Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Itagaki interview, Last NG, NGS is bad, etc.
Delusive
post May 21 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #1

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2987

From our little one-on-one with Tomonobu Itagaki last week, it looks like the man mainly responsible for the DOA and Ninja Gadien series is at a crossroads in his career.

He told us there'll be no more Ninja Gaiden games. Or Dead Or Alive beat-'em-ups. So what's next for the outspoken Japanese dev? From what he's said, even he doesn't know yet...

Please tell us that the stories of Ninja Gaiden II being the last game in the series EVER aren't true!

Tomonobu Itagaki: Ha, I've done everything I wanted to accomplish with this franchise and all of my closest colleagues are satisfied and agree that we've done as much as we can with it.

What did you think of the PS3 game Ninja Gaiden: Sigma? I'm told you won't even sign copies of the game...?

Itagaki: It was no good.

Why's that? I thought it was pretty good.

Itagaki: All you need to do is play Ninja Gaiden II and then try and play Sigma afterwards and you'll see why.

Despite the fact that it's on a 'next-generation' console there's no evolution whatsoever. That was made not by me, but one of my sub-ordinates who basically tried to copy the success of Ninja Gaiden.

Does that mean we'll never see NGII on PS3?

Itagaki: No because it's a 360 exclusive.

But Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden: Black were Xbox exclusives at the time...

Itagaki: We've announced it as an Xbox 360 exclusive, but I don't own Tecmo the company. But if that were to ever happen it would be a loss of face for everyone involved.

As the NG series is at an end then, what's your favourite memory of the series?

Itagaki: I think it's probably the Attract mode which you might have seen when you leave the screen on without doing anything. It shows a ninja graveyard. That's my most memorable moment.

What would you like the series to be remembered for?

Itagaki: I'd like to be remembered as the black sheep of game design.

So what's next for Dead or Alive?

Itagaki: This is another area that me and my closest colleagues all agree that we were able to achieve the definitive fighting game with DOA4. So we're not looking to extend the series at this point.

What's next then? Where do you go from here?

Itagaki: I'd like to make a brand new action game. Something that no one's ever seen before.

And ideas on what that might be? You're going to take some time off first though, right?

Itagaki: Yes, I'm going to take a few months off before I really get into it. But regardless of what it is I think you'll definitely see violence as a component of that franchise as well.

So the whole 'violence in games' issue doesn't worry you then?

Itagaki: No, it does not bother me because we are following all of the rules in terms of ratings. And I believe we're following morality as well in only showing violence between combatants. I think the 'violence issue' is something that is within each individual who plays the game.

I'm not shallow enough to tell people that they shouldn't be concerned with violence and I don't want to put words in other people's mouths. I just know that I have to follow the ratings and make sure it's not going to offend anybody. I feel there is no issue with that.

If I had any complaints about government regulations it would be the fact that Tokyo recently outlawed smoking in taxi cabs. That's a bigger problem for me right now.

What are your thoughts on Grand Theft Auto IV?

Itagaki: I think it's made extremely well and is a fun game. People always use that as an example of violence in games. I don't think there's anyone who takes their job as seriously as the guys who make that game. You only have to look at all the detail in there.

Worthy of being the biggest game of all time?

Itagaki: I think it's an important argument to make that; how many billions of people in the world are there? And it sold a few million copies. In the overall scheme of things it's not a huge deal.

But it is the biggest entertainment launch ever. And that's a fact. Do you think it's worthy of that headline?

Itagaki: I don't want you to think I'm being cynical, or that I'm trying to dodge the question or anything, but I don't think of those things like that. As far as me thinking it's worthy, I don't have a particular opinion. I mean it sold, people bought it. That's the reality of it.

PR: Time's up.

Itagaki: How did you like the content of the answers?

CVG: Yeah, very good. Better than I thought they'd be through an interpreter.

Itagaki: Laughs

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=189396

Wow. His arrogant attitude can sometimes get annoying but he's always an interesting person to see interviewed. I can't imagine how he gets away with what he says about Ninja Gaiden Sigma and the people that did it - he won't even sign copies of NGS!

With that said, it's very nice to learn that he's not going to milk a series out. NGII is the last in the series, DoA4 is also the last of the series and he's going to work on something entirely new now. Awesome. Very awesome.

Itagaki is a strange developer. Not very good morals, but an awesome developer (and one of my favorites).

--------------------
Most Anticipated Title(s): Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey
Now Playing: Halo 3, Blue Dragon, Call of Duty 2, and Gears of War
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
steiner
post May 21 2008, 07:16 PM
Post #2

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

What an...interesting guy.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
Delusive
post May 21 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #3

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Yea, I really think he just puts on a "play" for the media. There's no way he's really like this all the time, it's probably just his character.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Snake
post May 21 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #4

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 955

QUOTE(Delusive @ May 21 2008, 02:53 PM) *

Yea, I really think he just puts on a "play" for the media. There's no way he's really like this all the time, it's probably just his character.

What makes you think he is not like this in real life?

I don't like him and his stupid attitude, but I think the games look good. Too challenging for me, though.
+Quote Post
Delusive
post May 22 2008, 02:02 AM
Post #5

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Snake @ May 21 2008, 11:18 PM) *

What makes you think he is not like this in real life?

I'm not saying he couldn't be like this, I'm just saying that it's highly unlikely he's THIS arrogant and "rockstarish" in real life.

I don't like him and his stupid attitude, but I think the games look good. Too challenging for me, though.

Well, if I knew him personally, and if he acts the way he does now, then I don't think I'd be the type of person that could hang around him. His interviews are amusing with his attitude from afar, though. And his games are good (enough to be the creator of my favorite game in the action/hack-n'-slash genre).

Apparently Kojima and him are really good friends, though. Or so I hear. Itagaki is also apparently on good terms with Jaffe (creator of GoW).

Not that that dealt with anything in this topic, it'd just an interesting tidbit on what developers Itagaki respects or likes.

EDIT:

Of course if he doesn't actually sign copies of Ninja Gaiden Sigma because he believes its too inferior to him and his work, then I guess one could make a really good argument for him acting like this all the time. Unless that was a clever media publicity stunt to trick us into believing that he's like this. I smell conspiracy.

--------------------
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post May 22 2008, 08:20 AM
Post #6

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 828

Is he the guy on assault charges? I don't like him.

--------------------
IPB Image
Signiture made by Charlie (different forum, 2002)
+Quote Post
steiner
post May 22 2008, 09:32 AM
Post #7

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

^Read the bottom bit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomonobu_Itagaki

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post May 22 2008, 01:27 PM
Post #8

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 828

^K. I still don't like him.

--------------------
IPB Image
Signiture made by Charlie (different forum, 2002)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2018 - 03:36 AM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.