> Constant Expansion, the universe isn't the same everyday
steiner
post Dec 20 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #21

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 1745

^Basically, the evidence supporting it is pretty tenuous.

I mean, it was only discovered a few years ago I think. But maybe I made the IF too big. Its probably an IF since I think its the most popular theory.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Dec 20 2007, 09:17 PM
Post #22

I dunno what I just saw.........
Group Icon

Member No.: 6298

As long as we do not have to worry about it in our lifetime, I am good tongue.gif

--------------------
Loving whipping e-wife to the sexy sexy ShymanDawn!!<3

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Stealth
post Dec 21 2007, 02:18 AM
Post #23

A Patriot

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

IPB Image

This image explains very well what I was trying to explain. Our universe has 4 possible endings. Before the discovery of dark matter, and the idea of dark energy, we thought that there was just too little "stuff" in our universe. Because of this, we thought the universe would just end in a "big crunch". On the graph, it's Omega > 1. However, as we found more and more things in the universe, such as millions of galaxies, and dark matter, we were able to figure out other possible endings for the universe.

Those other endings are those other lines you see.

Omega > 1 ==> Big Crunch
Omega =1 and Omega < 1 ==> Open Universe. It won't "end", just stop expanding or contracting.
Then Finally "Accelerating" ==> The universe keeps expanding eventually reaching "Heat Death"

This all has to do with the general shape of the universe, and whether or not gravity is the ultimate force in the universe, being able to keep it held together.

As far as the star-gas-star cycle is concerned, Steiner was partly right, but stellar evolution is a huge huge topic. You can read about it here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_evolution

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
AkamaruFoxHound
post Dec 21 2007, 02:58 AM
Post #24

Royal Member

Member No.: 8721

The most plausible expination is the infinate expansion

--------------------
IPB ImagePutrid Rot Fills Gaping Maws

IPB Image
+Quote Post
steiner
post Dec 21 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #25

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_parameter

I was reading through that. (Or trying to at least. tongue.gif)

And I have a question...

Our universe has 4 possible endings. Before the discovery of dark matter, and the idea of dark energy, we thought that there was just too little "stuff" in our universe. Because of this, we thought the universe would just end in a "big crunch". On the graph, it's Omega > 1. However, as we found more and more things in the universe, such as millions of galaxies, and dark matter, we were able to figure out other possible endings for the universe.

Im thinking you typed it the wrong way round. Either that or Im confused. Here's what I think it should be...

Our universe has 4 possible endings. If there is enough mass in the Universe, the gravitational attraction between all matter in the Universe will be high enough to halt expansion and cause contraction. This would result in the big Crunch, Omega > 1, which bassically says that the density of matter is high enough to cause this. The other fates of the Universe occur if the gravitational attraction between matter is too small, with the densit being too small, ie. Omega < 1 or if its the same Omega = 1. The reason why discovering dark matter and dark energy suggests that the Universe will continue expanding is because the amount of dark energy theorised (which causes expansion) more than offsets the amount of dark matter theorised, (which causes contraction)

^Am I right?

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
Stealth
post Dec 22 2007, 08:02 AM
Post #26

A Patriot

Member No.: 60

QUOTE(steiner @ Dec 21 2007, 06:08 AM) *
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_parameter

I was reading through that. (Or trying to at least. tongue.gif )

And I have a question...

Our universe has 4 possible endings. Before the discovery of dark matter, and the idea of dark energy, we thought that there was just too little "stuff" in our universe. Because of this, we thought the universe would just end in a "big crunch". On the graph, it's Omega > 1. However, as we found more and more things in the universe, such as millions of galaxies, and dark matter, we were able to figure out other possible endings for the universe.

Im thinking you typed it the wrong way round. Either that or Im confused. Here's what I think it should be...

Our universe has 4 possible endings. If there is enough mass in the Universe, the gravitational attraction between all matter in the Universe will be high enough to halt expansion and cause contraction. This would result in the big Crunch, Omega > 1, which bassically says that the density of matter is high enough to cause this. The other fates of the Universe occur if the gravitational attraction between matter is too small, with the densit being too small, ie. Omega < 1 or if its the same Omega = 1. The reason why discovering dark matter and dark energy suggests that the Universe will continue expanding is because the amount of dark energy theorised (which causes expansion) more than offsets the amount of dark matter theorised, (which causes contraction)

^Am I right?

Yep, you're quite right. More matter = more mass = stronger gravity.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2018 - 04:21 AM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.