Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Official Metal Gear Solid 4 thread, make sure to keep spoiler alerts clear!
Stealth
post Jun 17 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #41

A Patriot

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

QUOTE(Fox @ Jun 17 2008, 09:52 AM) *
Then you weren't varying it enough. It's so easy to fall into the trap of just using the M4 or whatever, but this game is better than that. I had loads of fun switching my weapons, trying out new tactics, sneaking, etc. etc.

Hey, I'm all for games having optional depth, but if its easier to go through the entire game with very little depth thats a failing of the game, not the player. Imagine a first person shooter where you have loads of really inventive weapons but the most effective in every scenario is the assault rifle.

I wasn't playing on the hardest difficulty so that might be part of it, so hopefully this second playthrough am on will be better.

As for the Codec calls, I stand by my position. I'm glad Kojima took out all the really long mandatory calls and made them cutscenes, but all the optional stuff? They were really refreshing in MGS3, cause maybe you're curious about the new weapon you have, or maybe you want a break from sneaking just to have a chat with your support team. That element is going to be highly missed by me!

I still don't think it's a valid criticism. I've run through all previous MGS games rambo style, and it was still easy. At least MGS4, there's are actual fleshed out paths for alternate play styles, which makes it much more fun.

Also, I agree with the codec stuff. I wish there were more optional codec calls, but its not a huge deal.

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Fox
post Jun 17 2008, 09:51 PM
Post #42

Ninja Fox - The Silent Menace
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2280

^ Well maybe thats a failing of the other MGS games as well! I didnt find that in earlier games, there were some areas I felt it was best to sneak through, and some I felt best served taking out some guards first.

And I'm not saying it was too easy to charge through gung-ho, I'm saying it was too easy to go through with one strategy and a few weapons. For example, I used on RPG in the whole game, and did next to no customization of weapons. Crawling everywhere stopping every few feet to change octocamo texture pretty much garunteed safe passage, and I at no point felt the need to use a distracting magaine or a sound on the wall or play dead.

There is so much depth, but so little of it is encouraged to be used, and that is a problem that could have been easily fixed with a more comprehensive tutorial on its own, without even changing the rest of the game!

Think about it, in MGS3 you're shown how to shoot that beehive down, so when you're in a tough corner you think to look for one. CQC is explained and played up in great detail, so you use it alot. The CURE system was explained in great detail as well so you knew exactly how to go and sort injuries out.

MGS4 would have benefited so much from that sort of systme that explained some of the advantages of weapon customization, or throwing decoys around or rolling sideways on the ground. One thing they did explain quite well was the Solid Eye, and as a result I used it alot to keep an eye on enemy footprints.

It's not so much the fact that this depth isnt REQUIRED that bugs me, its that using it is discouraged because trying means fumbling around in the unknown. Trial and error is not a good gameplay mechanic for a stealth game.

--------------------
PSN: "corneliusfingers"
twitter: @corneliusfinger
Blog: Games Under the Knife
+Quote Post
(Phoenix)
post Jun 17 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #43

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1889

I agree with you Fox. I never felt any need to do anything except crawl with the octocamo, tranq/kill some guards and keep moving. Hopefully this playthrough might make me try different stuff (going for no alerts).

I missed the codec calls too. Why didn't they let you call [SPOILERS] Drebin or Naomi? [END SPOILERS]
+Quote Post
Delusive
post Jun 17 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #44

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2987

I actually prefer OPTIONAL codec sequences to main codec sequences for this reason: Why do you even have to "access" your codec when it's shown, in actual gameplay, that Otacon can talk to you (like in the beginning of the Opening where Otacon says to head north and to avoid the Gekko)? Optional codec sequences would make more sense than main ones in that regard.

I tend to like the codec though - I like cut-scenes more, but the codec is a nice way of getting information and I understand the rationale of having codec sequences over just in-game talking.

MGS4 is full of Easter eggs though so optional codec sequences, which there ARE some, actually a lot, are more of a bonus than a flaw. I don't think you can blame a game for not having as many optional codec sequences when you have so many other optional things to do in the game:

(for instance)

*SPOILERS in a codec sequence, ironically:

(try shaking your controller when talking to Rosemary)

*END SPOILERS*

And is it JUST me or is there a noticeable difference between say...Halo 3's sound and MGS4's sound? Now that I've played MGS4, Halo 3's sound sounds muffled. I know MGS4 didn't compress its sound files.

--------------------
Most Anticipated Title(s): Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey
Now Playing: Halo 3, Blue Dragon, Call of Duty 2, and Gears of War
+Quote Post
Stealth
post Jun 18 2008, 04:31 AM
Post #45

A Patriot

Well, Halo 3 sucked. But I'm not sure what you mean. Why would the two games sound even remotely the same?

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Delusive
post Jun 18 2008, 04:36 AM
Post #46

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Stealth @ Jun 18 2008, 04:31 AM) *

Well, Halo 3 sucked.

Don't agree with that but that's for another topic.

But I'm not sure what you mean. Why would the two games sound even remotely the same?

I mean, Halo 3's sounds sound muffled (like the gunshots and whatnot when they whiz by your head) compared to MGS4's sounds (like gunshots, especially when they whiz by your head).

--------------------
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post Jun 18 2008, 08:07 AM
Post #47

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 828

QUOTE(Stealth @ Jun 18 2008, 02:31 PM) *

Well, Halo 3 sucked.

Really? Is that a fact? What part?

