> climate
JudasOne
post Jan 2 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #21

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 8730

Tell me you are joking because this is complete BS.

Yes this was my attempt at sarcasm. I fully believe in the greenhouse effect.

So do you all think something like The Day After Tomorrow will actually happen and would it be such a bad thing?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Jan 2 2008, 05:34 PM
Post #22

I dunno what I just saw.........
Group Icon

Member No.: 6298

ok, you need to put some kind of smiley after, or words or something that says sarcasm...just so things will be clarified tongue.gif

I don't remember the day after tomorrow....

--------------------
Loving whipping e-wife to the sexy sexy ShymanDawn!!<3

IPB Image

+Quote Post
JudasOne
post Jan 3 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #23

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 8730

Its a very believable movie about the effects of Global Warming. If you haven't seen it and this topic interest you then you should srsly rent it today.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319262/

And I'll take your advice about my sarcasm smile.gif Not! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by JudasOne: Jan 3 2008, 12:13 PM
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Jan 3 2008, 03:18 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

LOL^ That's better tongue.gif

I remember that movie!!

Yes, I think it could...no...bad choice of words...I think it is PLAUSIBLE that it could happen.

Maybe not to the point of the movie, but pretty damn close...or maybe we will be taken out by meteors like the dinos!

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 3 2008, 05:59 PM
Post #25

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

^Haha, you know a few years ago a meteor just missed us.

The funny thing was though that scientists only spotted it after it went passed the earth. So, for all we know there could well be a meteor heading for earth right now.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Jan 3 2008, 06:25 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

Yeah, I remember that...and last week (maybe 2 weeks ago...I lose track of time easily) there was a meteor headed for the 4th planet from the sun, Mars...Haven't heard much more than that though!

mmm....topic idea xD

Edit: It was reported Dec 20th:
http://cbs2.com/local/Mars.Asteroid.January.2.615674.html

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Resurrection
post Jan 3 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #27

Love...the most powerful force on Earth
Group Icon

Member No.: 1047

QUOTE(steiner @ Jan 3 2008, 12:59 PM) *

^Haha, you know a few years ago a meteor just missed us.

The funny thing was though that scientists only spotted it after it went passed the earth. So, for all we know there could well be a meteor heading for earth right now.

Interesting...do you know of a link with information about that meteor?

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
LIES PROTRUDE FROM THE MOUTH OF MAN, BUT EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD IS LIFE.
I AM A LIAR
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Jan 3 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

Here is the link about the meteor just missing the earth a few years ago:

http://www.fair-society.org/articlesnews/a..._earth_by_r.htm

Also, while I was looking for that, I found this:

Key findings of the Pentagon Report

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0222-01.htm

Randall told The Observer that the potential ramifications of rapid climate change would create global chaos. 'This is depressing stuff,' he said. 'It is a national security threat that is unique because there is no enemy to point your guns at and we have no control over the threat.'

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Resurrection
post Jan 3 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

Thanks. It's puzzling to think how something that small could just pwn the earth and have such drastic consequences.

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
LIES PROTRUDE FROM THE MOUTH OF MAN, BUT EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD IS LIFE.
I AM A LIAR
+Quote Post
Fox
post Jan 3 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #30

Ninja Fox - The Silent Menace
Group Icon

Member No.: 2280

wow...and I watched Armageddon today!! How appropriate.

--------------------
PSN: "corneliusfingers"
twitter: @corneliusfinger
Blog: Games Under the Knife
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Jan 4 2008, 03:59 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

I found some facts from 2007 and how shit is changing and etc:

552 billion tons of ice melted this summer from the Greenland ice sheet, according to preliminary satellite data to be released by NASA Wednesday. That's 15 percent more than the annual average summer melt, beating 2005's record.

- A record amount of surface ice was lost over Greenland this year, 12 percent more than the previous worst year, 2005, according to data the University of Colorado released Monday. That's nearly quadruple the amount that melted just 15 years ago. It's an amount of water that could cover Washington, D.C., a half-mile deep, researchers calculated.

- The surface area of summer sea ice floating in the Arctic Ocean this summer was nearly 23 percent below the previous record. The dwindling sea ice already has affected wildlife, with 6,000 walruses coming ashore in northwest Alaska in October for the first time in recorded history. Another first: the Northwest Passage was open to navigation.

- Still to be released is NASA data showing the remaining Arctic sea ice to be unusually thin, another record. That makes it more likely to melt in future summers. Combining the shrinking area covered by sea ice with the new thinness of the remaining ice, scientists calculate that the overall volume of ice is half of 2004's total.

- Alaska's frozen permafrost is warming, not quite thawing yet. But temperature measurements 66 feet deep in the frozen soil rose nearly four-tenths of a degree from 2006 to 2007, according to measurements from the University of Alaska. While that may not sound like much, "it's very significant," said University of Alaska professor Vladimir Romanovsky.

