> FFXII/ FFXIII Story Similarities
Grivenger
post Jan 14 2008, 09:38 PM
Post #1

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 553

I know all the FFs tend to have similarities story-wise, like the rebellion vs empire stuff, however, I've noticed (and was not the only one) that the FFXIII's writers (which were the same ones from FFX) are trying to make a story that resembles more your average Matsuno's plot (in this case, FFXII's), with all the grey-ish characters and politics, instead of sticking to the style we are used to from them (FFVII's, FFVIII's, FFX's).

Here are the following similarities between both stories:

FFXIII's:
Cocoon's government is using crystals with the power to change man's destiny to force those on Pulse to work against their will. In turn, the citizens of Pulse are rebelling. Lightning, a woman chosen by the crystal to destroy mankind/ a world/ Cocoon's world, is leading the Pulse's rebellion, and through the first part of the story, she will not know which side Mr33cm is on. All the party members will not gather together to save the world.
One of FFXIII's themes: "Going against the world"

Now let's look at FFXII's:
The Archadian Empire is using nethicite with the power to change man's destiny/ history to take over neighbouring kingdoms and forcing their inhabitants to work against their will. In turn a selection of people of Dalmasca are rebelling. Ashe, a woman chosen by the Occuria to destroy the empire, is leading the Dalmasca's rebellion. Through the first part of the story, she will not know which side some of her comrades are on (Ondore, Vossler, Basch, Balthier, etc). All the party members did not gather together to save the world, nor ended ever doing so through the entire story.
One of FFXII's themes: "Going against the empire"

I'm not trying to say that all this is a bad thing. Quite the contrary, actually. I'm happy to see Nojima handling a more political-driven story with more grey-ish characters. Besides, it is not like this means that FFXIII's story will be very similar to FFXII's. I'm expecting it to be quite different, mainly for the fact that Nojima has a totally different writing style than Matsuno's.

It's as if Nojima thought of something like: "I liked some of the FFXII's concepts, so unfortunate that its story was never completed and lived to its maximum potential. I wonder how a story would be if I took some of those concepts, and then changed and developed them with my own style?"

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
steiner
post Jan 14 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #2

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

^I think that theory is very possible. In fact, I was sorta thinking along those lines myself.

From what we know about the characters in FFXIII and FFvXIII (although thats Nomura), is that the characters are very greyish. Is Lightning good? Is Versus guy good? I doubt there'll be a simple answer. Especially not for Versus guy.

I mean, the quotation from Hamlet at the beginning of FFvXIII's trailer is 'There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so'. FFvXIII also sounds quite political with its mention of the Cold War which was fought over the crystals.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
Chrono
post Jan 14 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #3

Royal Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2318

The first time I played a FF political related game, it was with FF6 and it worked. Kefka, the empire, the espers, everything was perfect. FF12 wasn't that great in my opinion and now they're retaking the same ideas for Final Fantasy 13s. I only wonder if it'll be better than XII. I'm kinda skeptical about all this.

--------------------
Don'tcha wish your mooglefriend was hot like me? ~ PushyCaitSiths.
+Quote Post
Grivenger
post Jan 14 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #4

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Chrono @ Jan 14 2008, 11:00 PM) *

The first time I played a FF political related game, it was with FF6 and it worked. Kefka, the empire, the espers, everything was perfect. FF12 wasn't that great in my opinion and now they're retaking the same ideas for Final Fantasy 13s. I only wonder if it'll be better than XII. I'm kinda skeptical about all this.

The problems of FFXII's story do not lie on its concepts and ideas, which were awesome, but more on their execution. FFXIII's writer is totally different, so the execution will be as well.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Snake
post Jan 14 2008, 11:23 PM
Post #5

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 955

Well, this is cool, I guess. If the execution is done well, then I won't complain. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Sabin
post Jan 14 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #6

Viking
Group Icon

Member No.: 1334

^That is what I also think. FF XII's story had the potential to be the best in the series. Unfortunately they failed. Why? There's not enough to make the player pleased.
It felt incomplete. The parts that I got to see I liked very much. Problem is that when Matsuno left the game someone else with a completely different view on storytelling took his role.

Just think how the game would have turned out with Matsuno on form.
The senate, sigh, it could had been so intriguing. Seeing more of the judges, more of the rivalry between Vayne and Larsa. Maybe a flashback from Vaynes memory, showing his other brothers etc.

I mean the game isn't consistent. In the beginning everything seems more tragic. Later it feels too lighthearted. One could see what was the ideas of Matsuno.

FF XIII can turn out to be as FF XII, I have no clue. If only they get everything right, I'm all for a political plot.

--------------------
Final Fantasy XIII, a PS3 and 360 exclusive.
+Quote Post
Grivenger
post Jan 14 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #7

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

To quote Kitase: "FFXIII will be the evolution of FFX"

They can take the many ideas they want from FFXII, hell, they can even take ideas from Barbie games: The game will still ultimately have a style and execution extremely close to FFX's.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Sabin
post Jan 14 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #8

Viking
Group Icon

Member No.: 1334

Probably, but we know the battle system will be more like FF XII, but faster. We'll have to wait and see with the story.
I hope it's political, but how they do it is another question.

--------------------
Final Fantasy XIII, a PS3 and 360 exclusive.
+Quote Post
Grivenger
post Jan 15 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #9

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sabin @ Jan 14 2008, 11:38 PM) *

Probably, but we know the battle system will be more like FF XII, but faster.

We know that based on the statements of an english magazine. In truth, based on the developers interviews, we know that although it will take many of FFXII's best battle features (no random encounters, etc), it will still be a very unique system at its own.

FFXIII will take the ATB system to the next level. It will feature a ATB that makes battles look like those of AC, that manages to be as strategical as FFX's CTB if not more, that manages to be faster than FFX-2's, than manages to be almost as seamless and dimensional, if not more, than FFXII's.

So although the "like FFXII's battles but better" statement might be technically true, it makes us think that FFXIII will have another MMORPG + Gambits system, which is *not* the case. (It might have gambits, it might not, but it is already obvious that it plays nothing like a MMO, and that already makes it very different from FFXII's ADB)

I hope it's political, but how they do it is another question.

Nojima had done a good job with FFVIII (disk 1). Pity that its story turned into a generic anime story on disk 2, but until then, the politics were extremely well incorporated into Nojima's character-driven scenarios.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Tidus1
post Jan 15 2008, 01:04 PM
Post #10

Ultimate Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11856

it does kind of sound the same but im still looking forward to it

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2018 - 05:30 AM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.