Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fanboy Potential ?
Shameless
post Jan 11 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #1

Restoring Order !

Group: Members
Member No.: 2662

Has FFXII got what it takes to stand the test of time ? In 5 years, 10 years time will it have the following that say, FFVII, has ?

For me, apart from FFIX, FFXII has been the best Final Fantasy Outta the series. This makes me wonder, considering How unpopular FFIX had been with fans wether FFXII is to folllow in its path and be shunned in 5 years time by Fanboys.

Will it have as loyal a fanbase as FFVII, FFVIII & FFX ?

--------------------

IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rainbowbrat
post Jan 11 2008, 03:28 PM
Post #2

I dunno what I just saw.........
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 6298

I don't think it will....BUT, there is always that chance...

I do not think it will because it is not as good as VII or X (I didn't play VIII)

It doesn't have the same magic, story, developement, sound, feel to it that the others had.

But I could always be wrong happy.gif

--------------------
Loving whipping e-wife to the sexy sexy ShymanDawn!!<3

IPB Image

+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 11 2008, 03:53 PM
Post #3

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

I dont think it will. One reason is because it was the last FF on the PS2 and FFIX was last on the PS1 meaning the graphics didnt have the wow factor.

Also, the story is less popular with people overall, probably because of its lack of emotion conveying dialogue and the subtleness of the writing.

I loved the game but I think FFXII will probably not have much of a fan following.

How unpopular FFIX had been with fans

I dont think it was unpopular with true FF fans. (I mean Sakaguchi even said that FFIX was the best FF - and to be a true FF fan you have to like Sakaguchi's work)

But it was less popular with the FFVII and FFVIII generation because it didnt panda to them, instead producing something much greater than all other Final Fantasys to date. Of course, that last statement is obviously fact.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
Chrono
post Jan 11 2008, 07:22 PM
Post #4

Royal Member

Member No.: 2318

My answer is no.
It will always be about FF7.

--------------------
Don'tcha wish your mooglefriend was hot like me? ~ PushyCaitSiths.
+Quote Post
-josh-
post Jan 12 2008, 12:50 PM
Post #5

Bleh
Group Icon

Member No.: 1975

Some.But not alot.
To many FF7 fanboys in the world all ready!

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Chrono
post Jan 12 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #6

Royal Member

I'm not a FF7 fanboy. I'm only pointing that out. Suikoden games are so much better, IMO. Even Xenosaga III beats FF7, in my heart. The thing is, FFXII is all about fights and strategies, if you don't have that, you have nothing. Because the storylines aren't that great and the characters are boring to death. (sorry fans)

How can I say a game is perfect to be a fanboy(girls)'s game? It must have good storylines, decent battle system, good soundtracks, memorable characters and replay value. Which means : FF12 fails to all that (maybe, except the battle system) and other games can be so much better.

Well... That just an opinion. I don't want to start a flaming war, okay? ^^

This post has been edited by Chrono: Jan 12 2008, 10:21 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tidus1
post Jan 14 2008, 12:31 PM
Post #7

Ultimate Member

Member No.: 11856

porbably not because by then there will be final fantasy XIV,XV and probablyXVI and everyone will be talking about them

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
masquerade
post Feb 13 2008, 05:49 PM
Post #8

Don't you want to dance in the heart of Hades?

Member No.: 2133

While I think FFXII had a lot of great elements-- I think it shall not achieve the status of FFVII. It may maintain a cult following (similar to FFIX, if that could be called "cult.") I both love and hate it. It did a lot right but became to MMORPG-like at stages. Which is probably why many criticize the story for being broken.

But fanboy status is something else entirely. I agree with the fact FFXII took a mature role in not making effort to pamper us and assume we are kids. But it lacks stupid hair, an angst ridden protagonist (Cloud) and a big girl of a boss (Sephiroth.) FFVII fanboy's are the worst I have encountered, and while being a good game for it's time-- there was an awful lot of garbage involved aswell. My relationship with Nomura is one of love and hate. He delivers annoying characters time after time, with the odd jewel-- but his art-design is rather exceptional.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Chrono
post Feb 13 2008, 06:20 PM
Post #9

Royal Member

At least, Cloud and Sephiroth were more credible as characters...

