Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Official Metal Gear Solid 4 thread, make sure to keep spoiler alerts clear!
joesmith123
post Jun 12 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #1

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 866

I figured I'd make this thread since I just got my PS3 bundle with MGS4 this morning. Although not without one hell of a fight, but that's another story.

Here's where we can discuss the sure to be crazy story of MGS4. Just please don't drop any spoilers without plenty of prior warning in your post.

--------------------
IPB Image

Thanks again to Snake for another great sig. As always his work on my behalf is greatly appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Delusive
post Jun 12 2008, 03:38 PM
Post #2

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2987

Sweet, the discussions almost begins. I'll be able to give some impressions later today. Picked up my bundle at midnight (with little to no fight at all).

--------------------
Most Anticipated Title(s): Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey
Now Playing: Halo 3, Blue Dragon, Call of Duty 2, and Gears of War
+Quote Post
Jeg
post Jun 12 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #3

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 789

I got the bundle today! There were like 15 people waiting in line and only 25 bundles. The problem is I can't open it right now. My birthday is coming soon and I have a feeling I might get a PS3 from my parents. If that happens, I'll just take this one back and get my money back.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Jun 12 2008, 08:19 PM
Post #4

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

^You were lucky. I went to 4 different stores before finding one. At one store there was 2 and I was the 3rd in line. But oh well I got one in the end so it's all good now.

--------------------
IPB Image

Thanks again to Snake for another great sig. As always his work on my behalf is greatly appreciated.
+Quote Post
B.Valentine
post Jun 12 2008, 08:47 PM
Post #5

But you're so supreme!!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2037

I figured I'd make this thread since I just got my PS3 bundle with MGS4 this morning. Although not without one hell of a fight, but that's another story.

Im glad you found it!

Where i was there was 6 bundles!I didnt buy the bundle just one friend, i was there for the LE. Me and some friends were the first ones so it wasnt a problem, not much line though, they were like 13 the second ones arrived at 7am and we arrived at past 9pm ...XD

--------------------
IPB Image
t.a.
+Quote Post
Delusive
post Jun 13 2008, 01:38 AM
Post #6

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

I'll be playing the game tomorrow. I just picked up my LE a while back with my art book and I gotta say - that is one of the best LEs of games that I have seen in a while. I don't really think any LE compares to the one of MGS4.

It even comes with the original case and disk (the original edition) you buy in stores (the non-LE).

Seriously can't wait to play it.

Anyway, there were only 10-12 people in line at Best Buy (during midnight) and about 10 or so PS3 bundles (not everyone was getting a bundle) - I got a ticket which ensured my bundle and I was number 5. Rest assured, I did get the $70 2-year warranty on my PS3. There was even a guy dressed up as Psycho Mantis. Was neat and scary all at the same time! shok.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Fox
post Jun 13 2008, 02:43 PM
Post #7

Ninja Fox - The Silent Menace
Group Icon

Member No.: 2280

I was gonna be playing it today, but my bastard university chose TODAY to cash a cheque I gave em 2 months ago, meaning I am broke for a few weeks. GAHH!!

--------------------
PSN: "corneliusfingers"
twitter: @corneliusfinger
Blog: Games Under the Knife
+Quote Post
Delusive
post Jun 13 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #8

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Will be playing it today - can not wait.

Also:

QUOTE(IGN)
10 Presentation
A story worthy of a feature length film, with action that keeps you engaged from the second you hit the start button 'til the final credits roll.

10 Graphics
Incredibly detailed and visually breathtaking, with amazing camera angles, MGS4 is one of the most beautiful titles ever made.

10 Sound
Haunting melodies, the re-introduction of classic themes via iPod, and perfect line delivery by actors -- this is an aural delight from start to finish.

10 Gameplay
Not only does MGS4 include new gameplay mechanics, it shatters the mold of what's expected from the series. Stealth, action, or balanced play: the choice is yours in how you explore this MGS world.

10 Lasting Appeal
There are dozens of secrets and Sexy times, along with tons of ways to approach any combat situation. Plus, when you're done with the single La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo, MGO will keep you engaged for weeks on end.

Masterful OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Is it possible to give a game an 11? If so, this would be the game that would merit that score. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a title that exceeds all of the hype that was attached to the title. Regardless of whether you've seen every trailer and screenshot, read every preview and heard every interview, you won't get a full sense of how phenomenal this title is unless you sit down and experience it for yourself.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/881/881472p1.html

IGN: for once, the IGN doesn't stand for IGNorant!

--------------------
+Quote Post
(Phoenix)
post Jun 13 2008, 09:58 PM
Post #9

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1889

Amazing game so far. Well worth the wait and probably the best game on the PS3 to date. I wish there were more games of this standard out right now, it really deserves the high praise it's received.
+Quote Post
Delusive
post Jun 13 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #10

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Gamespot has just given MGS4 a...

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/meta...l?mode=gsreview

*whispers* 10/10 *whispers*

Got to play MGS4 today. I know this game only gets way better from reviews and it's already in my favorite game so far. What does that tell you about the game? It's AWEsome.

