Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First ever Gears of War 2 Footage, Bigger, better, and oh so delicious!
Delusive
post May 10 2008, 05:27 AM
Post #1

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2987

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33780.html

Looks like more of the same (not necessarily a bad thing) with much smoother graphics (albeit it still looks the same with better lighting and such). The new weapons look really cool, the new abilities with the chainsaw and pistol are more nice additions.

I'm kind of worried about the button-mashing part with chainsaw duels. In multiplayer, that could be EASILY manipulated.

Chainsaws are also much faster and smoother (good for chainsaw users).

Alas, active reload looks to be the same. My main problem with the game.

--------------------
Most Anticipated Title(s): Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey
Now Playing: Halo 3, Blue Dragon, Call of Duty 2, and Gears of War
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post May 10 2008, 07:03 AM
Post #2

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 828

I thought you only hated active reload with the sniper? What's wrong with it on normal weapons?

I think it looks incredible. How freaking exciting does that look! People are worried they've taken out the curb stomp and replaced it with using the locust as a shield, but I don't think they have. It doesn't really matter if the melee has more of a lock on (so you can't miss a downed opponent_

Its definantly doing everything they said it would do. There are plenty of new features, heaps of stuff happening on screen at once and the graphics are once again outstanding. I really hope there are actual battles with that many Locust rather than them just being visuals.

A couple of days ago I heard someone talking about how the gameplay in Gears of War "was" broken. If that was you Delusive, what the hell? Maybe that's your opinion, but don't talk about it like there's no argument. I don't think Gears' gameplay was broken at all (except for online lag).

Also, I don't care that much about innovation. These days everyone's going on about how games can't be good unless they do something new. I'd rather a game did something well rather than doing something new. Doing both is great, but in sequels that isn't going to happen. And the funny thing is, most of the best games for the last couple of years have been like that. But there are still hordes of people out there saying a game can't be succesful without innovation.

That rant wasnt directed at anyone if you're wondering.

--------------------
IPB Image
Signiture made by Charlie (different forum, 2002)
+Quote Post
(Phoenix)
post May 10 2008, 09:52 AM
Post #3

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1889

*e-gasms*

That looked amazing!

I really hope there are actual battles with that many Locust rather than them just being visuals.
As much as I'd love that to be the case, I highly doubt it. The 360 would probably explode xD
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post May 10 2008, 11:49 AM
Post #4

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE((Phoenix) @ May 10 2008, 07:52 PM) *

*e-gasms*

That looked amazing!

I really hope there are actual battles with that many Locust rather than them just being visuals.
As much as I'd love that to be the case, I highly doubt it. The 360 would probably explode xD

That happens with every game anyway. tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Delusive
post May 10 2008, 03:45 PM
Post #5

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(LoneWolf @ May 10 2008, 07:03 AM) *

I thought you only hated active reload with the sniper? What's wrong with it on normal weapons?

It would make the sniper underpowered if active was taken out of just the sniper. I like active, I just wish it did stuff differently than give a weapon a major power advantage and a huge aim assist. It doesn't do anything weapon specific for that weapon, but instead it's the same for all weapons (except when a weapon has a charge, in that the active will make that charge shorter).

A couple of days ago I heard someone talking about how the gameplay in Gears of War "was" broken. If that was you Delusive, what the hell? Maybe that's your opinion, but don't talk about it like there's no argument. I don't think Gears' gameplay was broken at all (except for online lag).

A couple of days ago? Don't think so. I do think it's broken with active reload and host advantage. That's really all my problem with the gameplay is.

We we're arguing about this before, but it's been more than just a couple of days.

And how did I talk about it like there's no argument? Of course there are going to be people who think it's not broken, I don't deny that. That's why I said..."MY main problem with the game..."

Although I think if you were to see more of the sniper active in action, you may be obligated to agree.

I used to be a huge Gears fan, but as I played more and more, it just became obvious to ME that it was broken. I don't deny that the weapons I even use (Torque Bow, Shotgun) are broken. Shotgun is all random damage, for instance (you can be far away and get a head shot or a down with the thing or you can be right up close to a guy, shoot a guy point blank, and only have his health go down half).

Also, I don't care that much about innovation. These days everyone's going on about how games can't be good unless they do something new. I'd rather a game did something well rather than doing something new. Doing both is great, but in sequels that isn't going to happen. And the funny thing is, most of the best games for the last couple of years have been like that. But there are still hordes of people out there saying a game can't be succesful without innovation.

