Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Playstation Day, KILLZONE 2 AND RESISTANCE 2 OMG!
Snake
post May 5 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #1

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 955

IPB Image

SCREENSHOTS, VIDEOS, & INFORMATION

KILLZONE 2
-------

Direct Feed Trailer:
Trailer 1

720p Gameplay Trailer:
Trailer 2

Gameplay Videos:
Trailers

- Killzone 2 will provide 20 weapons
- Killzone 2 will know many different color filters, styles and environments.
- Vehicles confirmed!
- Fallen team members can be brought back to life now.
- The game knows a buddy system, where you can work together to progress in a level. This is shown in the gameplay video.
(From N2Y)

TTP Impressions From NeoGaf

Demo starts with a bang. Kinda like the E3 demo, you are flying with your comrades towards the war zone. The scale of the scene is amazing. No fog whatsoever hides the busy battleground 200 meters ahead of you. The amount of detail is so high I can barely discern the single elements. As u get close one of the allied flying vehicles ahead of you explodes into a cloud of flaming debris and corpses. You end up flying into it (one of the corpses actually crashes on you vehicles), resulting in a crash landing. Mr Fucking Convoy is first to jump out of the vehicle. You follow and game starts. Before going ahead I looked above me, behind me, towards the other side of the river (I guess it was a river) just to check if there was any less detail around me than there was on the path I was supposed to traverse. There were no such compromises. I could see the buildings standing tall and 3D on the other side of the river. In the sky, there was traffic: vehicles, anti air missiles and stuff.

(More at the source link below)

Source: Post 1

He begins to answer member's questions...

Good question. The AI knew how to move behind covers to accomodate my movements, but they were kinda slow in doing so. I mean, no rolls and jumps a la Uncharted. They walk from cover to cover. Sometimes they run. But still easy targets for me. At one point I had a clear view over an Helghast behind cover, I shoot at him, he moves to find a better cover but before reaching it he decides to stop and reload his weapon standing still. Headshot. I said to the developer watching me playing: "reloading in the open is not a smart move".

Good thing is it appears it takes just a few hits for you to die, so you do really need to play cautiously. Also, when popping out from cover to shoot, the crosshairs moves a bit so you have to adjust you aiming while exposed. You cannot place the crosshairs on the target and simply pop out and shoot. Some collegues complained about this, but to me it felt realistic and challenging.

Source: Post 2

OTHER TTP POSTS:

1) Post 3
2) Post 4
3) Post 5
4) Post 6
5) Post 7
6) Post 8
7) Post 9

LITTLE BIG PLANET
-------

Direct Feed Trailer (Helghast):
Trailer 1

Gameplay:
Trailer 2

Images

MIRROR'S EDGE
-------

In-Game Trailer:
Trailer 1

MOTORSTORM 2
-------

Pacific Rift:
Trailer 1

Direct Feed Showcase:
Trailer 2

Showcase:
Trailer 3
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Delusive
post May 5 2008, 09:31 PM
Post #2

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2987

As I am getting a PS3 the day that MGS4 comes out, I'll be more excited about this event. If MGS4 is going to appear at this show then I'll be giddy. Simply giddy.

*prepares self for the ensuing awesome*

--------------------
Most Anticipated Title(s): Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey
Now Playing: Halo 3, Blue Dragon, Call of Duty 2, and Gears of War
+Quote Post
Snake
post May 5 2008, 09:35 PM
Post #3

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Metal Gear Solid 4 should make some kind of appearance since it's coming out very soon. Then again, there might only be one more trailer on June 1st, and that's it. Hmm... the game needs hype, though. Maybe this is where the hype will truly begin? Oh my goodness, I can't wait. Oh, and I opened my EGM magazine today and the first page was an advertisement for Metal Gear Solid 4. The wait, it kills!
+Quote Post
Delusive
post May 5 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #4

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Yea, MGS is my favorite series. I hope it makes an appearance but I hope there's no story related appearance - I really hate the fact that it seems like more and more story elements are leaking out into the webs.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Snake
post May 5 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #5

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Well, I knew that those 16 journalists who got to play the game not too long ago couldn't keep their mouths closed. Once they tell one person, that's it. News spreads like wildfire. I don't think Kojima would intentionally release anything story related before the game comes out. I could be wrong, but I believe he wants the game to have an element of surprise when people play it.
+Quote Post
N2Y
post May 8 2008, 04:11 PM
Post #6

Wiiii Love PS3... and Jessica Alba! And Penelope Cruz!
Group Icon

Member No.: 734

New Killzone stuff.