--------------------
+Quote Post
N2Y
post Jun 14 2008, 11:38 AM
Post #11

Wiiii Love PS3... and Jessica Alba! And Penelope Cruz!
Group Icon

Member No.: 734

Wow, amazing reviews. Makes me want that PS3 now! Too bad there are more important things... (like a house, a car, gas, insurance, etc)

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
BohemianAndy
post Jun 14 2008, 12:14 PM
Post #12

Dentist brah
Group Icon

Member No.: 1071

^ Doesn't matter. Good things come to those who wait wink.gif I know I'll have my MGS4 fun after June 26th...

--------------------
<3 FT//GRG2//Sarah
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Jun 14 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #13

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

I just finished the first act yesterday and so far the game is phenomenal. Even the mission briefings are very entertaining.

My only real complaints with the game are that you can't change difficulty once you start and sometimes when you are crawling through a very large firefight and you get too close to a body Snake will pop up off his belly and give himself away. This is very annoying when I was taking advantage of the fight to make myself some money from the dead.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Delusive
post Jun 14 2008, 07:03 PM
Post #14

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

JS, I think we're in for a real treat because apparently the first act doesn't even compare to the latter acts. !_!

Also, something very....seemingly painful yet funny happened on my first playthrough:

*SPOILERS for the FIRST Act*

Everyone should know that statue in the gameplay videos where Snake camo's himself with, right? It's a naked statue. Snake covers up the statues' "treasure" when hiding there to blend in with the statues. Anyway, I did that but I let up on the triangle button so I redid it again and the statues' "treasure" kind of, well, popped off. Snake looked somewhat surprised and quickly got back in position. I guess Snake doesn't know his own strength! tongue.gif

*END SPOILERS*

Also: MGS4 sells 1 Million on Day 1. It sold over 300k in Japan alone and over 400k in America.

http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=1297

The Playstation is back because of one game. Who would have thunk it? A 180% increase in Playstation hardware in America alone. It'll be interesting to see if this baby has legs and I very well think so.

IF VGCharts is reliable - we'll still have to wait for NPD numbers. I think NPD already said it sold 300k in Japan alone, though so that should give some credibility to VGCharts this time around.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Stealth
post Jun 15 2008, 02:06 AM
Post #15

A Patriot

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Too busy playing to write anything other than it's the best fucking game ever.

This post has been edited by Stealth: Jun 15 2008, 02:06 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Delusive
post Jun 15 2008, 02:15 AM
Post #16

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

I'm about to go play more of it myself.

I'm still going to say this: Next gen either has just started or the next gen of this current gen has started with MGS4. Too bad we won't see it again until PS4, Xbox 720, Nii or what have you.

I love this game.

*SPOILERS - ACT 1*

EDIT: Just got past Act 1 - awesome ending. The first mission briefing was awesome as well - I love Sunny. She's so realistically kidish. This game just gets better and better though - the story started off kind of slow in the beginning but it's constantly starting to pick up. My favorite part so far would have to be the FROGS battle though, that was intense with some AWESOME AI.

*END SPOILERS*

--------------------
+Quote Post
(Phoenix)
post Jun 15 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #17

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Holy shit, the end of act 3 was amazing. Seriously amazing.

This game is truly epic, 10/10. Hell that doesnt really do it justice.
+Quote Post
Snake
post Jun 15 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #18

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 955

I played 10 hours on Thursday the day it came out, and 7 hours and some odd minutes on Friday which gave me the ending. Totally, the best game this generation. OMG AT THE 10/10 FROM GAMESTOP AND IGN, OMG! *calms down* Yeah, this game is great in every single way. I was watching the bonus Blu-Ray, and they said that the PS2 started out with the sentence "There are no games" and that happened until MGS2 came out. I think it's the same thing this time around. MGS4 is the beginning of the PS3. I don't think, I know. But, now, all the games have to live up to this game.

I give it a 10/10, too.

SPOILERS...

It was so sad to see Big Momma die whenever she tried to get back Big Boss' body, which is really Solidus' body, and then died. Before that, in that same cutscene, though, holy crap. The way Liquid Ocelot was doing his hands and making shooting signs and then making everybody go crazy. Wow. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before. Well, there was a lot of great moments, but I have no time to right them all.

//SPOILERS
+Quote Post
(Phoenix)
post Jun 16 2008, 12:34 AM
Post #19

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Finished. But I have one massive question

WHY WAS THE ENDING SO LONG!? It dragged on forever! I nearly fell asleep >_<

Apart from that however the game was absolutely amazing
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post Jun 16 2008, 12:54 AM
Post #20

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 828

^In MGS the game drags on for 20 minutes, even though the actions ended and all the ends are tied up. MGS2's ending doesnt' drag, but it did go for over an hour. I haven't played MGS3. Aren't tediously long endings supposed to be in every MGS game? tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Signiture made by Charlie (different forum, 2002)
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2018 - 04:06 PM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.