Resurrection
post Mar 8 2008, 02:13 AM
Post #21

Love...the most powerful force on Earth
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 1047

QUOTE(Fox @ Mar 7 2008, 08:54 PM) *

But again I wonder if this goes back to what was taught to you as a child. If you've grown up believing that supernatural things are possible or that they DO exist, you'll be more willing to believe them when you see them.

Having said that, I certainly don't think childhood experiences are the only cause. I was raised a christian - though not an immensly strict one, but I was the first of my family to become atheist. And that certainly wasn't what I got taught as a child, relegion was taught as fact in early schools and we would all have to pray etc etc.

....I hadn't INTENDED the only thing this discussion ended up on to be religion, I think in this case it just happens to be an excellent example.

The whole nature vs nurture argument. Maybe some are more genetically predisposed to belief in God, and some aren't.

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
LIES PROTRUDE FROM THE MOUTH OF MAN, BUT EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD IS LIFE.
I AM A LIAR
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
steiner
post Mar 8 2008, 01:30 PM
Post #22

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

QUOTE(Resurrection @ Mar 8 2008, 01:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Fox @ Mar 7 2008, 06:04 PM) *

It is an interesting point. And maybe one of the fundamental differences between some of us.

For example - two people see a "miracle". It's under certain conditions so you can be quite sure there is no "unknown explanation". It either happened or they were misled by their senses. One of them chooses to believe that sensory deception is an often occurance, the other is convinced he saw a miracle.

Sound familiar?

Of course, you must be referring to Jesus. But scratch that, I don't want this to become a religion debate.

Anyway, how likely is it that we see something that didn't actually happen? Either there is something wrong with your eyes, something wrong with us psychologically, the "miracle worker" somehow deceived his audience, or it actually happened. If we can be sure of the body's proper optical and psychological functioning (since it is unlikely that the entire audience has these problems), that leaves the latter two. Is there anyone known of today who can "work miracles" that have some reasonable explanation? The name "David Blaine" comes to mind...maybe I'll check him out on youtube.

The name Derren Brown comes to mind for me. Unfortunately, he's only well known in England. I think he's very impressive.

The whole nature vs nurture argument. Maybe some are more genetically predisposed to belief in God, and some aren't.

Thats definitely possible.

Have you heard of meme theory though? It was first proposed by Richard Dawkins and I find it very interesting.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
Fox
post Mar 8 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #23

Ninja Fox - The Silent Menace
Group Icon

Member No.: 2280

Memes confuse me, but I know the basics. I'm not sure how the meme theory stands up in how people learn to think though, don't memes relates to the stuff we think about?

--------------------
PSN: "corneliusfingers"
twitter: @corneliusfinger
Blog: Games Under the Knife
+Quote Post
steiner
post Mar 8 2008, 02:53 PM
Post #24

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

Its bassically his suggestion that thoughts and ideas are selected in a similar way to natural selection. Its the idea that for example, certain aspects of religion are good at surviving in the meme pool. Those ideas that are well 'adapted' to humans survive and are passed on from human to human. Those ideas that are poorly 'adapted' die out.

Im not the best person for explaining it although its in The Selfish Gene if you read it.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
Resurrection
post Mar 8 2008, 03:14 PM
Post #25

Love...the most powerful force on Earth
Group Icon

Member No.: 1047

I've never heard of it. So, do the ideas that are "adapted" to humans contribute to human survival somehow, in the same way that certain physical traits contribute to an organism's survival?

And I agree, that Derren Brown is very impressive. One is tempted to accuse him of using actors.

--------------------
Make the 99 become 100
LIES PROTRUDE FROM THE MOUTH OF MAN, BUT EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD IS LIFE.
I AM A LIAR
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2018 - 10:03 PM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.