BohemianAndy
post Feb 9 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #41

Dentist brah
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 1071

QUOTE(Chrono @ Feb 10 2008, 12:33 AM) *

I love biology, I even took a course about it and aced a 86% as a final score.

Umm...congratulations?

QUOTE(Chrono @ Feb 10 2008, 12:39 AM) *

Do you think it'd be possible for a woman to be pregnant with her own marrow? blink.gif blink.gif

Did you read the article? rolleyes.gif

Illustration from the article -

IPB Image

A key thing to note about this is that the possibility of the implementation of these procedures are years away.

--------------------
<3 FT//GRG2//Sarah
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chrono
post Feb 9 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #42

Royal Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2318

It will become possible. I'm sure of it.
Science evolves everyday.

This post has been edited by Chrono: Feb 9 2008, 03:51 PM

--------------------
Don'tcha wish your mooglefriend was hot like me? ~ PushyCaitSiths.
+Quote Post
Fox
post Feb 9 2008, 03:51 PM
Post #43

Ninja Fox - The Silent Menace
Group Icon

Member No.: 2280

I feel sorry for any of those asexually produced kids. OK the mother may feel good but the kid's gonna come out and when asked about her family say:

"Well, my mother is a dentist and my father is my mother....What? I'M NORMAL DAMN IT!"

PS off topic: Holy crap I havn't had a drink today! And there's me wondering why am thirsty...

--------------------
PSN: "corneliusfingers"
twitter: @corneliusfinger
Blog: Games Under the Knife
+Quote Post
Chrono
post Feb 9 2008, 03:52 PM
Post #44

Royal Member

Of course they are normal. It is proved that children can grow without a male presence in their lives or a female presence.

PS : Then go to drink. NOW! lol

This post has been edited by Chrono: Feb 9 2008, 03:53 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
BohemianAndy
post Feb 9 2008, 03:54 PM
Post #45

Dentist brah
Group Icon

QUOTE(Fox @ Feb 10 2008, 12:51 AM) *

I feel sorry for any of those asexually produced kids. OK the mother may feel good but the kid's gonna come out and when asked about her family say:

"Well, my mother is a dentist and my father is my mother....What? I'M NORMAL DAMN IT!"

Hehe, the mother would only be able to bear children that are female, due to the lack of the "Y" chromosome that is essential for males. That scenario you just illustrated could very well occur xD

Of course they are normal.

That depends on what you consider to be normal. Some people consider non-medically intervened conception to be normal, whilst others consider medical intervention to be normal. A baby having the genes solely from a female would be a completely new and strange step in medical science.

--------------------
<3 FT//GRG2//Sarah
+Quote Post
Fox
post Feb 9 2008, 03:55 PM
Post #46

Group Icon

Chrono: Yes but my point, albeit attempting to put it in a rather humourous manner, is that there's an evolutionary REASON that incest, for example, is considered bad: genetic abnormalities are plentiful.

Now they're plentiful in this sort of technique, or they will be for a while according to the research. Now double that because the DNA of the sperm cells is identical to the mothers...no biodiversity. Genetic abnormalities even more plentiful. Using this technique with a woman fertilizing herself and trust me - you'll get alot of deformed kids.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Chrono
post Feb 9 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #47

Royal Member

That said, they might only get girls from their own sperms. Though, it is possible or MIGHT be possible to control birth sex... or the child could change its sex later in life. Transexuality isn't impossible after all.

QUOTE(Fox @ Feb 9 2008, 11:55 AM) *

Genetic abnormalities even more plentiful. Using this technique with a woman fertilizing herself and trust me - you'll get alot of deformed kids.

Oh yeah... There also is that possibility... But you can't do anything without trying, right? And when you talked about incest... Did you meant doing sex with their children!? shok.gif

This post has been edited by Chrono: Feb 9 2008, 03:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Fox
post Feb 9 2008, 04:02 PM
Post #48

Group Icon

That, or their siblings. I'm not sure exactly why this results in genetic problems and deformities, but it is well documented that it does. Hence why we consider it bad.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Chrono
post Feb 9 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #49

Royal Member

Okay... I still don't get the link of incest and Women's Bone Marrow... But that's just me.

Well, I'm off for now. Talk to you later guys.

That was interesting. wink.gif

Edit : Ah!!! I see. If the woman get marrow from another woman, that is from her family, that's considered incest... Okay... shok.gif

This post has been edited by Chrono: Feb 9 2008, 04:05 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Fox
post Feb 9 2008, 04:05 PM
Post #50

Group Icon

The point is if being fertilized by a parent or sibling creates genetic problems, then fertilizing yourself is logically even worse as there is even less genetic diversity. This is only in reference to your point about women impregnating themselves with this technique, not to recieving sperm from other women's bone marrow.

--------------------
+Quote Post
BohemianAndy
post Feb 9 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #51

Dentist brah
Group Icon

Incest, which may involve the insemination of a female, creates offspring with limited genetic variance. This limited genetic variance is associated with a high risk of genetic abnormalities and birth defects that the child can suffer. In the same respect, the new technology illustrated in this topic is about the limited genetic diversity that female-only sperm provides.... thereby leading to complications.

Edit: Fox beat me to it lol

--------------------
<3 FT//GRG2//Sarah
+Quote Post
Fox
post Feb 9 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #52

Group Icon

^ Yeah! There ya go!

