> Grand Theft Auto 4 Impressions
LoneWolf
post Apr 29 2008, 01:08 PM
Post #1

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 828

I got it a bit earlier than you guys (April 29th comes faster to Australia), so I've had it for a couple of hours.

I've never been a GTA fan. I played San Andreas a bit and liked it, but I got over it pretty quickly. The story didn't interest me, it was moving to slowly and the missions were too hard (racing missions). I've always thought that if I had played more of it, I would have liked it. I was only borrowing it from a friend though.

So after reading all the reviews for GTA4 I decided to get it.

Current impressions (note that these don't come from a fan)-

- It takes a while to get into it. I asked a friend and he said its always like that. There have been a couple of horrificly boring missions that I'm fairly sure you were supposed to do.

- I can't wait to get a freaking gun. ^^ Melee combat is fun, but not very deep. I've mucked around with that a lot.

- The physics and damage systems are unbelievably realistic.

- Driving is realistic (as far as I know). You can't turn corners at high speeds with your breaks and accelerator on in a crappy car (which is taking forever for me to get used to). I'm not sure if it was like that in previous GTA games. Its made all my current police chases very dull. sad.gif I'm getting used to it.

- I have some problems with the controls as well, but apparently its normal for a GTA game. I don't like how the left stick makes you walk and you have to hold the A button to run (tap to sprint). I don't like how the camera snaps behind your back when you're running. I don't like how it doesn't snap behind your back when your driving. I'm getting used to all this though.

- I've loved all the music I've heard on the radio so far.

- There seems to be no ends to things you can do. Listening to the radio channels, watching TV and the Caberet shows, surfing the internet, strip club, bowling, pool, darts etc. None of that interests me, but if I ever do feel like laying back and doing nothing while I'm playing, there are plenty of options.

- Graphics don't look very good in the cutscenes, but the second the gameplay starts you're in awe. The voice acting is good.

-The story so far has been interesting, but too slow. I'm still waiting for a hook to keep me going. Some characters are very interesting (Niko), but others have been written like its a waste of a line if they haven't sweared three times, threatened to kill someone and mentioned "round American tities" (which I believe is normal for GTA).

I think my impressions are a little more critical than most people's will be. I'm still getting used to it though, I think I'll love it when I get into it. That pretty much equals when I get a gun. I mean, come on, its on the 360, I want to shoot someone! tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Signiture made by Charlie (different forum, 2002)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
(Phoenix)
post Apr 29 2008, 02:09 PM
Post #2

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1889

I agree with you mostly atm.

I like the driving, it's not amazing but it's not exactly shit either. Although it's taking me forever it get a gun...

But then again why bother getting a gun when you can sit in your house watching a stand up comedy on TV tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Rubber Ducky
post Apr 29 2008, 04:41 PM
Post #3

Ultimate Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6947

lol i suck at the driving on this

multiplayer was epic! gettin blown up to bits by some guy who just rocker launcher'd my car is so much fun!
+Quote Post
(Phoenix)
post Apr 29 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #4

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Lol I've gotten really attached to the driving, it feels...right, I don't know how else to put it
+Quote Post
Snake
post Apr 29 2008, 11:43 PM
Post #5

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 955

I don't have the game, and I'm not planning on getting it. The thing I want to know is, do you people think that this game deserves PERFECT 10/10's from reviewers? Do you think that is because the reviewers were money hatted just to cause major hype and rapid sales? Now, I'm not saying that this game deserves a 5/10 or anything like that. It looks like a pretty good game. The thing is, I want you all to give it your own score from what you have played. Also, state what the very best part of the game has been for you.

This should cause some discussion here. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Delusive
post Apr 30 2008, 12:17 AM
Post #6

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2987

Never was into the GTA games, though that deals more with the explicit content, which happens to just be a tad too extreme for me. I was extremely tempted to get this game, but after watching a review and seeing that the game still seems more about "explicit content" and "controversy" over anything, I think I'll pass.

