just that I like to hone my posts to perfection. biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Nov 5 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #9

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

Member No.: 866

Whats wrong with America?

Nothing.

A recent poll showed that over 50% of Americans think Bush should bomb Iran.

You have to understand the mindset of the average American is such that our bravado and desire to take on the "bad guys" of the world leads many to want to get the first hit in now.

In the end we're a militaristic and patriotic nation ala Europe during the earlier half of the 20th century. You have to understand that we've never had a war devastate us the way WWI and WWII devastated Europe, and as such our outlook on war and its use is quite different.

Its shocking. Couple that with the fact that only 40% of Americans know where Iraq is on a map of the Middle East and only 25% know where Iran and Israel are makes the situation even worse.

That's because geography and current politics aren't discussed enough in classrooms in the U.S. Combine that with the fact that so many young Americans don't really care about education, especially in poorer urban areas and it doesn't shock me that there are that many people who are unintelligent. It makes me wonder if as the Roman empire declined, if the average Roman on the street knew their geography.

The problem with education is that young people today in the U.S. are lazy and apathetic cheating their way through high school or by sailing through high school via basic classes.

What the U.S. needs to do is install an education system more akin to Germany's where students who have no desire for school or who aren't apt pupils are put into entirely different schools than those that are smarter.

The problem is that there a lot of kids who would work hard and pay attention in classes but like many teenagers their desire to fit into what is "cool" is stronger than their desire to do well in school. In the U.S. because of our sometimes warped views of equality and entitlement there are a lot of shitbags that keep good kids from doing as well as they can.

Plus, from my understanding the culture of education is completely different in Europe than in the U.S.

think all Bush followers are brainwashed.....

Of all the presidents that have been assasinated, why hasn't anyone done so to Bush?

Good idea. Lets kill those people who we disagree with. rolleyes.gif

Our education process sucks.....people just don't care.....the problem can be solved by getting bush outta office

I can't believe we have such an idiot as a president....you don't need no education to run a country.

Yes, it's Bush's fault about the failings in the American education system. In case you didn't know he's also the reason there is global warming, nuclear weapons, genocide, rape, and it's also his fault that our shit stinks so bad.

See, Americans can't even criticize their president and put together a grammatically correct sentence.

These polls are all done in a matter to minimize errors as much as possible. Plus they were conducted by legit polling research centers.

Also, to back up steiner's point I've seen and heard of everything he's said quite a few times before.

--------------------
IPB Image

Thanks again to Snake for another great sig. As always his work on my behalf is greatly appreciated.
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Nov 6 2007, 01:43 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Good idea. Lets kill those people who we disagree with.

LOL...ya! Lets do it! Then NO ONE would be alive!! aggressive.gif
Did I say kill who we disagree with? No. I asked why no one has done so to Bush yet.

Yes, it's Bush's fault about the failings in the American education system. In case you didn't know he's also the reason there is global warming, nuclear weapons, genocide, rape, and it's also his fault that our shit stinks so bad.

I never said Bush caused everything, but I am saying our leadership outlines our society. (High Cabal anyone?)

See, Americans can't even criticize their president and put together a grammatically correct sentence.

I never said it was his fault....quit putting words in my mouth please.
Although it may not be his fault, his decisions do play a roll into our eductaional system.
Also, what senetence was not grammatically correct? The last part of that sentence was makin fun of him. Besides, why should Americans put together a grammatically correct sentence when the president himself can't even do it? rolleyes.gif

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Resurrection
post Nov 6 2007, 02:29 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE(steiner @ Nov 5 2007, 05:13 PM) *

^I was hoping someone would bring up culture. It seems that the culture in Western societys is promoting too many wrong things. The value of education is less and people think they can get rich without work. Its a flaw that will soon lead to countrys such as China and India overtaking them, perhaps. Maybe its the fault of parents, but that seems pretty harsh. The real cause is difficult to ascertain.

I would be interested to learn more about other cultures and how they connect with education. Maybe the most moral cultures also produce the highest test scores...just a thought.

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
LIES PROTRUDE FROM THE MOUTH OF MAN, BUT EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD IS LIFE.
I AM A LIAR
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Nov 6 2007, 03:51 AM
Post #12

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

Did I say kill who we disagree with? No. I asked why no one has done so to Bush yet.

And why would you be asking such a question? Could it possibly be that you dislike and/or hate him due to his beliefs being different than yous? Or were you for some random reason just wondering why someone hasn't killed him yet?

I never said it was his fault....quit putting words in my mouth please

Below in the quote you state that our education system sucks and then state that the solution to said problem would be to get Bush out of office.

Our education process sucks.....people just don't care.....the problem can be solved by getting bush outta office

If removing hiim and putting someone else into the oval office solves the education crisis in the U.S. then clearly you're saying that it is at least partially his fault. Which of course is ridiculous and which I was trying to point out by also blaming him for all those other things.

Although it may not be his fault, his decisions do play a roll into our eductaional system.
Also, what senetence was not grammatically correct?

Of course his decisions play a role in our educational process. I agree 100 percent. You just have to look at No Child Left Behind for that. I just don't think he's to blame for the education crisis in the U.S.

My apologies. I failed to see that you were making fun of GW and thought that you didn't understand what a double negative was.

--------------------
IPB Image

Thanks again to Snake for another great sig. As always his work on my behalf is greatly appreciated.
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Nov 6 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Or were you for some random reason just wondering why someone hasn't killed him yet?