*feels annoyed*

--------------------
+Quote Post
N2Y
post Feb 13 2008, 06:35 PM
Post #10

Wiiii Love PS3... and Jessica Alba! And Penelope Cruz!
Group Icon

Member No.: 734

Probably not.

There are a couple of FF games that shined, which were FF4, FF6, FF7, FF8 and FF10.

They all brought something really unique to the series. Where FF4 finally brought a well-figured out story, FF6 went a step further and really touched some people (amazing that a 64-bit or whatever it was kinda game can do that.)

FF7 was the first 3D Final Fantasy, plus had such a shocker near the beginning, many people see it as the best FF.

FF8 was the first to bring romance to the center of attention (no game has beaten that, alright), music quality on par with music these days, the first real sung theme song and amazingly beautiful cinematics.

FF10 was the first PS2 Final Fantasy WITH VOICES. Aside from that, it went to a whole different vibe with all the Asian influences.

Those FFs were unique and brought something to the series that has been used afterwards every single time.

FF9 and FF12 on the other hand, though one of the best titles for sure, lacked those new things that every FF would need to use.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
masquerade
post Feb 14 2008, 01:22 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 2133

QUOTE(Chrono @ Feb 13 2008, 06:20 PM) *

At least, Cloud and Sephiroth were more credible as characters...

*feels annoyed*

Heh, credible? Yes, a one-winged lady-boy who is actually a res evil style experiment; with long silver hair and a longer blade. Cloud being yet another angst-ridden teen who really ought to shut up and get on with life, not to mention his ludicrous hair. He began as an annoying brat and somehow turned into an enigmatic quiet character. Now if that does not scream believable-- I do not know what does. wink.gif FFVII is good, do not get me wrong. But the moment you get delusional about elements of the tale-- you are lost to fanboism. Every FF is the same, nothing profound or remotely intelligent ever happens with the tale or characters.

Newto, I would disagree. I think both IX and XII brought something new to the table. IX took a different approach to the art style and actually made effort to buy a new horse, instead of kicking an old one back to life. It opted for something outside of Nomura's annoying thesis that "every male character has to be more female than the female character's themselves".

XII took a rather 'mature' approach to FF, even if it was still heavily lacking in areas. It believed you had the competence to understand subtleties and were capable enough of proceeding without too much help; instead of treating you like a drooling baby, rubbing your back, and giving you a nudge every two minutes to make sure you were still breathing: it allowed you room for thought.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Chrono
post Feb 14 2008, 02:11 PM
Post #12

Royal Member

Edit : Nevermind, I misread something.

This post has been edited by Chrono: Feb 14 2008, 02:28 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
N2Y
post Feb 14 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE(masquerade @ Feb 14 2008, 02:22 PM) *

Heh, credible? Yes, a one-winged lady-boy who is actually a res evil style experiment; with long silver hair and a longer blade. Cloud being yet another angst-ridden teen who really ought to shut up and get on with life, not to mention his ludicrous hair. He began as an annoying brat and somehow turned into an enigmatic quiet character. Now if that does not scream believable-- I do not know what does. wink.gif FFVII is good, do not get me wrong. But the moment you get delusional about elements of the tale-- you are lost to fanboism. Every FF is the same, nothing profound or remotely intelligent ever happens with the tale or characters.

I completely agree on the first part. Realistic my @$$. However, imo every FF had its intelligent moments. FFVII with the dramatic ending of Aerith and the shocking revealing of Cloud's real past, for example. FFVIII with every character having their own personality which extremely affected the progress of the story (if Squall would've been a bit more social and Rinoa a bit less over-emotional, things would've gone a lot easier). FFX had a story very well thought-out, where you have to puzzle all events together to understand the real story behind it (still people asking who Yevon is and Tidus being a dream ,etc).

Just naming a few, of course.

Then again, all those FF games also had its flaws in the story, which proves your point. FFVII with the fairly shallow stories behind most characters aside from Cloud and Sephiroth, FFVIII with the ingenious Guardian Forces gone mental-erasing-to-hide-plot-holes part, and FFX with the painful to watch cutscenes (the infamous "laughing" scene, anyone?) for example.

Newto, I would disagree. I think both IX and XII brought something new to the table. IX took a different approach to the art style and actually made effort to buy a new horse, instead of kicking an old one back to life. It opted for something outside of Nomura's annoying thesis that "every male character has to be more female than the female character's themselves".