--------------------
Most Anticipated Title(s): Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey
Now Playing: Halo 3, Blue Dragon, Call of Duty 2, and Gears of War
+Quote Post
(Phoenix)
post Apr 30 2008, 12:21 AM
Post #7

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

It's ATLEAST 9.5/10 from me so far.

I've only just come off it...
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post Apr 30 2008, 04:34 AM
Post #8

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 828

@Delusive- What review did you see? I thought GTA4 was less controversial than other GTA games.

I'm not giving it a score yet, the games too big to judge so early.

Updated impressions-

- Loving the story.

-Weapons are cool. Combat doesn't work very well though, I don't know what reviewers are going on about. Taking cover is slow and clunky and aiming and shooting is worse. The gunfights I've been in have been pretty boring.

- I like driving now. Some vehicles are horrible (and they're even worse in the rain), but it is fun to drive. Drunk driving is EPIC. Don't go off at me for saying that.

- It jammed on me a minute ago so I got off. I was just driving down a street and everything stopped. I had to turn the console off. I don't know when the last time I saved was.

--------------------
IPB Image
Signiture made by Charlie (different forum, 2002)
+Quote Post
BohemianAndy
post Apr 30 2008, 09:03 AM
Post #9

Dentist brah
Group Icon

Member No.: 1071

I'm glad that GTA IV is doing well!!

10/10 from Gamespot? Wowzers. I'll need to play this game when I have my holidays in under 2 months time. I can wait smile.gif

--------------------
<3 FT//GRG2//Sarah
+Quote Post
Rubber Ducky
post Apr 30 2008, 09:03 AM
Post #10

Ultimate Member

So far I've put 10 hours into it. I'm around 20% done although I've spent a fair amount of time either online or roaming around the city doing side-mission things.

Its by no means perfect in the way it runs, we were promised no loading screens apart from the initial load but every time you get to a new cutscene, you get a black screen with a little 'loading' symbol at the bottom, though I cant complain as the loading is done in around a second laugh.gif also the frame rate can really dip when you have alot of explosions, especially online if many people have the rocket launcher.

As for the game, i am completely addicted to it, so far its at least 9.5/10
And I think I am going to be addicted to this all the way up to 100% game completion! (if I can get that far =|)
+Quote Post
fat_moogle
post Apr 30 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #11

:DD:
Group Icon

Member No.: 1626

I only ended up playing this game for around an hour last night, as I didn't get home to play it until late. It took me 4 attempts to get the game running properly as it kept freezing on the first / second scutscene. So I did what Rockstar said to do and deleted the install data, and reinstalled it. It worked fine after that, which I was happy about. Anyway, I only got around to doing a few basic missions, because I was just so tired and wanted to go to sleep. Luckily I finish school relatively soon, so guess what I'll be doing when I get home? tongue.gif

I really like what I have seen of the game so far though, and I have yet to try out the online mode. I'd rather get to grips with the single player before I do that.

I'll post updated impressions after I have tried out more.

--------------------
IPB Image

<3 Married to the amazingly awesome, perfect, and beautiful PG & LL <3
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Apr 30 2008, 11:09 AM
Post #12

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

Member No.: 866

I just played it for an hour yesterday and only did like 2 missions but I really enjoyed the game. However, I have only played it on the PS2 before, so I'm still getting used to the control scheme. Also, I'm trying to get used to how the game makes it harder for you to be a really good driver in the beginning.

Does anyone know how long it will take before the handling improves?

--------------------
IPB Image

Thanks again to Snake for another great sig. As always his work on my behalf is greatly appreciated.
+Quote Post
fat_moogle
post Apr 30 2008, 11:26 AM
Post #13

:DD:
Group Icon

Member No.: 1626

Yea, the driving took a little longer to get used to at the beginning for me, too. I quite like it, though. It feels much better than it was in previous GTA's. It makes it feel a little more realistic now, what with the braking and such.

Does anyone know how long it will take before the handling improves?

Is Rockstar planning on 'fixing' it? I think its fine as it is. Saying that I haven't had a high speed chase yet so things might change!

Speaking of chases, I'm liking the new police search radius, in-car GPS systems, and it's nice to be able to create a waypoint too.