- Killzone 2 will provide 20 weapons (not much...?)
- Killzone 2 will know many different color filters, styles and environments.
- Vehicles confirmed!
- Fallen team members can be brought back to life now.
- The game knows a buddy system, where you can work together to progress in a level. This is shown in the gameplay video.

For the gameplay video, check this link:
http://www.ps3focus.nl/v3/nieuws/bekijk.php?id=9287

I couldn't find a direct link to the video, unfortunately.

But there's more...

http://www.jeux-france.com/downloads11404_...ebigplanet.html

It's a trailer, so just watch, it's fun!

And a new Far Cry 2 vid.
http://www.jeux-france.com/news26859_video-far-cry-2.html

Enjoy!

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Fox
post May 8 2008, 06:14 PM
Post #7

Ninja Fox - The Silent Menace
Group Icon

Member No.: 2280

Mirror's Edge

Anyone else seen this? First in-game footage of this.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33586.html

Now who can honestly say they arn't interested? Not me!!!

--------------------
PSN: "corneliusfingers"
twitter: @corneliusfinger
Blog: Games Under the Knife
+Quote Post
fat_moogle
post May 8 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #8

:DD:
Group Icon

Member No.: 1626

I've been quite impressed by SCEE's Playstation Day. Mirrors Edge does look quite interesting, and the in game graphics... shok.gif ...are great!

It's a shame that LittleBIGPlanet has been pushed back a month, but at least it's not February '09 like Killzone 2!

--------------------
IPB Image

<3 Married to the amazingly awesome, perfect, and beautiful PG & LL <3
+Quote Post
Delusive
post May 8 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #9

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Killzone 2 apparently got some criticism with how it played (although critics loved the graphics, animations, lighting, and cover system - the gameplay just felt uninspired apparently).

I'd say I'm most excited for Resistance II out of the games shown here today. Maybe Mirror's Edge, that looks innovative! It's actually putting "first person" into FPS.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Snake
post May 8 2008, 09:43 PM
Post #10

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Delusive @ May 8 2008, 04:08 PM) *

Killzone 2 apparently got some criticism with how it played (although critics loved the graphics, animations, lighting, and cover system - the gameplay just felt uninspired apparently).

TTP who is a critic of many games thought otherwise. I believe him more than most critics. Almost all critics out there are Xbox 360 fanboys anyways. *sigh*

Demo starts with a bang. Kinda like the E3 demo, you are flying with your comrades towards the war zone. The scale of the scene is amazing. No fog whatsoever hides the busy battleground 200 meters ahead of you. The amount of detail is so high I can barely discern the single elements. As u get close one of the allied flying vehicles ahead of you explodes into a cloud of flaming debris and corpses. You end up flying into it (one of the corpses actually crashes on you vehicles), resulting in a crash landing. Mr Fucking Convoy is first to jump out of the vehicle. You follow and game starts. Before going ahead I looked above me, behind me, towards the other side of the river (I guess it was a river) just to check if there was any less detail around me than there was on the path I was supposed to traverse. There were no such compromises. I could see the buildings standing tall and 3D on the other side of the river. In the sky, there was traffic: vehicles, anti air missiles and stuff.

(More at the source link below)

Source: Post 1

He begins to answer member's questions...

Good question. The AI knew how to move behind covers to accomodate my movements, but they were kinda slow in doing so. I mean, no rolls and jumps a la Uncharted. They walk from cover to cover. Sometimes they run. But still easy targets for me. At one point I had a clear view over an Helghast behind cover, I shoot at him, he moves to find a better cover but before reaching it he decides to stop and reload his weapon standing still. Headshot. I said to the developer watching me playing: "reloading in the open is not a smart move".

