Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Religion, What are your thoughts on religion, good or bad
Simon 89
post Dec 24 2007, 11:29 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6607

Before I start: I don't mean to offend people who have a religion. What I think is that the stories you hear are altered significantly in the thread of time, some may not be true. For instance, you could tell someone a story about yourself and if it get "passed around" it may come back to you completely different. I know it sounds irrelevant to the topic at hand, but thats how they would've been passed down through generations.

It has also been the fuel for wars that have been lasting for hundreds, maybe thousands of years to this present day. That can't be a good thing.

Religion does have its bright side as it generally teaches people to be good people. It gives people a reason to live. To have faith is good. It brings people together. However, in some cases it dictates how people live their lives.

So I think religion is both good and bad.

--------------------
IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Fox
post Dec 25 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #2

Ninja Fox - The Silent Menace
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2280

Well personally I think religion is a way of life based on a web of lies so that certain people may gain some sort of control over people. But that's just because of my aetheism and cynicism. I don't have a problem with religious people holding beliefs, even if I have a problem with the beliefs themselves. People can think whatever they want to think!

It has is up points, but in terms of "teaching people to be generally good people" - society does that anyway. Its survival instinct. Limiting the amount of murdering that goes on helps our species spread and seeing as we are weak individually it's important to be strong as a collective.

--------------------
PSN: "corneliusfingers"
twitter: @corneliusfinger
Blog: Games Under the Knife
+Quote Post
the x reaper
post Dec 25 2007, 04:30 PM
Post #3

Ultimate Member

Member No.: 11058

i think religoion is bad because youj may mant something but they cant because of religion and it creates many rows such as the mohhamed teddy bear case,also,im a athiest

This post has been edited by the x reaper: Jan 2 2008, 10:55 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Chrono
post Dec 27 2007, 05:43 AM
Post #4

Royal Member

Member No.: 2318

I'm agnostic at the moment. Religion means nothing to me, although I believe there is a God, somewhere. I guess I've just lost faith, like many people do these days. It's sad but it's true, people lose faith and / or end up changing religions until they can find their own path.

--------------------
Don'tcha wish your mooglefriend was hot like me? ~ PushyCaitSiths.
+Quote Post
Binibini
post Dec 27 2007, 06:01 AM
Post #5

Bini
Group Icon

Member No.: 9062

I think whatever brings someone peace of mind, should be respected. I grew up in a strict Mormon household and I hated all the rules that were enforced upon me but as I've gotten older there's no doubt that most of that shit was for my own good. While I consider myself Christian, I don't consider myself religious. My relationship with God pretty much runs on a love/hate track. When life goes well, we good. When life gets shitty, we ain't talkin. xD

--------------------
irockbitch
+Quote Post
Chrono
post Dec 27 2007, 06:17 AM
Post #6

Royal Member

Member No.: 2318

It's funny when you say to a priest or someone religious that you have a love/hate relationship with God, they'll look at you like a freak, saying that we're being corrupted and all that sh*t. Meh. I happened a lot to me and I must say it's quite disturbing. People should be free to have their own opinion about religions. They shouldn't be forced to get into one of them, right from birth. That's sad, because kids will grow with beliefs of their parents but not their own.

This post has been edited by Chrono: Dec 27 2007, 06:17 AM

--------------------
Don'tcha wish your mooglefriend was hot like me? ~ PushyCaitSiths.
+Quote Post
Simon 89
post Dec 29 2007, 05:30 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6607

I was born a Christian. As you can tell, I am Atheist.

Many people have cast away their faiths.

Its a shame but it comes to no suprise. The world is in such state.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
pixie~
post Dec 29 2007, 09:45 PM
Post #8

MOSH IT!

Member No.: 11008

I like the consept of religion as it give people some thing to believe in and can help people through some really bad times.. i just dont like how religon can make people feel bad about them selves and how it gives you moral guidelines and people wouldnt believe if thy were atheist..
I also dont think that people should be forced into religion from a young age as its just another form of mind warping someone in my opinion.People should be able to get into religion in there own time for there own reasons not just because of media hype or parental issues.Its not fair on the child.
I am personallly and atheist because i do not agree with some christian teachings..I think that if it was true then its only a rough guide line of whatan aparant god wanted to say..All story's change over time and people put their own opinions into it.Fir example the bible talks about how society should treat woman and how low down they are in social class.In the Begginning of the bible Men and Women are equal.. Why the sudden change ay?Christianism is very contradictory and thus i find it very hard to find any real judgement for it.When God is aparently sayine on thing..i garantee it will be contradicted in one way or another..

Thus the reason i am atheist..It seems easier just to live the one life you get instead of fascinating it onto one person that died so we can live..Wouldn't jesus have died so we can make the most of what we have and not for us to spend it buzzing around him

Sorry this is a really long post.What do you think about this

--------------------
IPB Image Married to (phoenix)<3
Thanks to Saaytin for the sig.
+Quote Post
Adrammalech
post Dec 30 2007, 01:06 AM
Post #9

Nothing Can express it
Group Icon

Member No.: 3145

Religion is an illusion tha can make both horrible and great things, called Catasthrophes or Miracles....i dont know if a deity exists but Religion is Double-edged weapon that is abused this days

--------------------
+Quote Post
silentaura
post Dec 30 2007, 01:28 AM
Post #10

HISSATSU!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2098

I'm an atheist and I'm completely comfortable with my life. I think the concept of a religion is outdated and unreasonable, because it has caused huge demographic/society problems to our world. It allows ambitious people to have differ perceptions to moral stabilization, and thus force innocent commoners to be under their control. To me it just seems a waste of time, and it's not for everyone, especially to extremists.