--------------------
IPB Image
Signiture made by Charlie (different forum, 2002)
+Quote Post
Stealth
post Jun 18 2008, 09:00 AM
Post #48

A Patriot

QUOTE(Delusive @ Jun 17 2008, 10:36 PM) *
QUOTE(Stealth @ Jun 18 2008, 04:31 AM) *

Well, Halo 3 sucked.

Don't agree with that but that's for another topic.

But I'm not sure what you mean. Why would the two games sound even remotely the same?

I mean, Halo 3's sounds sound muffled (like the gunshots and whatnot when they whiz by your head) compared to MGS4's sounds (like gunshots, especially when they whiz by your head).

I don't quite remember Halo 3's sound, and I'm to lazy to boot it up. But it's quite possible MGS4's sound is just better.

Unfortunately, it would be really hard for you to explain what you mean without sound samples or something. :/

Really? Is that a fact? What part?

It was a joke, get over it.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post Jun 18 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #49

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Stealth @ Jun 18 2008, 07:00 PM) *
It was a joke, get over it.

Well excuse me for missing the subtle genius in your joke, but there's no point being such an ass about it. huh.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
(Phoenix)
post Jun 18 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #50

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

*Holds back fanboy rage* =P

I haven't really noticed the difference myself, but that being said my speakers on my TV arn't the best in the world.
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Jun 19 2008, 01:44 AM
Post #51

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

Member No.: 866

I actually prefer OPTIONAL codec sequences to main codec sequences for this reason: Why do you even have to "access" your codec when it's shown, in actual gameplay, that Otacon can talk to you (like in the beginning of the Opening where Otacon says to head north and to avoid the Gekko)? Optional codec sequences would make more sense than main ones in that regard.

You can skip through any codec sequence. Just look at the options to the left of the screen where Otacon or whoever is talking.

--------------------
IPB Image

Thanks again to Snake for another great sig. As always his work on my behalf is greatly appreciated.
+Quote Post
(Phoenix)
post Jun 19 2008, 02:32 PM
Post #52

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Ok, this game is FUCKING HARD on The Boss Extreme.

3 continues and I haven't even reached the mkII
+Quote Post
Delusive
post Jun 19 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #53

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(joesmith123 @ Jun 19 2008, 01:44 AM) *

You can skip through any codec sequence. Just look at the options to the left of the screen where Otacon or whoever is talking.

Yea, I know. I just like listening to the codec sequences the first time.

Did I mention that MGS4 is my favorite game of all time? It keeps getting better and better with every act and EVERY act is a WHOLE NEW environment.

EDIT: On PSN - GO THERE NOW. There is an AWESOME MGS4 Database that explains everything there is to need to know about Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Metal Gear Solid 4 (though this info is blacked out until you have MGS4 data and it won't be totally revealed until you have beaten the game). Anyway, the database is totally free and really, really good. GREAT for newcomers and vets alike.

--------------------
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Jun 21 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #54

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

I finished MGS4 yesterday and was a disappointed with the ending. Five minutes of scripted play with an hours worth of video around it didn't thrill me.

--------------------
IPB Image

Thanks again to Snake for another great sig. As always his work on my behalf is greatly appreciated.
+Quote Post
steiner
post Jun 21 2008, 02:03 PM
Post #55

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

DAMMIT. mad.gif

Europe doesnt get the MGS database. mad.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post Jun 22 2008, 03:54 AM
Post #56

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

^Goddamn wannabe-Americans! Why does Japan leave Europe out of so many things?! Do they know it's there? Probably, but they don't want the US to think they know, that would be embarrassing.

You can probably download them on the internet.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
joesmith123
post Jun 22 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #57

Cor Blimey!
Group Icon

What's the big deal it's just a database? biggrin.gif It's not like MGS4 is going to PAL countries 6 months later than us or something like that.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Delusive
post Jun 22 2008, 11:23 PM
Post #58

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(joesmith123 @ Jun 22 2008, 10:20 PM) *

What's the big deal it's just a database? biggrin.gif It's not like MGS4 is going to PAL countries 6 months later than us or something like that.

"Just a database?" JUST A DATABASE!

If by "just a database," you mean a database that contains everything you need to know about MGS lore, even intricate details and explanations like how or why the Cobra Unit explode after they are defeated.

Phhh...Just a database indeed.

Sorry Europeoples, I couldn't resist! wink.gif

biggrin.gif

You'll get it...eventually! Once you all admit the U.S.'s dominance! tongue.gif

In all seriousness, it's probably because of Ryan Payton - he's our insider within Kojima Productions of which he tries to get us cool stuff (like Essentials and now this database). The only thing he couldn't get us is that action figure in the PAL Limited Edition.

I hope the database (and definitely Essentials) goes to Europe (and the rest of the world) though. I want everyone to experience the awesome that is MGS.

--------------------
+Quote Post
(Phoenix)
post Jun 22 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #59

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

^The majority of gamers already have xD

I still prefer MGS1 to MGS4.
+Quote Post
Delusive
post Jun 23 2008, 12:13 AM
Post #60

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE((Phoenix) @ Jun 22 2008, 11:55 PM) *

^The majority of gamers already have xD

True. MGS has never been this popular until now with MGS4 so newcomers might need to find a way to play all the games. Each one is really a masterpiece in its own right.

I still prefer MGS1 to MGS4.

That's the only other game I can see competing with MGS4, though MGS4 takes the cake for me. It brought me back to MGS1 (used to be my favorite game before MGS4), but did so much more.

--------------------
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 11:33 PM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.