Good thing is it appears it takes just a few hits for you to die, so you do really need to play cautiously. Also, when popping out from cover to shoot, the crosshairs moves a bit so you have to adjust you aiming while exposed. You cannot place the crosshairs on the target and simply pop out and shoot. Some collegues complained about this, but to me it felt realistic and challenging.

Source: Post 2

OTHER TTP POSTS:

1) Post 3
2) Post 4
3) Post 5
4) Post 6
5) Post 7
6) Post 8
7) Post 9

So, yeah, IGN and all the rest of the sites are full of shit.

I will update the first post. Sorry for not doing that early. Most of my time lately is caught up in working with FFNext.

UPDATE: The first post is updated with great quality videos. You all must watch! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Delusive
post May 8 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #11

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Snake @ May 8 2008, 09:43 PM) *

TTP who is a critic of many games thought otherwise. I believe him more than most critics. Almost all critics out there are Xbox 360 fanboys anyways. *sigh*

I don't personally. I've seen those same "360 fanboys" praise MGS4 and Little Big Planet to no end. It's after all, just an opinion but the major critics basically had the same complaints with Killzone 2 - uninspired gameplay and gray. Gray. And gray.

With that said, they did praise the graphics side, the animation side, the lighting side, and the cover-system side.

It wasn't all negative with their previews, they just told the good and the bad. And those same critics were praising the game before - just now they've actually had a chance to play the game itself.

And even TTP mentions that he was the only one complaining while playing the game itself. And he mainly mentioned the graphical side of things anyway, which reviewers had no problem with (except for the gray environments, I guess). I read all of his posts (that you linked to) and he, along with myself, will probably be extremely excited to see the graphics, animations, physics, lighting, and all the other stuff that can happen with an extremely solid framerate in the final game but if the gameplay doesn't cut it, that stuff could wear off pretty fast.

Don't get me wrong, I think Killzone 2 will be a good game, but I just don't think it'll outshadow all of the other top tier FPS games like Halo, CoD, Resistance, etc.

Right now, the hype may in fact end up killing it (like with what happened to Killzone 1) - the only thing I hear people saying when defending the game against the newly published critic remarks against the negative aspects of the game is that it "looks good, astonishing, so it must be good."

That's not what makes a game, however.

Anyway, that's my take on the whole thing. Killzone 2, to ME, didn't seem to live up to the hype this time around. Resistance 2, however, that's going to be all kinds of awesome.

In the end, I'm more skeptical of Killzone 2 than I am of other games. Probably because all that is being hyped up is the technical standpoint of the game. It's just like what happened with Gears of War (people being so impressed by the graphics, violence, and such, that they buy the game solely based on that and there probably wasn't even consideration about the gameplay - although to defend Gears, it had pretty unique gameplay as far as not many shooters doing what Gears did but it was really broken).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Snake
post May 8 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #12

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Delusive @ May 8 2008, 05:06 PM) *

I don't personally. I've seen those same "360 fanboys" praise MGS4 and Little Big Planet to no end. It's after all, just an opinion but the major critics basically had the same complaints with Killzone 2 - uninspired gameplay and grey. Grey. And grey.

With that said, they did praise the graphics side, the animation side, the lighting side, and the cover-system side.

It wasn't all negative with their previews, they just told the good and the bad. And those same critics were praising the game before - just now they've actually had a chance to play the game itself.

And even TTP mentions that he was the only one complaining while playing the game itself.

Don't get me wrong, I think Killzone 2 will be a good game, but I just don't think it'll outshadow all of the other top tier FPS games like Halo, CoD4, Resistance, etc.

Right now, the hype may in fact end up killing it (like with what happened to Killzone 1) - the only thing I hear people saying when defending the game against the newly published critic remarks against the negative aspects of the game is that it "looks and acts good."

That's not what makes a game, however.

Anyway, that's my take on the whole thing. Killzone 2, to ME, didn't seem to live up to the hype this time around. Resistance 2, however, that's going to be all kinds of awesome.