--------------------
IPB Image

<3 Married to the amazingly awesome, perfect, and beautiful PG & LL <3
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Apr 30 2008, 03:45 PM
Post #14

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

Member No.: 866

^Wrong choice of words. I thought the handling would improve as you progress into the game. I could of swore that somewhere I read that they did that on purpose so you're not an expert driver right away. Maybe I'm wrong and I just suck at driving now. I used to be good at it. biggrin.gif

Also, both 1up and Kotaku are reporting that you get one month free of Live inside the GTAIV box, but I didn't get it. Did any of you?

--------------------
IPB Image

Thanks again to Snake for another great sig. As always his work on my behalf is greatly appreciated.
+Quote Post
steiner
post Apr 30 2008, 04:49 PM
Post #15

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

I swear everyone is gonna fail their exams this year. They're in two weeks but everyone's playing GTA all day instead of revising. Im not though because I dont have a PS3. I could go round my friends house but I must...resist...temptation...

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
N2Y
post Apr 30 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #16

Wiiii Love PS3... and Jessica Alba! And Penelope Cruz!
Group Icon

Member No.: 734

From what I've seen from gameplay, the camera works very differently than the older games. Normally the camera was basically always behind you, while running, while driving, etc.

But in this game while driving it's A not completely behind the car, more like from an angle, and B many times it's not even behind the car at all.

Frustrating, as you can't see what's behind that corner you're trying to drive in at high speed while being followed.

In about a year I might start playing this game (if I have that PS3 I want by then) but I don't know if I'll really like it from everything I've seen so far...

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Fox
post Apr 30 2008, 08:13 PM
Post #17

Ninja Fox - The Silent Menace
Group Icon

Member No.: 2280

Didnt like any of the previous 3D GTA games, but I love this one. N2Y, I havnt even noticed what you mention with the camera. Maybe it could be slightly better but I hardly notice it at all.

Combat isn't the best in the world but it is solid, drving is fun, and there is just so so much to do. I'm not gonna go in depth until I've completed it but thus far it is fantastic.

--------------------
PSN: "corneliusfingers"
twitter: @corneliusfinger
Blog: Games Under the Knife
+Quote Post
Delusive
post Apr 30 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #18

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2987

QUOTE(LoneWolf @ Apr 30 2008, 04:34 AM) *

@Delusive- What review did you see? I thought GTA4 was less controversial than other GTA games.

Either IGN or Gametrailers. Can't remember. I put more faith in Gametrailer's reviews than anything so it probably was that one.

The content just looks like it's too extreme for my tastes, that's all.

As far as it being less controversial - I can't say one way or the other (haven't played much of GTA) - all I can say on this matter is that on another forum, someone made a topic surprised at a certain event that happens in GTAIV and wondered how it got past the ESRB (I guess they thought it was too extreme for "M" or something, didn't really read what it was about or if I did, I just didn't really care enough to remember).

I can contribute to this topic by giving some fun facts, though:

GTAIV had around a 1,000 person development studio (I don't think all this was full-time, I think full-time employees ranged around 2-400 people).

GTAIV is, to date, the most expensive game, costing around 100,000 bucks.

--------------------
Most Anticipated Title(s): Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey
Now Playing: Halo 3, Blue Dragon, Call of Duty 2, and Gears of War
+Quote Post
Rubber Ducky
post Apr 30 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #19

Ultimate Member

I think the camera that N2Y is on about is when u drive around a corner, the camera stays focused in the same position it was when you were driving straight. So now that you are going round corner, you can see the side of the car, rather than looking at it from behind (which enables you to see whats in front of it).

Also the camera 'swings' to the forward position so sometimes it can be difficult to know if you are going around the corner correctly
+Quote Post
Snake
post Apr 30 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #20

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 955

We need screenshots and stuff in this thread. So people get your cameras out and take pictures! Or, if you are tech junky and have a capture card or whatever, use it. It would be cool to do a comparison between the two systems in this thread.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2018 - 08:51 AM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.