Resurrection
post Jan 2 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #21

Love...the most powerful force on Earth
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 1047

QUOTE(steiner @ Jan 2 2008, 12:20 PM) *

By the way, Im not convinced that the Bible as a whole teaches definite equality between men and women. If you read Paul's letters they say that women should submit to the authority of men whereas other quotes say that all people are equal.

Well, I don't think submission implies inequality. They have different roles and this implies different amounts of power. But God would still view them as equals and judge them the same. Just like the average Joe and the President should be judged the same in a court of law.

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
LIES PROTRUDE FROM THE MOUTH OF MAN, BUT EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD IS LIFE.
I AM A LIAR
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 2 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #22

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

^So would it be fair if white people were given more power than black people? Would that still be equality in your eyes?

I see where you're coming from about the President, common man comparison. They are both equal in that the laws apply equally to both of them. However, they aren't really equal. The views of one man affect the world much more than the views of the other.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
Resurrection
post Jan 2 2008, 10:59 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

QUOTE(steiner @ Jan 2 2008, 05:43 PM) *

^So would it be fair if white people were given more power than black people? Would that still be equality in your eyes?

Haha, good point. No, in a sense that's not equality. But I would have to say that males and females were given different divinely-intended roles, something that white people and black people don't share. There are advantages and disadvantages to both roles, like I was saying. Would you rather be the one expected to take a bullet for your wife or would you rather submit to your husband? Going back to the Christ and Church comparison.

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
LIES PROTRUDE FROM THE MOUTH OF MAN, BUT EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD IS LIFE.
I AM A LIAR
+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 2 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #24

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

QUOTE(Resurrection @ Jan 2 2008, 10:59 PM) *

QUOTE(steiner @ Jan 2 2008, 05:43 PM) *

Haha, good point. No, in a sense that's not equality. But I would have to say that males and females were given different divinely-intended roles, something that white people and black people don't share. There are advantages and disadvantages to both roles, like I was saying. Would you rather be the one expected to take a bullet for your wife or would you rather submit to your husband? Going back to the Christ and Church comparison.

Yeah, thats a lot like the Muslim argument as well. That both males and females are equal but they have significantly different roles.

But is that fair I still wonder. Its certainly not clear cut, and it can easily be taken too far. Is it right to force certain roles upon people? Why did Paul say that women should not speak in Church or become priests?

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
Resurrection
post Jan 3 2008, 02:18 AM
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE(steiner @ Jan 2 2008, 06:08 PM) *

But is that fair I still wonder. Its certainly not clear cut, and it can easily be taken too far. Is it right to force certain roles upon people? Why did Paul say that women should not speak in Church or become priests?

It would certainly be right if it were the will of an omnibenevolent God, but probably not if it is the will of men.

Paul made some suggestions as a matter of discipline (the part about speaking in church), and not about morality. He also said something like "I do not permit that a woman should have authority over a man." I don't he said anything directly about an all-male clergy, but I'm sure he believed it. That goes back to gender roles. An all-male clergy, on the other hand, is something of faith and morals that the Catholic Church believes should be kept, although some Protestants would beg to differ.

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
I AM A LIAR
+Quote Post
silentaura
post Jan 3 2008, 02:28 AM
Post #26

HISSATSU!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2098

I would just to like to mention that the problem in Asia-Pacific countries, many people feel no conformity to Christianity due to the broad diversity of opinions. Not everyone accepts to be blindfolded by a religion that is far linked not only in distance but also made by a different cultural system. Fearing selfish philosophy being embraced by a touch of a pessimistic. Same concept as one were to fear the death, fear the unknown. Also, revisionists ways of trying to form more absolutes doesn't help either. Not everyone have the same interpretation, which would leads to possible misconception, leaving people dazed and confused.

Buddhism seems the best fit for them. More sophisticated and less pressure.

--------------------
IPB Image
Shameless advertisement - FFi Forum FAQ & Rules v2.3
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2018 - 01:32 PM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.