It happens everytime with a PS3 game. It impresses everyone, and then down the line before the game comes out it gets trashed with things like, "It's not better than Call of Duty 4." "It's uninspired." Yeah, they keep on trashing on the "Grey, grey, grey" even though that's GG's decision. What? Do they want Halo 3 colors? Every game is different, and every game doesn't have to have the same color palette to be impressive. Yeah, well, that they did, they did say everything else was great. It's just when they say it's uninspired, it just rings bias. It's a shooter. What shooter is inspired?

TTP is very critical. For him to complain about a game but like it is telling. He couldn't play Uncharted because of the screen tearing and the slight framerate drops. He even goes on to say that most of his issues that he had with the game seem like things that GG would fix by the time the game comes in Feb. 09. He made sure to tell the developer about the things he didn't like. Which is typical for any game. No game is perfect. Oh, and he says that everyone else didn't complain like he did when he played the game. So, despite the problems, it's pretty enjoyable so it seems.

Oh, and not every site was praising Killzone 2 at the time. NeoGaf dug up a scan of an EGM article which said the Killzone 2 had the dumbest A.I. Well, every game is going to have not so good A.I. in their pre-alpha stage. That's to be expected. If it's in the final game, then that will be bad. Basically, if GG gets the A.I. right in the final game, then no one should complain. They would have thus addressed every issue that everyone had with the original. That's all that matters. People shouldn't knock it's "grey" colors, because loads of colors are reserved for games like Halo.

Why can't Killzone 2 be hyped like other games this generation? It's a game that actually looks like it can excel in every area if done right. Other games have got hype, and they had many things wrong with them, prime example is GTAIV. Hype didn't kill that game which sold half a billion. Oh, and most of the hype for the original Killzone came from magazines that kept calling it a Halo Killer, which was dumb. They apparently didn't play the game. I do have the game, and it's not a Halo Killer. The original wasn't good, so it practically killed itself.

Killzone 2 to me lived up to the hype. I don't know what it can do that can make it live up even more. It looks really good. Okay, maybe some critics that it feels empty. It's in it's pre-alpha stage. It's their opinion. The game will be released in 9 months. It's still got time to perfect things that the critics hate. Now, Resistance 2, Resistance 1 was good, so hopefully this one is.
+Quote Post
Delusive
post May 8 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #13

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

TTP said that no one else was criticizing the game AS they were playing it.

I think I was the only one complaining while playing laugh.gif

He didn't mean that he was the only one complaining about the game itself. He meant that as soon as he saw something, he'd complain about it to the developers.

There have been numerous sites that have criticized the game's gameplay. Like I said, though, the sites that criticized it also praised it - are you going to call them 360 fanboys because they had some bad stuff to say about the game? You're simply going to forget all the good stuff they said about it too and just think they said only bad things?

Here is what some of the others said (I'm not going to highlight stuff so if you want to know, you can read for your own viewing pleasure since they say both good and bad things):

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/872/872009p1.html

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/killzone_2/preview-910.html

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/killzon...ies%3btitle%3b0

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=188544

Another reason I'm not highlighting anything is that they all basically say the same thing (about the good and bad).

I just wanted to point out that there are numerous praises AND complaints about the game. The criticisms are mainly about gameplay and the praises are mainly about the technical aspects.

You can't expect Killzone 2 to be a flawless game, which everyone is seemingly expecting it to live up to. How is a game going to build hype anyway? By the media and what the media says about the game. Just how Killzone 1 did.

If the gameplay isn't good (and I'm taking the word of what the people who have played it, said about the game) then the "wow" factor will wear off.

I'm just tired of all this "media against Sony" thing going on. If the media was solely against Sony, then wouldn't they be bashing MGS4 and Little Big Planet too?

Look at the past games - Resistance is holding a 8.7 (or somewhere around there) mark in ratings average - that's actually a good score.

It's funny now that GTAIV is multi-plat, people are actually making the assumption that critics only praised it so highly because it was multi-plat and that if it were exclusive to Sony, it would have gotten abysmal ratings. It's kind of stupid when you look at it in an overall perspective.

IF the media was totally against Sony, then I guess GTAIV for the PS3 would have gotten abysmal ratings while the 360 version got great ratings. That didn't happen.

