> So, my opinion
Snake
post Apr 21 2012, 04:45 PM
Post #1

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 955

For some reason I'm not allowed to post in the "FFXII.Net is back" thread. This is a forum where we can all state our opinion, so I'm going to state mine here. You don't have to agree or whatever, or even read this. So, I found out that this site had risen from the grave yesterday, to my utter shock. It's been around 5 years since this site went down, and I didn't think it would ever come back. I know there are a few sentimental people out there that like this old site back, but I'm honestly not one of them. Yes, this site was once a great place to post, and it was the only place I posted for a while. I was one of the most active members on this forum, and I made some good friends. Though, this site being back up has opened some old wounds that have been closed for a while now. Couple that with reading over my past posts and getting sick to my stomach, I would have rather have not taken a trip down memory lane. At the time I was kidding around so that people here could be entertained, but looking back on it now I find that I was highly immature. No, I don't have a problem with this site, but this Spam Wall for instance is just filled with filthy junk, and I'm to blame for that as well. I stayed up tossing and turning last night because of some of the things that this site brought back to my memory.

There is just one thing I don't understand. This site doesn't have to be here anymore. The community that is left could easily go to a new site. No, I'm not talking about the site I took care of, because I'm completely done with updating a site that had little activity. I'm just saying that these old posts don't need to be here anymore. The majority of the members that used to post here are not coming back, because they have moved on from where they were those years ago. So, a little friendly advice would be to start up a Versus site that is entirely fresh, and doesn't consist of these old posts. The community that is here could build it anew, and around the time when Versus comes out, the site could gain lots of hits. I remember how this site was back before it shut down. The activity lessened marginally, and barely anyone posted anymore. I was sad to see that happen, but that's what happens. It happened quicker to my site, due to the small community here all being connected via Facebook. If you start a new Versus site, there is a greater chance of new member registrations, and the community is likely to stick around. Just don't make it an obscure name. I don't know what is available domain wise, but FFVersusXIII.Net sounds good, or something similar.

So, what I'm trying to say is that for some people, probably I'm the only one, this site doesn't bring back all good memories. If this site does stay up, then at least delete all the posts in the Spam Wall and people can build that up again. If that's too much trouble, then may I ask for all of my posts to be deleted? I don't want my account gone, but I would at least be happy with none of my posts being up here anymore. When this site was down, I didn't have to worry about it, but now I do. Yes, it's my own fault for posting the jokes that I did, but I've honestly grown a lot since I posted here. This year is suppose to be a year when I pretty much start over and take control of my life. I want to forget all of the past, and focus on the present and future. Curiosity got the best of me, and that is why I have returned. I still can't believe how I acted back then, and seeing the jokes I posted, I'm actually shocked that anyone from this forum talks to me anymore. *sigh*

This is my apology for the way I acted, and I'm just hoping that at the least my post history could be wiped cleaned. Though, I don't know if that's possible, since it's been a while since I've been an admin. To clarify this thread here even more, no I'm not holding a grudge or anything like that. I would actually like to see the tight knit community be large. But, honestly, I know people get restless after a while, especially since the few members that are coming back here are just going to pretty much post in the Spam Wall. I just think that if this site was taken down, and an entirely fresh Versus forum was built by Kaj, then the community could thrive. Just inform the members here to migrate to that site, take this one down, and then the community could maybe get larger at a new site. It's been years since Final Fantasy XII released, so I doubt anyone wants to talk about that game anymore. The current generation consoles has been out for some time now, and there is currently talk of the next generation of consoles coming out next year. So, the only new members that would probably sign up here are bots, since no one is going to want to join a Final Fantasy XII community anymore. I just don't see the point in fixing up an old site that is likely not to bring in new members. Fixing up a site takes time, patience, and hard work. It would be better if that was spent on a new site where that hard work could be witnessed not just by few, but by many.

This just my opinion. I do not want to be banned, and I'm not mad at anyone at all. I just hope that people understand where I'm coming from. smile.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
(Phoenix)
post Apr 21 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #2

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 1889

For the most part I agree with the exception of the Versus part - I swear that game is going to end up cancelled.

But as for here... it's nostalgic as hell but there's no real capacity for this community to carry on existsing in its current state - if Kaj really wants to restart this community then it's going to need something to bring people back in and attract new members. FFXII wont do that.
+Quote Post
Xiitharn
post Apr 22 2012, 01:35 AM
Post #3

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1134

QUOTE(Snake @ Apr 21 2012, 09:45 AM) *

At the time I was kidding around so that people here could be entertained, but looking back on it now I find that I was highly immature. No, I don't have a problem with this site, but this Spam Wall for instance is just filled with filthy junk, and I'm to blame for that as well. I stayed up tossing and turning last night because of some of the things that this site brought back to my memory.

Yes, it's my own fault for posting the jokes that I did, but I've honestly grown a lot since I posted here. This year is suppose to be a year when I pretty much start over and take control of my life. I want to forget all of the past, and focus on the present and future. Curiosity got the best of me, and that is why I have returned. I still can't believe how I acted back then

It's funny, I had the exact same thoughts (about myself).

I haven't gone back to read my old posts, mostly because it won't let me for some reason (which is probably a good thing) and I know that I would, most definitely, feel the same way if I saw the real stuff. Even when I heard the forum was back online I was initially excited but after seeing some examples of the way I used to act and speak...is kind of horrendous to witness 5-6 years after the fact.

