> One Big Fairytale, The most well known book to man, the Bible
Fox
post Jan 2 2008, 04:54 PM
Post #41

Ninja Fox - The Silent Menace
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2280

^I think the rest of that was disclaimed in other parts of the bible!

--------------------
PSN: "corneliusfingers"
twitter: @corneliusfinger
Blog: Games Under the Knife
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Jan 2 2008, 05:00 PM
Post #42

I dunno what I just saw.........
Group Icon

Member No.: 6298

It also says "thou shalt not judge, or ye be judged thyself" or some shit....so that is kind of a contradiction no?

If you're gay, or don't believe as we do, you will burn in hell....That's judging, is it not?

I was watching a protest and they were saying all kinds of things like this...people piss me off...it's their life, who the hell are they to make desisions for someone elses life ya know?

--------------------
Loving whipping e-wife to the sexy sexy ShymanDawn!!<3

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Fox
post Jan 2 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #43

Group Icon

Yeah... it is rather odd how people who follow the same teachings can arrive at so many different conclusions. Personally I think all "teachings" should be critically analyzed. I cant get my head around the "I'll take your word for it" attitude of religion.

That's all faith is. Believing blindly without independent thought. Some people think on the subject and arrive at the conclusion christianity or whatever is right although I dont agree with the conclusions I agree with their way of thinking. The bible is too contradictory and pretty damn bloodthirsty to be taken as fact without independent thought I find.

--------------------
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Jan 2 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #44

Group Icon

Totally agree.....I was raised and baptised mormon, left the church when I was 14. The bishop caught me smokin pot outside, and he called my mom out of her class to talk to me & him...My response was: God said to layeth down in the green grass" laugh.gif

Anyways...I asked him a bunch of questions, and all he could answer was "Heavenly Father works in his own ways"

What kinda BS is that?

I told him he didn't know shit, and that the whole religion thing is BS...I got ex-communicated for a couple other various reasons...but yeah xD

At 8 years old, Southern Baptists told me I was going to hell because I was a mormon.
Judge much?

Religion pisses me off....seriously irritates me.

There is a lot more I could go off on, but I won't...

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 2 2008, 05:12 PM
Post #45

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

The Bible clearly states that being gay is a sin throughout.

Its advice is also often contradictory, so in those cases you can interpret it pretty much how you like.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Jan 2 2008, 05:15 PM
Post #46

Group Icon

^ I do not remember anything in the bible about it...honestly. (but it has been a few years...ok..10 years, since I read the bible xD)

Besides...even if it is a sin in the bible...according to the bible, it is God that judges, not all of the christian followers....that is judging, and thou shalt not judge wink.gif

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 2 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #47

It's been too long...
Group Icon

^Exactly.

Yet, by the same logic you shouldnt put anyone in prison, since that is judging them.

See the confused mess that occurs due to the different quotations in the Bible?

First it's telling you to wage holy wars, then it's telling you to turn the other cheek, then it's telling that Jews are superior to other races, and then it starts saying all races are equal, then its saying that women are inferior to men and then its saying that all people are equal. It does my head in sometimes.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Jan 2 2008, 05:29 PM
Post #48

Group Icon

Yet, by the same logic you shouldnt put anyone in prison, since that is judging them.

No...because this is "Mans law" and you will be punished for breaking mans law.

First it's telling you to wage holy wars, then it's telling you to turn the other cheek, then it's telling that Jews are superior to other races, and then it starts saying all races are equal, then its saying that women are inferior to men and then its saying that all people are equal. It does my head in sometimes.

Don't forget that being gay, murder, cheating & stealing is a sin, but "God forgives"

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
JudasOne
post Jan 2 2008, 05:34 PM
Post #49

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 8730

Genesis 1:29
Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it.

Sounds like he approved of pot use at least.

+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 2 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #50

It's been too long...
Group Icon

QUOTE(rainbowbrat @ Jan 2 2008, 05:29 PM) *

I think you're mising my point. Say if man decided that being gay, like stealing is a sin. The next logical step would then be to create laws to punish any gay acts and also create laws to punish any theft.

You say that it is unfair to punish gay acts and put the 'offenders' in prison because the Bible says that God is the one who must judge, even if man were to create a law commanding it. Likewise, by that same logic it would be unfair for Christians to punish theft because by punishing them, you are judging them in a court of law.

Essentially, if man's laws were based on Christianity, by your logic there would be no laws at all since laws cannot be upheld without punishment.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Jan 2 2008, 05:41 PM
Post #51

Group Icon

QUOTE(steiner @ Jan 2 2008, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(rainbowbrat @ Jan 2 2008, 05:29 PM) *

I think you're mising my point. Say if man decided that being gay, like stealing is a sin. The next logical step would then be to create laws to punish any gay acts and also create laws to punish any theft.

You say that it is unfair to punish gay acts and put the 'offenders' in prison because the Bible says that God is the one who must judge, even if man were to create a law commanding it. Likewise, by that same logic it would be unfair for Christians to punish theft because by punishing them, you are judging them in a court of law.

OH OK! LOL, Gotchya...but the only problem with that is:

Essentially, if man's laws were based on Christianity, by your logic there would be no laws at all since laws cannot be upheld without punishment.