EDIT: I'm just trying to say that it's good that it's getting criticism. Especially since they have a lot of time to fix this stuff in the pre-alpha stage (though the complaint about gameplay may not change if that's the way GG intended it but GG will have time to make the gameplay more interesting - it's actually amazing that Killzone 2 is only in its pre-alpha stage).

As for the color palette, I actually like it. Remember, just because I bring up criticisms, doesn't mean I necessarily agree with them. I'm just not going to go with the bandwagon of instantly believing this game to be a hit - especially considering GG's previous installments in the series - putting a lot of money into a project may help, but that will not make a good game, it'll only make it a technical feat at best (GG's decision to not include music in a lot of parts in its gameplay for Killzone 1 is not a matter of money, but a matter of decision by developers and it was a flawed decision).

Last of all, I only give a free-pass to developers who have proven themselves (free pass meaning that I'll be more inclined to believe good praise over bad). Developers like Kojima Productions, Infinity Ward, and, to my dismay, Bungie. Even then I'd have to see what has been given to the public in order to see if I truly agree or not (and Killzone 2, what has been shown, is amazing but I'm not going to be a believer in Killzone 2 until it proves itself at release).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Snake
post May 8 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #14

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Delusive @ May 8 2008, 05:46 PM) *

TTP said that no one else was criticizing the game AS they were playing it. There have been numerous sites that have criticized the game's gameplay. Like I said, though, the sites that criticized it also praised it - are you going to call them 360 fanboys because they had some bad stuff to say about the game?

You can't expect Killzone 2 to be a flawless game, which everyone is seemingly expecting it to live up to. How is a game going to build hype anyway? By the media and what the media says about the game.

If the gameplay isn't good (and I'm taking the word of what the people have said about the game) then the "wow" factor will wear off.

(goodness, I missed debating, lol, thanks for this Delusive)

Yeah, okay, they did criticize the gameplay. We have videos to view. Direct feed gameplay trailers that look good, that's my opinion, no one else formed that. Gameplay involves many things. The controls. I didn't see any other sites going in depth about that except for TTP. He said that some of the controls felt off, but did say that they have Type A and Type B layouts. So, if that is to be believed, then there are options for changing the layout of the controller to fit your needs. No one should have a problem with that. I'll continue this on the next paragraph.

Another gameplay factor is movement. The movement seems fluid. It doesn't seem floaty like some low budget game titles are. I don't think that this is a problem. Gun reloading is another form of gameplay. As I have saw in the gameplay trailers it seems very realistic, you can see it in the .gif below this post. Gun reloading was great in the first game, but the whole game had problems which made even the good things be outshadowed by the bad. Throwing grenades seems fine, in my opinion. It was also good in the first game. I didn't see the player cook the grenade, but I remember one of the developers saying that it's in this one. I'll continue this one too.

The cover system seems like it's a part of the gameplay. Yes, it copies from Gears of War, but Gears of War copied another game. That's to be expected. Games always copy assets from other games, and make it their own. The cover system seems really cool in Killzone 2. One cool thing I noticed is that whenever you take cover behind low cover, your gun rests on the top of the cover. Unlike COD4 which has the gun going through the cover. The gun model itself looks incredibly detailed. There are holes in the top of the gun which aren't painted on.

Of course I didn't play the game, only a few people did. I'm just going by what I can see. That's all that I can do. That's what anybody can do. That's what people did with Halo 3, COD4, Biosock, and Mass Effect. It's the same with every game. Maybe I forgot something about the gameplay, but I have no idea. Rumble maybe? Well, TTP said that GG nailed it. That is good, I guess. With gameplay there is A.I. I agree that the A.I. isn't doing much. Though, GG is working on that. One of those people working on the A.I. has talked about it: http://aigamedev.com/site/2008-plan-killzone

Graphics seem great. Perfect? No, it's not perfect. A video game will never be perfect. I don't know who is saying that, but I haven't heard it. I've heard people say, "It didn't come close to the CG trailer, but it's close enough." That's all that people want. Yes, GG put their goal very high, but they tried to reach it, and they made a great looking game out of it. It's somewhat destructible, as you can see in the .gif below this post, and that makes it even cooler. Now, off of graphics, I have seen game objectives that pop up for the one who plays it to do. That's like any other game. If they don't make that boring, then it will be okay.