Thanks BA. I am bad with those word things sometimes..... biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
steiner
post Feb 9 2008, 04:55 PM
Post #53

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

I really dont see this method being used as anything but a last resort with heterosexual women.

To be honest, I think that very few women would want to have children by themselves. Its not like sexual reproduction would go out the window or anything - its too much fun. It merely provides an oppurtunity to have children for couples who are unable to do so. If one of them is infertile, they can have their bone marrow cells turned into the required gammetes. If they are lesbian then a sperm can be made from one woman and used to join with the egg of another.

The second example is, I think, the real ethical issue. Should lesbians (or gays with a surrogate mother) be allowed to have children? Is it healthy for a child to have two lesbian parents?

Personally, I wouldn't want to be the son of two lesbian women. But still, I cant really think of any convincing arguments that prove the immorality of the process. At least with adoption, there seems to be no clear evidence suggesting that people with gay parents grow up mentally disturbed.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
N2Y
post Feb 9 2008, 05:37 PM
Post #54

Wiiii Love PS3... and Jessica Alba! And Penelope Cruz!
Group Icon

Member No.: 734

"Oh let's have a baby with my own seed!"

Years later...

"Yes baby, I am your mommy AND your daddy! Literally."

Sickening. Seriously, let's keep boundaries, shall we? unknw.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Resurrection
post Feb 9 2008, 06:43 PM
Post #55

Love...the most powerful force on Earth
Group Icon

Member No.: 1047

So would this be similar to how a unicellular organism divides and two identical copies are produced? Because that would be weird if you looked exactly the same as your mom.

Chrono (if you can even read this, I'm not sure what the "ignore list" does), either Jesus Christ rose from the dead or he did not. If he did, then one should base ALL of his views on Christ's teachings. If you want to criticize someone, criticize the Christians who will stick with their religion only when it is convenient for them. At least I'm sticking with something. Fox and BA pretty much summed up everything else. Thanks for that guys. And I post in the debate corner because I don't really have time to play video games, although they originally drew me here. And on a secular website my views are also more open to scrutiny from people like Fox, which may or may not lead me to change them.

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
LIES PROTRUDE FROM THE MOUTH OF MAN, BUT EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD IS LIFE.
I AM A LIAR
+Quote Post
Fox
post Feb 9 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #56

Group Icon

^No sweat Res. "I may disagree with what you say, sir, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it!"

The idea is I think somewhat similar to that, but I'm not sure if actual cloning would be possible this way. ...or would it? I'm still not sure how that whole thing works.

--------------------
+Quote Post
N2Y
post Feb 9 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #57

Wiiii Love PS3... and Jessica Alba! And Penelope Cruz!
Group Icon

Member No.: 734

Well Res, you mention something I've been thinking about past hours.

The way it works naturally is the genes of a man and that of a woman mixing together, where the child get's some genes of its mother and some of its father. Thats why the child has some facial features of its mother, and some of its father.

But if it just has its mothers genes, obviously, its just a copy.

Making it scarier, but know that I dont have much knowledge about it, so someone could correct me, XX and XY (girl vs boy) is based on the chromosomes right? If the male doesnt give its Y chromosome (as there is no male involved), obviously theres no boy as the result. Meaning that if women reproduce with this method, they will not produce any boys, just girls.

This would cause an inbreed, weakening the human race already, plus making men absolutely unnecessary, with the end of the world at its reach.

Hell, even the old Indian beliefs tell of a future where there are no men as they are not a necessity anymore. One positive thing on that is that the end of the world according to them is the source of constant draught. So a future without us guys is still not the end of the world... tongue.gif

Seems those jerks are already working on it.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
steiner
post Feb 9 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #58

It's been too long...
Group Icon

^Hehe, that could theoretically happen.

But I doubt it, because, lets face it: boys are way cooler than girls.

Also, it'd require all women to be lesbians. tongue.gif

Which I dont think is gonna happen. It'd be more of an exception rather than something seriously taken up by a noticeable percentage of the population.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
+Quote Post
Chrono
post Feb 9 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #59

Royal Member

But I doubt it, because, lets face it: boys are way cooler than girls.

Hehehe, that is naughty. tongue.gif

Also, it'd require all women to be lesbians.

If that would happen, all men would have to be gay so they could make their own children. But now, that is going too far, isn't it? ^^;
Making it scarier, but know that I dont have much knowledge about it, so someone could correct me, XX and XY (girl vs boy) is based on the chromosomes right? If the male doesnt give its Y chromosome (as there is no male involved), obviously theres no boy as the result. Meaning that if women reproduce with this method, they will not produce any boys, just girls.

That is what I said earlier. They will only get girls. But transexuality is not impossible, so it could happen... Now, all we have to do is wait and see...

--------------------
+Quote Post
steiner
post Feb 9 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #60

It's been too long...
Group Icon

I suppose they could alter the genes of the sperm created from bone marrow into XY if they wanted to. It would just involve extra effort.

If that would happen, all men would have to be gay so they could make their own children. But now, that is going too far, isn't it? ^^;

They'll probably be able to genetically modify men so that they can have a uterus one day. So gay men having children may one day be a possibility!

How great!

/sarcasm

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2018 - 06:13 PM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.