I don't care about innovation either. I think it could ruin gaming if everyone started caring about games doing something new (like most reviews do).

I was simply talking about active, though. It's an innovation in gameplay (the fact that reload now takes more of a part in the gameplay than just your usual stuff) but it seems like it only went half way. Because it gives every weapon the same advantage, some weapons become more powerful than others (aim assist doesn't help other weapons all that much but it sure helps the sniper - especially when you don't even have to look at the guy to shoot and you still get a head shot, really, look at some youtube videos of sniper montages and you'll see what I mean).

In fact, I'll also target my favorite weapon's active - Torque Bow. I use active and barely shoot the arrow out of the bow when the arrow consistently bounces, goes behind cover following this one guy, and then sticks on him. All I did was press the right trigger, barely aiming at him.

That rant wasnt directed at anyone if you're wondering.

I'm sure it wasn't. wink.gif

However, if you think I'm not going to get this game because of active and host advantage (the latter hopefully being gone) then you're crazy. It looks great all things considered, it's just multiplayer that could be a tad frustrating for me.

I just hate that the multiplayer, again to ME, seems like it's more luck and chance over skill.

--------------------
+Quote Post
steiner
post May 10 2008, 07:51 PM
Post #6

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

The graphics are insane, but it reminds me of why Im not a big fan of shooting games. Just a bit too crazy for my liking.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
Snake
post May 10 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #7

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 955

This is my complete unbias words from what I have seen. xD Watched the hi-res version of this footage. What I saw didn't impress me like I thought it would. It looks almost like Gears of War 1, with added effects. I guess that's not a bad thing for the people who thought it doesn't need to look way better. I blame that all on the Unreal Engine, though. I hate that engine. Despite that, there are some cool things. More enemies on screen, which is really great. The blur is a nice effect. The chainsaw fencing seems cool, but I was never a fan of the chainsaw in the first one. Using a Locust as cover is pretty neat. The big enemies are very cool.

So, yeah, all that they need to do with this one is improve upon the story of the first one, get some destructible environments in there, have an enemy like that cube of meat that they showed, and then it will be a good game. It'll sell like hot cakes no matter what people think of it. That's the beauty of name recognition.
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post May 11 2008, 03:04 AM
Post #8

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

^I think the graphics were perfect enough in the first one, I couldn't care less if they don't improve. ^^

A couple of days ago? Don't think so. I do think it's broken with active reload and host advantage. That's really all my problem with the gameplay is.

We we're arguing about this before, but it's been more than just a couple of days.

And how did I talk about it like there's no argument? Of course there are going to be people who think it's not broken, I don't deny that. That's why I said..."MY main problem with the game..."

Nah, don't worry, someone said it and I wasn't sure if it was you. I guess it wasn't. smile.gif The way they said it was just really stuck up and smartass, and I couldn't believe that it would be you. I just wanted to make sure (and I went on a bit of a rant afterwards biggrin.gif).

I'm sure it wasn't.

It wasn't, I was directing it at everybody just so everybody knows what I mean. I really am incredibly sick of hearing people attack games like Halo 3, Uncharted and God of War II because they lack innovation. Its like the gamer's forgotten what they want.

However, if you think I'm not going to get this game because of active and host advantage (the latter hopefully being gone) then you're crazy. It looks great all things considered, it's just multiplayer that could be a tad frustrating for me.

I just hate that the multiplayer, again to ME, seems like it's more luck and chance over skill.

Take out the part about active reload and I'm EXACTLY the same as you. I might not even bother with multiplayer with Gears 2. The multiplayer in Gears, apart from the lag, was unbelievably inconsistant. That's probably the worst thing for an online mode to have.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post May 11 2008, 03:12 AM
Post #9

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

Member No.: 866

I agree with Lone about the graphics being fine. I'm looking forward to this game, and watching the video just makes me want to play it that much more. Hopefully it'll be a bit longer than the first GoW.

--------------------
IPB Image

Thanks again to Snake for another great sig. As always his work on my behalf is greatly appreciated.
+Quote Post
Delusive
post May 11 2008, 04:53 AM
Post #10

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(LoneWolf @ May 11 2008, 03:04 AM) *

Nah, don't worry, someone said it and I wasn't sure if it was you. I guess it wasn't. smile.gif The way they said it was just really stuck up and smartass, and I couldn't believe that it would be you. I just wanted to make sure (and I went on a bit of a rant afterwards biggrin.gif).