Story. I don't know about the story. That can go in either direction. It could suck hard, or it could be on par with other games that are out there now. Now, GG could mess up and make a game with great graphics but a stale storyline. I hope they don't, but if they do then it would be a disappointment. Sony is going to make sure it's good, hopefully. They are putting a lot of money into this game. Other developers are helping, and the budget is around 50 million, and since it is delayed to Feb. 2009, the budget could rise. Since GG is first party now, they have to do good, or it's game over.
Animated .gifs:

Reloading--
IPB Image

Destruction--
IPB Image

IPB Image

Graphics--
IPB Image

IPB Image

Yeah, not perfect, no game is. Impressive? It sure is to me. A game console can only do so much, and since GG is doing this much this early in the console's life, it's amazing in my opinion.
+Quote Post
Delusive
post May 8 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #15

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Snake @ May 8 2008, 11:14 PM) *

(goodness, I missed debating, lol, thanks for this Delusive)

Lol, me too.

I'm not going to quote anything unless I need to specify a certain part of your post, Snake, but hopefully you'll know this response is to you. I also edited my post after you posted that so I probably made more sense my second time around.

Anyway, here I go:

Look, I'm not downing anything on the technical aspect of things. On a technical aspect, it's probably the best looking thing since sliced bread. Slight over-exaggeration but you get the point.

I'm mainly talking about gameplay. However, you do have a good point about the animation, but I already mentioned that. Animation and fluidity is a major plus for me and GG have accomplished that with Killzone 2 over and over again.

I'm mainly worried about the actual playing of the game. The game will definitely look good while playing it and there will be numerous "wow" moments no doubt. However, if it's just Call of Duty/Rainbow Six in PS3 first-party glory then that could be a bit disappointing. The cover-system seems taken out of Rainbow Six (instead of Gears of War, to me) but I hope Killzone 2 will have its "thing" that makes it Killzone 2.

CoD4 plays like a CoD game - no other game plays exactly like it. Halo and CoD are the two extremes to this type of gameplay and probably the best at their two types of different FPS gaming. Rainbow Six doesn't play like CoD. They all have their "thing" that defines them and from what I've heard from critics is that the gameplay is traditional, there is no certain thing that makes it Killzone 2. I'm not asking for innovation - I think rating on innovation is stupid, I'm just asking for a certain "oomph" that makes you go "that's a Killzone game."

Story is actually another point that you mentioned that I forgot about (a big factor for me). I can't say anything since I haven't beaten Killzone 1 (it's so...glitchy) so I don't know much about the story. I've heard it had its fair share of plot holes and whatnot, though.

I forgot what else I was going to say - oh, I know that, based on the trailers, the game seems supremely awesome. I'm just going to take a "wait" approach and let the developers prove themselves when its time for release (remember, they can control what is shown and played in trailers and demos - a good way of tricking people).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Snake
post May 9 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #16

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Delusive @ May 8 2008, 05:46 PM) *

It's funny now that GTAIV is multi-plat, people are actually making the assumption that critics only praised it so highly because it was multi-plat and that if it were exclusive to Sony, it would have gotten abysmal ratings. It's kind of stupid when you look at it in an overall perspective.

IF the media was totally against Sony, then I guess GTAIV for the PS3 would have gotten abysmal ratings while the 360 version got great ratings. That didn't happen.

EDIT: I'm just trying to say that it's good that it's getting criticism. Especially since they have a lot of time to fix this stuff in the pre-alpha stage (though the complaint about gameplay may not change if that's the way GG intended it but GG will have time to make the gameplay more interesting - it's actually amazing that Killzone 2 is only in its pre-alpha stage).

As for the color palette, I actually like it. Remember, just because I bring up criticisms, doesn't mean I necessarily agree with them. I'm just not going to go with the bandwagon of instantly believing this game to be a hit - especially considering GG's previous installments in the series - putting a lot of money into a project may help, but that will not make a good game, it'll only make it a technical feat at best (GG's decision to not include music in a lot of parts in its gameplay for Killzone 1 is not a matter of money, but a matter of decision by developers and it was a flawed decision).