Exactly...I just think like that...tis weird.

Below in the quote you state that our education system sucks and then state that the solution to said problem would be to get Bush out of office.

BURN! You got me there...but I didn't mean it like that...sorry tongue.gif The no child left behind act is stupid IMO...

in Florida, when my daughter was in school...1st grade...they did not get recess because they said that Bush's No child Left behind act called for more class time...which is BS...You cannot leave kin-5th graders in class all day with no recess...kids need to get out and interact with other kids, release their energy...and they need all the exercise!

Maybe it was just that school, and somehow I was mislead about the NCLB act? But that issue with the school totally pissed me off...and them saying it was because of that act is what made me direct it at Bush smile.gif

I just don't think he's to blame for the education crisis in the U.S.

My apologies. I failed to see that you were making fun of GW and thought that you didn't understand what a double negative was.

He is partially to blame IMO, he has the power to fix the education process, but he doesn't do anything but add more class time...and that's not the answer.....

and apology accepted smile.gif Just cause I am an American, doesn't make me completely stupid laugh.gif (just a lil stupid tongue.gif) *FOCL*

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
JudasOne
post Nov 6 2007, 05:14 PM
Post #14

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

The only thing wrong with America is that after kicking a country's ass we stopped planting our flag in it. We're not spreading Capitalism enough, we should be building a Disneyworld and some Pizzahuts in Iraq and Jiffylubes in Afghanastan.
+Quote Post
Resurrection
post Nov 6 2007, 05:25 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE(JudasOne @ Nov 6 2007, 12:14 PM) *

The only thing wrong with America is that after kicking a country's ass we stopped planting our flag in it. We're not spreading Capitalism enough, we should be building a Disneyworld and some Pizzahuts in Iraq and Jiffylubes in Afghanastan.

That would be a waste of time and money. The war is already costing the taxpayers enough. If Pizza Hut really wants some franchises over there then they can make some themselves.

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
I AM A LIAR
+Quote Post
JudasOne
post Nov 6 2007, 05:58 PM
Post #16

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

That would be a waste of time and money

It's not a waste of money when they would just generate profit. Isn't the whole idea of business to grow?
+Quote Post
Resurrection
post Nov 6 2007, 06:04 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

but would they generate profit? I don't know, pizza hut isn't exactly traditional over there. I'm not sure how much business they would get.

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
I AM A LIAR
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Nov 6 2007, 06:27 PM
Post #18

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

That's assuming that Muslims would eat PizzaHut Judas. Middle Eastern cuisine is pretty good.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
JudasOne
post Nov 6 2007, 06:38 PM
Post #19

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Pizza Hut was just an example. I'm just saying I think we should go back to when you defeated a country you claimed it as your land and started doing with it as you saw fit.
+Quote Post
steiner
post Nov 6 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #20

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Nothing.

laugh.gif

You have to understand the mindset of the average American is such that our bravado and desire to take on the "bad guys" of the world leads many to want to get the first hit in now.

In the end we're a militaristic and patriotic nation ala Europe during the earlier half of the 20th century. You have to understand that we've never had a war devastate us the way WWI and WWII devastated Europe, and as such our outlook on war and its use is quite different.

Yeah, its completely idiotic.

A lot of Americans think that the world is America. They're ignorant and oblvious to everything going on outside. They're oblivious to a lot of things going on inside as well. Americans seem to naively live inside their own cocoon. They dont learn from others mistakes, they just carry out the same old mistakes, over and over again without learning anything.

That's because geography and current politics aren't discussed enough in classrooms in the U.S. Combine that with the fact that so many young Americans don't really care about education, especially in poorer urban areas and it doesn't shock me that there are that many people who are unintelligent. It makes me wonder if as the Roman empire declined, if the average Roman on the street knew their geography.

Yet the American public always seem to act like they know it all. They elect people without knowledge and their decisions are superficial. I sometimes think that America is hardly ready for democracy.

The problem with education is that young people today in the U.S. are lazy and apathetic cheating their way through high school or by sailing through high school via basic classes.

What the U.S. needs to do is install an education system more akin to Germany's where students who have no desire for school or who aren't apt pupils are put into entirely different schools than those that are smarter.

The problem is that there a lot of kids who would work hard and pay attention in classes but like many teenagers their desire to fit into what is "cool" is stronger than their desire to do well in school. In the U.S. because of our sometimes warped views of equality and entitlement there are a lot of shitbags that keep good kids from doing as well as they can.

Plus, from my understanding the culture of education is completely different in Europe than in the U.S.

Yeah, but even still, can you afford to have so many shitbags in your society? I dont think you can. American kids are often seen as spoilt brats who have no idea what poverty is. Maybe if they did know they'd start to work.

The same can sometimes be said for England as well. Ive noticed that in general, the Asians get top grades and thats purely because their parents had to work hard to give them such opportunities and they sure as hell wont let them waste it.

For example, 80% of people in the top set for maths in my school are Asian. And Asians are the minority.

But Bush does have a lot of things to blame for. He's screwed your country up even further. Thats not solely his fault though, its also the fault of the people who voted for him. They should have known how foolish his views and solutions were.

/END RANT

I know that America has many good points going for it. But it needs a serious wake up call. The respect other countries have for America is extremely low and that can hardly be a good thing when its the most powerful country in the world.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th January 2018 - 01:42 PM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.