Ok, I hope it wasn't me. I know we argued about this before, but if it was me then I'm sorry if I came off the wrong way. If this was recent though, then I know it couldn't be me (we argued this a couple months ago, not days).

Sometimes when I debate, I can have a really aggressive tone in typing (I don't mean anything by it, of course) that I'm trying to get rid of. It developed from the time I used to debate on GameFAQs about world affairs. I did learn about the tv show 24 there, however, so I'm glad that was part of my online past.

It wasn't, I was directing it at everybody just so everybody knows what I mean. I really am incredibly sick of hearing people attack games like Halo 3, Uncharted and God of War II because they lack innovation. Its like the gamer's forgotten what they want.

I know. I was simply joking. Notice the wink.gif! biggrin.gif

Anyway, I hate the fact that people are expecting every single game to innovate. It's going to ruin the gaming industry if developers just started to try to think of new ways to play games now without worrying about anything else. Games are 100% about fun and innovation /=/ fun.

What good is an innovation if it simply isn't fun. It may look good on paper, but is broken in execution.

Take out the part about active reload and I'm EXACTLY the same as you. I might not even bother with multiplayer with Gears 2. The multiplayer in Gears, apart from the lag, was unbelievably inconsistant. That's probably the worst thing for an online mode to have.

Yea, I really have CoD4 and Halo 3 for my multiplayer shooter fix. I'm still probably going to delve into the multiplayer depths of Gears just because I like third-person shooters, but Epic better have at least fixed the net code.

Oh, and that was a fun time playing CoD4 with you, Lone. I hated when I got a disk read error (stupid Microsoft and their faulty hardware!). Looks like I'm going to have to send it in for a second time. I'm eventually going to buy a new one (I hear new and improved ones are coming out in August supposedly).

When I joined back after my DREs, I was on the opposite team but had the luck of a....leprechaun. I ended up getting helicopter so fast that I didn't have time to use the radar and airstrike! 0_o

EDIT: As far as the graphics go, I think they are fine as well. I don't think they are the best graphics, but as far as I'm concerned, we've already past the age where graphics really mattered in a game. Games should now focus on the subtler things like animation, physics, and more importantly, gameplay. Story is also another really important factor.

--------------------
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post May 11 2008, 06:45 AM
Post #11

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Yep, I agree with that. The graphics can no longer impede gameplay, they're too good. I care about two things with graphics now - consistancy and art style.

Hopefully it'll be a bit longer than the first GoW.

Yeah. I think the first game would have been a decent length with Act 5. Has anybody played the PC version?

Games are 100% about fun and innovation /=/ fun.

Yep. Innovation can highten the amount of fun, which is why gamers love it so much. Where they go wrong is thinking that you can't have fun without innovation.

Oh, and that was a fun time playing CoD4 with you, Lone. I hated when I got a disk read error (stupid Microsoft and their faulty hardware!). Looks like I'm going to have to send it in for a second time. I'm eventually going to buy a new one (I hear new and improved ones are coming out in August supposedly).

When I joined back after my DREs, I was on the opposite team but had the luck of a....leprechaun. I ended up getting helicopter so fast that I didn't have time to use the radar and airstrike! 0_o

I noticed that. Your helicopter killed me and the game had only just started. ^^ Everyone's weapons were so much more powerful than mine, it was kind of annoying (kind of meaning a lot). Their assault rifles took 2 - 3 well aimed bullets to kill me. Mine take at least 8. sad.gif

I switched to the sniper in the second match, that was pretty good. I took out three members of your team in a couple of seconds once. The funny thing is that it took me about 30 seconds to kill them (weakling pistol!) and they never noticed I was standing there. laugh.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Delusive
post May 11 2008, 05:09 PM
Post #12

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

What you should use is the M16 - that's a "beginner weapon" and I'm still using it. It's a very powerful weapon that takes some skill to use but when you use it correctly, it's very deadly (you know MPagar? He uses the M16 and he's very good, the best of us all).

I also have your same opinion as far as graphics (I know you already said you agreed but you mentioned something else that I forgot to mention) in that I think art-style is really what matters now (and consistency goes along with that).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Stealth
post May 16 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #13

A Patriot

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Everyone knows the best gun is the G3 with the damage bonus perks. I forget what they're called.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2018 - 04:05 AM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.