About the GTAIV thing. I'm not calling it out because it's a multi-platform game. It has it's share of problems. It freezes both consoles periodically according to the people who have the game. It's such a huge ordeal that there will be a Firmware Update for the PS3 just so that the freezes can stop. No word for the Xbox 360, which is weird, since it's freezing for some people on both consoles. There was a patch yesterday that was suppose to fix the freezing on the PS3. After some people downloaded the patch, they still continued to experience the problems. One person even said that it froze on them while they were downloading the 18mb patch.

Now, have I seen this game in real life, GTAIV? I sure did. Three days actually. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Friday I saw the first part of the game, on an Xbox 360. It looked good, until the pop-in came about. I haven't played any other GTA games, and I don't know how major that was or wasn't in the older games. There was quite a bit in GTAIV. Since this is a multi-platform game, I expect that the PS3 version is the unsuperior version. It always is. Good lord, I don't want that game if it's any worse on the PS3. Especially with the freezing. Ugh, Assassin's Creed froze my PS3 enough and scared me away from those open-world multi-platform games.

Yeah, I suppose you are right. Criticism will only make GG work harder on the game, hopefully. Well, the gameplay feeling empty. I haven't played it, so I wouldn't know. If it does feel empty, then GG need to step up their game, and fix that in some way. Sometimes a game, like you said, needs that oomph to make it feel very impressive. Hopefully they find that oomph and go full speed ahead with it. Well, that's cool that you like the colors in the game. biggrin.gif I really like it.

As for it being a hit. For the most part, I really want a grand great looking title on the PS3. It's getting kind of lonely on the PS3 with only one exclusive doing very well in reviews and scores, Resistance 1. Resistance 2 might or might not be a 10/10, so I'm hoping that Killzone 2 will be. After seeing Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Halo 3 getting 10/10's, I just want one game on the PS3 getting a perfect 10/10. I'm clinging to hope for Killzone 2, because I don't want the PS3 to just losing exclusives, and being the last in line. I want it even with the Xbox 360 at least. If Killzone 2 is remarkable, then it might help out sales. I say this because with all the GTAIV hype and everything, I don't know if reviewers will be willing to give a 10/10 to Metal Gear Solid 4. Hopefully they do. Eh, I'm probably just being scared.

Killzone 1's story. Hmm... I'm not finished it yet. I believe I'm close to the end. I'm not a fan of the story. It isn't captivating, and doesn't reel me in. It's just kind of there just for the sake of being there. Hopefully, that isn't so in Killzone 2. As they saying goes, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. The third time you will never fool me again. If Killzone 2 sucks, I will admit it, and won't even bother looking into Killzone 3. It just would be nice to have a great game to add to my collection. Let's see, it could add to Resistance 1, Uncharted, and Metal Gear Solid 4. Oh, I already know Killzone 2 could never touch Metal Gear's story, haha. If Killzone 2 would, I would be wondering if Kojima wrote the story, haha.

Okay, not onto your next post. I didn't reply to your edit before because I'm working on FFNext as I type this. It's hard to juggle two things at once, but posting with you is quite fun. biggrin.gif Yeah, well I agree with you about it being just a touched up R6:V or COD4. I wouldn't want that. It would become predictable. Unfortunately, I can see that happening now actually. I think that way because of the movies that are coming out. Especially the horror movies. They are becoming predictable and not enjoyful. They do that, it seems, because they want to make money. They don't want to take risks, and risk not reeling in people to watch it. So, hopefully GG takes risks, but they might not because they don't want to try something that won't sell. That's one of those wait and see kind of things, I guess.

Oh, well, I didn't know the cover system was similar to R6, but I didn't keep an eye on that game, so I wouldn't know. I'll take your word for it. Hmm... I don't think they will change that, though. Maybe they will add a little something, but that's hypothetical. What they have right now seems like a rip-off of what you have said, R6. It wouldn't bother me since I haven't played R6, but for the people who have, I can see that being a downfall of the game. It's like, oh I have seen that already, no need to play this game and see it again.