Religion and politics are not suppose to reflect on each other....State must be seperate from religion....But since America is such a religious country, they seem to have forgotten that small little detail and mixed them anyway.

And that was what I was basing my logic off of....seperatism. xD

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 2 2008, 05:45 PM
Post #52

It's been too long...
Group Icon

^I agree. I dont think religion is capable of being used effectively in politics anyway. Its far too wishy washy.

All I was saying back then was that, by your logic (I love that phrase XD) Christians should believe that putting thieves in prison is wrong.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
JudasOne
post Jan 2 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #53

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 8730

The church and state should be seperated. Just so happens that the 10 commandments cover most laws in a broad sense.

http://www.allabouttruth.org/10-commandments.htm
+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 2 2008, 05:54 PM
Post #54

It's been too long...
Group Icon

^Except half of them are pretty rubbish by modern day standards.

Its true though that it does agree with some of the fundamental laws. But religion isn't needed to make those fundamental laws anyway.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Fox
post Jan 2 2008, 06:31 PM
Post #55

Group Icon

Check the US constitution! There is no doubt that when America was founded it was intedned to be a secular nation which did not take religion into its politics. How irnoic that that seems to have been reversed whilst the UK, whose government was founded on the church of England, manages to separate the two.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Nick
post Jan 2 2008, 07:03 PM
Post #56

The Captain
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 646

QUOTE(rainbowbrat @ Dec 31 2007, 02:23 PM) *

I'm sure paganism comes into this somewhere, but I've long given up debating in here. I'll just throw that in there

Pagans do not have the same bible as christians....afterall..pagans are not christian. So paganism should not come into play anywhere. UNLESS you are speaking of how the christians took some of the pagans ways and turned them into something for themselves. IE: Christmas. (just 1 off the top of my head)

I meant the whole agnostic debate thing. NVM.

--------------------
The damnation of Faust. Man sells his soul to the devil. All ends in tears, these arrangements usually do.
Married to my MUCH LOVED Drunken Pirating Wench Michiko
+Quote Post
silentaura
post Jan 2 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #57

HISSATSU!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2098

lol lame bait

I'm a metrosexual inside out if you're wondering. Think of the analogies. XD

--------------------
IPB Image
Shameless advertisement - FFi Forum FAQ & Rules v2.3
+Quote Post
Resurrection
post Jan 2 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #58

Love...the most powerful force on Earth
Group Icon

Member No.: 1047

QUOTE(steiner @ Jan 2 2008, 05:47 AM) *

Thats good to hear. Out of curiousity, do you also believe that Adam came before Eve?
And do you believe in evolution?

I would suppose that Adam came before Eve, but it's hard to say. I believe in theistic evolution (evolution guided by God), as opposed to atheistic evolution (completely random, I think), what they teach you in biology class.

QUOTE(Fox @ Jan 2 2008, 11:32 AM) *

One thing that has always bugged me about the logic of Christianity:

Jesus was a Jew. King of the Jews. But those who follow Jesus follow a different religion. So in worshipping Jesus and accepting him as the Saviour, and more to the point starting a new religion form him, arfn't you saying that Jesus himself was wrong?

There's something screwy going on there...

Jesus was the King of the Jews because He was descended from David, the first King of the Jews. The throne was inherited.

Guys, the Bible does not say that being gay is a sin, it says that practicing homosexuality is a sin. There is a difference. And when it says "Do not judge" I would assume that to mean to not judge whether a person is going to heaven or hell. If we couldn't make judgments in everyday life things would get really screwed up.

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
LIES PROTRUDE FROM THE MOUTH OF MAN, BUT EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD IS LIFE.
I AM A LIAR
+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 2 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #59

It's been too long...
Group Icon

QUOTE(Resurrection @ Jan 2 2008, 10:42 PM) *

Thats good to hear. Out of curiousity, do you also believe that Adam came before Eve?

I would suppose that Adam came before Eve, but it's hard to say. I believe in theistic evolution (evolution guided by God), as opposed to atheistic evolution (completely random, I think), what they teach you in biology class.

How exactly can you have theistic evolution? I can understand God creating a world in which he allowed evolution to occur in order to produce humans, but is that what you meant?

And also Atheistic evolution isn't really random in the sense that most people mean, since its all based upon probability. While the individual mutations themselves occur sort of randomly, the end result is not random. The probability that highly adapted creatures will be born after millions of years is very high indeed. All that is required for evolution to occur is the chance that things will mutate. How fast mutation occurs determines the speed of evolution.

I could have just misinterpreted what you meant though.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Resurrection
post Jan 2 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #60

Love...the most powerful force on Earth
Group Icon

Member No.: 1047

QUOTE(steiner @ Jan 2 2008, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Resurrection @ Jan 2 2008, 10:42 PM) *

How exactly can you have theistic evolution? I can understand God creating a world in which he allowed evolution to occur in order to produce humans, but is that what you meant?

Yes, basically. Also, He may have caused the genetic mutations that led to the development of Mankind.

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
LIES PROTRUDE FROM THE MOUTH OF MAN, BUT EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD IS LIFE.
I AM A LIAR
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2018 - 02:32 AM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.