Reply to this topicStart new topic
> should we ban or keep the bomb?, i mean the atomic bomb
Stealth
post Dec 26 2007, 02:53 AM
Post #21

A Patriot

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

I just love it when people say the ends don't justify the means. How you can make such a black and white blanket statement on a topic as chaotic as war is beyond me.

Sometimes the ends can justify the means.

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Resurrection
post Dec 26 2007, 05:11 PM
Post #22

Love...the most powerful force on Earth
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 1047

I didn't say that I don't think we should have used the bomb, I just don't think war is any different than other issues. More chaotic perhaps, but not of a different nature. Should we have bombed Japan? Maybe, it's a hard decision. Sometimes you do have to take drastic measures, but nevertheless, the ends do not justify the means.

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
LIES PROTRUDE FROM THE MOUTH OF MAN, BUT EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD IS LIFE.
I AM A LIAR
+Quote Post
Fox
post Dec 26 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #23

Ninja Fox - The Silent Menace
Group Icon

Member No.: 2280

My point was not "war is disgusting", because that goes qwithout saying. My point is to say people "deserve it" is disgusting. The americans that were killed in Pearl Harbour didn't deserve it either. Its a small qualm really - semantics more than anything else and I got no problem with people thinking the bombings etc were necessary. But its that phrase "deserved it". Japan might have done, the people it actually hurt did not.

It's easy to forget the human element when we talk about countries. Funny how we say "Japan deserved to be nuked" and yet "Japan" is still around after the bombings. We dont even refer to the people.

ANyway, I got side tracked on semantics. As for now I think we have to keep the bomb. It's been invented, you can't uninvented. Even if we achieved 100% nuclear disarmament all we'd need is another war and someone would go and build one again to get the upper hand.

--------------------
PSN: "corneliusfingers"
twitter: @corneliusfinger
Blog: Games Under the Knife
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Dec 26 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #24

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

Member No.: 866

How about this Resurrection. Did the end result of taking Hitler out justify the means in which we did so ie. bombing Germany into the ground?

--------------------
IPB Image

Thanks again to Snake for another great sig. As always his work on my behalf is greatly appreciated.
+Quote Post
Fox
post Dec 26 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

^ THeres a point as well. Personally I think in most extreme cases trhe end does not justify the means...but if the end we hope to achieve is necessary we just have to live with what we do to achieve it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
silentaura
post Dec 26 2007, 09:58 PM
Post #26

HISSATSU!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2098

I can't think of a more effective, sophisticated way to cause siege mentality to people other than the atomic bomb. So from a delusive point of view I actually think that atomic bomb was a successful invention during the time. The exaggeration is needed.

--------------------
IPB Image
Shameless advertisement - FFi Forum FAQ & Rules v2.3
+Quote Post
Stealth
post Dec 27 2007, 02:30 AM
Post #27

A Patriot

QUOTE(Fox @ Dec 26 2007, 12:12 PM) *
^ THeres a point as well. Personally I think in most extreme cases trhe end does not justify the means...but if the end we hope to achieve is necessary we just have to live with what we do to achieve it.

So you're just arguing semantics again.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Chrono
post Dec 27 2007, 05:40 AM
Post #28

Royal Member

Member No.: 2318

I say : ban it. Atomic bombs are not only dangerous for us, but for the whole planet. The more we'll use them, the more it will kill the planet. So yeah, ban the Atomic Bomb, people. Sorry if that post wasn't persistent.

*sighs*

--------------------
Don'tcha wish your mooglefriend was hot like me? ~ PushyCaitSiths.
+Quote Post
JudasOne
post Dec 27 2007, 11:29 AM
Post #29

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 8730

How do you ban a bomb and enforce it without your own bombs?

+Quote Post
Stealth
post Dec 28 2007, 01:21 AM
Post #30

A Patriot

QUOTE(Chrono @ Dec 26 2007, 10:40 PM) *
I say : ban it. Atomic bombs are not only dangerous for us, but for the whole planet. The more we'll use them, the more it will kill the planet. So yeah, ban the Atomic Bomb, people. Sorry if that post wasn't persistent.

*sighs*

I wish I lived in your simple world.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Fox
post Dec 29 2007, 01:34 AM
Post #31

Group Icon

QUOTE(Stealth @ Dec 27 2007, 02:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Fox @ Dec 26 2007, 12:12 PM) *

So you're just arguing semantics again.

Well....sort of. I think its just a simple truth that stuff ent perfect and whatever is right or wrong sometimes we just have to deal with it. Not pretty from a moral standpoint but that's reality. The point is in terms of practicality getting rid of atmoic weapons is impossible. Most moral debates have a point: "Is it right to legalize this, should we ban this?" cause its activitys the public get up to that can be controlled by legislation. We cant control nuclear proliferation effectiively. And even if we do we can't even begin to hope for nuclear disarmament.

I think it might be an idea to stop building more bombs. If each country with a nuclear prgram has enough to destroy all life on Earth twice over why do we need enough to destoy it three times?

--------------------
+Quote Post
sephirothfearsme
post Dec 30 2007, 05:58 AM
Post #32

Holy Member

From: The one using the weight bench in the Shinra Building
Member No.: 4204

As previously stated, wars are never "pretty". Innocents die and "deserving" people die to. As also stated we can't "ban the bomb" as you want to call it. Someone is always trying to carry the bigger stick so to speak. Unfortunately thats what makes the world go round. People with power use the people with no power to do the work, ie I have a bomb, do as I say. It is a sad reality, but the reality none the less. We have set in motion the things that will undo humanity (I believe that anyways). We can't go back, but we could stop, but we won't because humanity will not allow it.

Kinda sobering thought,ya think?

--------------------
If you are the only one doing it, then its probably not worth doing!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2018 - 05:07 PM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.