Yeah, well, hopefully they have that "Killzone thing" in the game. I'm hoping they use their next 9 months wisely, hopefully. A lot of developers are helping them out, so say, so hopefully some ideas are being thrown about, and GG better be taking them all in, and trying some things out. About the story, I think I covered that earlier in this post. I don't remember. xD I'm typing too much for some weird reason. I just keep going and going. I don't know why. Maybe it's cause this is fun? Yeah, it's cause you are cool.

Well, that's good that you are waiting. I'm waiting too, but I'm just being really hopeful. I don't know why I'm trusting in GG. Maybe cause of Liberation? I don't know. If it sucks, Killzone 2, we will know. If it's good, we will know. So, yeah. You can reply to this, and if you do, I might reply to you if there's anything to reply to. I need to go back and work on FFNext, though. It's been great discussing this with you Delusive. biggrin.gif It made this place feel active today, haha.
+Quote Post
Delusive
post May 9 2008, 12:31 AM
Post #17

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

I'm going to post a more detailed reply later but it might not be for a day or so so I'm going to post a short reply just to sum up my thoughts:

About the cover system - I didn't say it was an exact replica of Rainbow Six, I've just heard it's more comparable to Rainbow Six than Gears of War (and from what I've seen, it's more of a first-person cover-system than it is third-person).

However, the cover-system is being praised all around, I'm sure it'll be good and you can't really innovate a cover-system all that much (I have ideas on how to do it but I'm not sure if they are plausible).

As for Killzone 2 being the game that gets the 10/10's, I personally hope that goes to MGS4 (it deserves it) and I personally don't really care for GTAIV so I hope that MGS4 isn't stripped of its 10/10's because of GTAIV, that'd make me extremely mad.

And I wasn't accusing you of being the one to imply that GTAIV was only scored high because it was multi-plat - I was just going on a rant of how there is people that actually make those accusations. I don't believe the media is totally against Sony. Some? Perhaps. Totally? No. Same for Microsoft (though I think Microsoft should be constantly drilled and bashed for their pretty horrible hardware quality).

What else did I miss? I just don't trust GG's abilities yet like I do with other developers such as Kojima and so on. And maybe Killzone 2 does have that certain thing - I'm only going by what people have said.

With all that said, I'll still be getting the game (most likely) - I would rather make sure I finish Killzone and Killzone: Liberation if I decide to get Killzone 2 just because I hate to suddenly start a story in a sequel.

Wow. That really wasn't a short reply. I may edit some more stuff into it but this was basically going to be my reply and I really enjoy debating/discussing with you about this stuff. It's fun.

--------------------
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post May 9 2008, 05:52 AM
Post #18

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 828

Honestly, I've never been impressed by the gameplay in Killzone 2. All the videos I've seen have looked really dull.

But I think anyone who complains about the lack of colours is a moron. Maybe if you have a decent reason I'll take that back, but a lot of people are just going with the flow. IT'S CALLED AN ART STYLE. The same thing happened with Gears of War, people just have no idea.

"Omg!!!1 Everythings tinted with brown?!!! Lol!! N00b game, it has no colours!!! CRAP@!!!!"

Yeah...

--------------------
IPB Image
Signiture made by Charlie (different forum, 2002)
+Quote Post
Fox
post May 9 2008, 11:49 AM
Post #19

Ninja Fox - The Silent Menace
Group Icon

Member No.: 2280

I, personally, am looking forward to Killzone 2, but other than its technical genius I don't expect anything more than a "pretty good" shooter. I don't think it's gonna beat Call of Duty 4, for example.

I will still marvel at it and enjoy it, as long as the gameplay is at least as good as Killzone 1 which I thought was good. I'm just ot expecting a redefine of FPS games just cause it looks pretty.

That's what Mirror's Edge is for! I don't think there's actually a genre called FPAction-Adventure, but I think there should be. FPAA isn't catchy enough though. Ideas?

--------------------
PSN: "corneliusfingers"
twitter: @corneliusfinger
Blog: Games Under the Knife
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post May 9 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #20

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 828

Mirror's Edge looks incredible. She's doing parkour, and it looks like its actually been done well. WOO!

--------------------
IPB Image
Signiture made by Charlie (different forum, 2002)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 10:38 AM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.