I'll have to disagree, sorry. Yes it showed a new art direction, but has it been used afterwards? No, FFX, FFXI and FFXII all went into the direction FFVIII had gone.

As for the new horse and the old one kicking back to life, FFIX was all about using elements from the old horse and it was kicked around in the game massively. Not necessarily a bad thing, it was enlightening for a lot of gamers, but it was not that new horse of yours.

XII took a rather 'mature' approach to FF, even if it was still heavily lacking in areas. It believed you had the competence to understand subtleties and were capable enough of proceeding without too much help; instead of treating you like a drooling baby, rubbing your back, and giving you a nudge every two minutes to make sure you were still breathing: it allowed you room for thought.

Which wasn't really helpful in a lot of situations. Don't know how long I've been walking around that desert, nor how long it took me to figure out how to use certain rings and key stones to proceed on in the game.

I get where you're coming from and most things I agree, but I keep by my point that says that FFIX and FFXII did not bring big key elements to the franchise that all future-games use(d). (although FFXIII seems to use the intelligent way of story-telling that FFXII had)

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Chrono
post Feb 15 2008, 01:21 AM
Post #14

Royal Member

(although FFXIII seems to use the intelligent way of story-telling that FFXII had)

What do you mean by that? shok.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
N2Y
post Feb 15 2008, 08:11 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE(Chrono @ Feb 15 2008, 02:21 AM) *

(although FFXIII seems to use the intelligent way of story-telling that FFXII had)

What do you mean by that? shok.gif

FFXIII uses a lot of political influences in the story that was truly introduced in Final Fantasy with the Matsuno-games.

And FFXII was the first big-name Final Fantasy title (as Tactics for example used politics as well heavily, but not many fans played the game)

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Feb 15 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #16

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

Member No.: 866

^I just hope that FFXIII's story gives us more character interaction between the main party members.

--------------------
IPB Image

Thanks again to Snake for another great sig. As always his work on my behalf is greatly appreciated.
+Quote Post
N2Y
post Feb 15 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE(joesmith123 @ Feb 15 2008, 12:53 PM) *

^I just hope that FFXIII's story gives us more character interaction between the main party members.

Same here. Plus I hope romance will also be an element again.

No matter how I look at it, FFVIII and FFX are my favourite titles in the franchise, and somehow I think it has to do with the fact that both had love as a central theme.

I'm not a romantic guy, not as much as Id wanna be, but the thing is, love stories work, most of the times. It makes characters vulnerable, for one. In FFXII, the characters that could have been vulnerable (Vaan and Ashe mostly) lacked any sense of vulnerability. Especially Ashe.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Feb 15 2008, 09:22 PM
Post #18

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

^I agree totally. The love theme gave the characters a reason to be risking their lives for one another. I just didn't get that same feeling in FFXII when it seemed like as soon as the party got together they bonded out of no where and just decided to take on a huge quest.

--------------------
IPB Image

Thanks again to Snake for another great sig. As always his work on my behalf is greatly appreciated.
+Quote Post
steiner
post Feb 15 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #19

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

Problem with love in FF games is that its usually so damn cheesy.

I mean, I love FFVIII but the SquallxRinoa romance seemed shockingly forced and fake. Thankfully it was saved by the other aspects of the plot and the game in general. But I still cringe at the memory. I cringed at times during FFX as well (laughing scene!). Still an awesome game though.

FFXII had much less that was cringe worthy (cept Vaan). It was an intelligent game that was linguistically powerful despite its failure to convey any significant emotion. Some of the quotes in it are gold though, and they often hide a deeper layer. Although I do think Matsuno failed to make his work deep enough to rank it as being close to a masterpiece. In a way it was all style and no substance. But boy was the style good.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Feb 16 2008, 01:25 PM
Post #20

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

^The style was good, but there was not enough of it. As soon as I felt like I was just starting to know the characters the game was coming to an end and I was at the last boss. I liked the more open ended nature of the world, no random battles, character designs, etc. but the story or lack thereof really ruined the game for me. What made it worse was that I had waited so long for it, but perhaps all that hope/hype that I had set the game up for failure.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2018 - 09:13 AM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.