Greenland, in particular, is a significant bellwether. Most of its surface is covered by ice. If it completely melted - something key scientists think would likely take centuries, not decades-it could add more than 22 feet to the worlds sea level

NASA climate scientist Jay Zwally said: "At this rate, the Arctic Ocean could be nearly ice-free at the end of summer by 2012, much faster than previous predictions."

I thought this was interesting because first they were saying that the ice would be melted by 2040...wow...we are killing ourselves slowly...

I think I am gonna get out of the US before the US is washed away or burned away, or w/e xD

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Adrammalech
post Jan 4 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #32

Nothing Can express it
Group Icon

Member No.: 3145

If im not mistaken the chances of total meltdown and massive inundation along with other ambiental catasptrophes of the world are very high in this years of total stupidity in ecoglogical keeping, but if you take in accounts many actions that are being made to prevent this you cant make a true date to this "Armaggedon", because you cant know if the day of tommorow all the people of the world(I know this may never happen) will take pure actions against this menace, so people no matter what experts say never believe that >put date here< will be our end

--------------------
+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 4 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #33

It's been too long...
Group Icon

QUOTE(Resurrection @ Jan 3 2008, 11:05 PM) *

Thanks. It's puzzling to think how something that small could just pwn the earth and have such drastic consequences.

Haha, but it wouldnt really pwn the earth. It would just pwn us.

Thanks for the link btw RB.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Jan 4 2008, 04:17 PM
Post #34

Group Icon

If im not mistaken the chances of total meltdown and massive inundation along with other ambiental catasptrophes of the world are very high in this years of total stupidity in ecoglogical keeping, but if you take in accounts many actions that are being made to prevent this you cant make a true date to this "Armaggedon", because you cant know if the day of tommorow all the people of the world(I know this may never happen) will take pure actions against this menace, so people no matter what experts say never believe that >put date here< will be our end

That's true...BUT...the fact that the dates are in our lifetime is rather scary. I know not to believe exact dates...but I do know they are mostly right within a 20 year time frame xD

What's even worse is that California was trying to get the EPA to pass a law for cars for reducing the emissions they put out...but shock shock....they shot it down saying that it would be better if everyone does it as a whole and not to do it as individuals....

If that was the case, then why not pass it for all the states...why is our government this stupid to shoot that down....oh right! They don't wanna lose money....bastards rolleyes.gif

@ Steiner: Np

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Adrammalech
post Jan 4 2008, 04:20 PM
Post #35

Nothing Can express it
Group Icon

Member No.: 3145

it is right, this world is run by money and as long as greedy bastards exist in power im sure most of this actions are useless, and if someone opposes they are or head-shotted, poisoned, victim in a suicidal attacks,ect.

i am surely going to enjoy the look in their faces when the world ends, well not when the world ends when the Human species are tottally extinct

--------------------
+Quote Post
Resurrection
post Jan 4 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #36

Group Icon

QUOTE(steiner @ Jan 4 2008, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Resurrection @ Jan 3 2008, 11:05 PM) *

Haha, but it wouldnt really pwn the earth. It would just pwn us.

True. Does anybody know exactly HOW such a relatively small object could cause so much damage?

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
I AM A LIAR
+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 4 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #37

It's been too long...
Group Icon

^Well, the amount of dust that goes into the atmosphere would destroy eco-systems because many species of plants would die causing many herbivores to die. etc. If it lands in water there is a tsunami, if it lands on land, the heat given off is huge, stuff like that.

I don't know exactly but there are people who do because they've done all sorts of calculations. Of course, its possible they've missed something out but I think they'd be pretty accurate in general. Its basically just a combination of physics and biology. Physics is used to work out the damage caused and biology is used to work out the survivability of the different species in the new conditions.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Jan 7 2008, 04:05 PM
Post #38

Group Icon

Here's another question that popped into my head over the weekend...

One of the sites I was reading was saying that we are already over populated and that earth is over it's maximum capacity.

Besdies the obvious water, food, and resource shortage....would it be possible that we would drop out of the solar system?

If it did, which way would we fall? Towards the sun and burn to death, or away from the sun and go into an iceage, and freeze to death?

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Fox
post Jan 7 2008, 04:24 PM
Post #39

Ninja Fox - The Silent Menace
Group Icon

Member No.: 2280

Food and water shortages are a problem but as for the falling thing you have to remember 2 things.

Firstly, the sun's gravitational pull is too strong to be affected by weight changes on Earth. You would have to drop a moon in the sea to notice any real difference.

Secondly the mass of the Earth hardly changes at all. When people are born they are made out of the materials the Earth had to begin with. When food is eaten it releases energy which can create new cells which replace the food that has been eaten. So the overall weight doesn't really change.

--------------------
PSN: "corneliusfingers"
twitter: @corneliusfinger
Blog: Games Under the Knife
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Jan 7 2008, 04:27 PM
Post #40

Group Icon

^ Right....but I was saying IF....

If the worlds population was so much where it did effect the gravitational pull....just go with me here xD

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 07:55 AM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.