But on a brighter note for religion, I do like many traditional aspects of most of them. For instance, a western style wedding, or the cross for fashion purposes from Christianity. So to put simply, relgions are nice to have, but to many degrees that it's so flawed, it's ultimately harmful.

--------------------
IPB Image
Shameless advertisement - FFi Forum FAQ & Rules v2.3
+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 1 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #11

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

While I wouldnt say religion is bad by definition, much evil does come from religion, mainly due to extremism and misinterpretation instead of being a consequnce of the actual teachings themseleves. However, of course, good comes from it as well.

Like Silentaura, I too think that religion is outdated and unnecessary in a modern society.

Another bad point about religion is that it isn't logical. It teaches people to abandon their logic and from the abandonment of logic comes prejudice and hate.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
Dark Yuna
post Jan 1 2008, 04:39 PM
Post #12

Browncoat
Group Icon

Member No.: 2258

Religion can be bad in the concept of extremist acts, but it's also good for teaching morality.

I am an atheist, and as one, I do not believe in the idea of religion. I don't mind if people choose to believe in it, but I definitely do not. If people believe in things such as 'Biblical miracles' (e.g. the Parting of the Red Sea), then let them. I don't believe in things until there is sufficient evidence to show that it is real.

--------------------
IPB Image

Married to Kira Lee and fierytempest

+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 1 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #13

It's been too long...
Group Icon

^On a related, interesting point about the Red sea. Its actually very possible that they ment the Reed sea, because at certain times there are large enough storms to part the reed sea, allowing a pathway through to the other side.

http://www.mystae.com/restricted/streams/thera/reedsea.html

Religion is often based on truth, but twisted over time. Sometime unrecognisably so.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
+Quote Post
Dark Yuna
post Jan 1 2008, 04:55 PM
Post #14

Browncoat
Group Icon

Member No.: 2258

^ That's actually very interesting...thanks for posting that link.

--------------------
IPB Image

Married to Kira Lee and fierytempest

+Quote Post
Resurrection
post Jan 2 2008, 01:28 AM
Post #15

Love...the most powerful force on Earth
Group Icon

Member No.: 1047

QUOTE(pixie~ @ Dec 29 2007, 04:45 PM) *

I am personallly and atheist because i do not agree with some christian teachings.

Nothing personal, but that's really not a good reason to be an atheist. Just because Christianity seems to have a monopoly on the Western concept of God, and you don't agree with Christianity does not mean that there is no God. It is possible that God exists but that Christianity isn't completely true.

About the Bible saying that women are inferior to men, that's really not true. They simply have differrent roles in marriage. Paul compares husband and wife to Christ and the Church. Christ gives Himself for the Church and the Church sumbits to Him. Similarly, the wife should submit to the husband's wishes and the husband should be willing to die for is wife.

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
LIES PROTRUDE FROM THE MOUTH OF MAN, BUT EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD IS LIFE.
I AM A LIAR
+Quote Post
Fox
post Jan 2 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

^ I think an reason to be an atheist is a "good" one. And it works conversly as well. It's not one of htose things where you can draw aline and say "this is a valid reason". It's just what you believe. Is there a bad reason to believe in God? "I am a Chrisitan because I don't agree with the ideas of atheists"?

If all you're saying is "I believe this because the other is wrong" then you must be saying "I believe this is right".

And he said he doesn't believe the Christian teachings: one of those teachings is "there is a god". Seems a vaild enough reason for atheism to me!

Finally: I'm not sure about that Church thing.... in this modern day if a man dies for his wife he is noble, if a wife submits to her husband she is weak. Yes they are different roles in a marriage, but would you prefer to be noble or weak?

--------------------
+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 2 2008, 05:20 PM
Post #17

It's been too long...
Group Icon

QUOTE(Fox @ Jan 2 2008, 04:42 PM) *

^ I think an reason to be an atheist is a "good" one.

I disagree with that. I think some people are atheists for illogical reasons such as being beaten by their Christian parents or something like that.

Personally, I think that the vast majority of religious people are religious for the wrong reasons.

And he said he doesn't believe the Christian teachings: one of those teachings is "there is a god". Seems a vaild enough reason for atheism to me!

Sneaky point there. The thing is we dont know what teachings he means when he says 'some teachings.' Both of you interpreted it differently.

By the way, Im not convinced that the Bible as a whole teaches definite equality between men and women. If you read Paul's letters they say that women should submit to the authority of men whereas other quotes say that all people are equal.

Its very dodgy stuff.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Fox
post Jan 2 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Good points...I overlooked possible reasons for both theism and atheism there. Where's the line between valid and invalid reasons then?

--------------------
+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 2 2008, 05:30 PM
Post #19

It's been too long...
Group Icon

^For me all valid reasons are logical and all invalid reasons are either illogical or without evidence.

I think your reasoning should be logical and supported by some kind of evidence, otherwise I see little reason why people should take your viewpoints seriously. I dont think faith alone can be a valid reason. Faith is all too easily misplaced.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Fox
post Jan 2 2008, 07:18 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

^ I'm all for not taking seriously someone who's viewpoint is based on what you consider to be an invalid reason, but on a personal level can you look at someone and say "It doesn't matter what you believe, WHY you believe it is wrong".

Let's say you ask someone what 2+2 is and they say 5. They must have a reson for saying 5. One person got 5 by adding 2 on from 2 and counting wrong, another person was told from birth that the number system goes 1,2,3,5,6, and a 3rd just plucked "5" out of thin air.

Which of those are valid reasons for believing in their answers? On a personal level, I htink all 3 are. But on a debating level I would only take the first two reasons seriously because they have a reasonable basis.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2018 - 08:40 AM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.