But I think you (and I) have to remember that we were young and silly, and this was a fun place to joke around. Do I regret having fun on here? Not really. But yeah, I'm sure there's stuff on here that will make us all cringe, one way or another. I too would love to see a new forum with the same people, but you can't replicate what we used to have here.

Anyway, not sure where I'm going with this, but I had similar thoughts to you, Snake, about how much I've grown in the past while. It's intriguing to see the real evidence of our past selves but it's not something to brood over.

p.s. I have definitely outgrown my username tongue.gif I am no longer that person, sad to say, but it's true

p.p.s. As an example, I'm actually slightly horrified at how much I used the XD face....oh well

--------------------
QUOTE(Nick @ May 5 2007, 04:05 PM) *
go Roger yourself with a Tuba you flappy-headed Canuck - your humour is hideous and your gayness knows no bounds!
+Quote Post
Ethereal Blade
post Apr 22 2012, 07:34 AM
Post #4

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2570

I don't know that I have much to add to this topic besides what has already been said, but this topic is on my mind right now so just feel the need to say something. I think you raise some very valid points Snake, some of which I can definitely agree with.

I've gone through a lot of my older posts too out of curiosity, and some of it was hard to read. I can't even imagine wording some of the things I said before that way now. Not that I feel they were bad posts, but I was surprised at how naive or over excited I seem in some of them; it felt almost cheesy at times. Oh, and too many smilies for my taste. But at the same time, I also liked looking back on them, as I can appreciate how I am currently lot more. However I do realize your case is different than mine, and would never expect you to feel the same as me about this.

I'm definitely in favor of a new site that carries a more modern FF name. There is simply no denying that this is what it will take to build the community back up. If this comes to be, you can be sure that I WILL be there. But this place has had a pretty big impact on me, so while things are undeniably slow with very few members I will definitely come here and check around in my spare time.
+Quote Post
Kaj
post Apr 22 2012, 09:22 AM
Post #5

Goodfella
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 1

Guys, I understand how you all feel. I just want to let you know that I brought this back up, because I want to keep the ffxii.net main site alive for what it's still worth.
As for the forums, they will probably disappear again in this current state. Trying to achieve the same popularity is futile with 'ffxii' as name.
I am thinking about starting a general FF-community. I only need to come up with a good and solid name.
That community could also take care of the ff14 domain I possess; ff-xiv.com. I know ff14 is a disaster at the moment, but v2 will be released end this year and I am sure S-E will gain some more popularity.
So ffxii.net and ff-xiv.com having that 'ff community' as forum function, I believe we have a chance in creating something nice again. Maybe we can also make more ff-sites, like when ff15 gets announced in the future?

So when the new community goes live, I will cleanup this place and move it. Maybe, start new from scratch. That's still to be decided... So don't worry about it.

--------------------
| Gotta love BG's BJ <3 <3 . v2.3 |
IPB Image
+Quote Post
fat_moogle
post Apr 22 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #6

:DD:
Group Icon

Member No.: 1626

Wow, there's a lot of thoughts and opinions floating around here, so I guess I should say what I have to say.

My memories are nowhere near as bad as Snakes. I understand some of the things he went through here, and I know it must be hard to take some things in.

For me, it's the total opposite - I loved this site. And I'm not just saying that, I actually did. Maybe a little bit too much, actually. I mean, I joined when I was 15, so I was here for three years before the site went down. There was a lot of fun to be had, and made a few friends as well, so it's great to come back here for some Nostalgia. That, and it was the first forum I'd ever been on, so I've got that attachment. The good old days.

Like you say though, Kaj. FFXII.net definitely won't attract new members.

You say you're thinking of reviving it with the FF-XIV.com domain? That'll be...interesting. I mean it would be great to see a fresh forum full of old faces, but would that be enough? Don't get me wrong, the members here already are great, but could it gain enough momentum to bring in new members as well?

I'm not so sure. I've been a moderator on a Final Fantasy XIV site, and I had nobody to moderate! The site failed on it's feet. See the current board statistics:

Total Posts 18,486 Total Members 748 Newest Member ... Online At Once Record 612
Mar 17, 2011 - 3:16 AM

73 active user(s)
0 members, 73 guests, 0 anonymous users

That could be because FFXIV failed as a game. However Square Enix have made things even harder by opening their own dedicated FFXIV Forum, so you'd have that to compete with. The site admin there is also thinking of ways to revive it when FFXIV 2.0 hits.

Also with the general FF site, there's already a few of those. Plus they've had the chance to make use of Twitter etc to promote themselves.

If you do decide to do something then you've got a lot of catching up to do.

--------------------
IPB Image

<3 Married to the amazingly awesome, perfect, and beautiful PG & LL <3
+Quote Post
Snake
post Apr 22 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #7

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 955

Okay, you just made me really happy Kaj. A new community would be quite nice, and I'm sure the members who have came back to this one will go over to that one. A fresh start would be quite welcome, and it would begin the start of new memories. If there's one thing for sure, it's that people love a fresh new coat of paint and having the chance to be amongst the first people to post on a forum. I have no clue what the name of the new community could be, but I'm sure if people here could put their brains together, something good could be thought of. That's if you want our opinions, of course, but it's fine if you want to create your own name. Also, with a new community, I'll likely contribute to it a bit so that it can get a kick start. I haven't posted much on forums for a while now, but helping your new community out is the least I could do to kind of make up for my past mistakes on this forum. Thanks for posting your thoughts on the future in this thread Kaj. It's very much appreciated. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Maiden of Rabanastre
post Apr 24 2012, 04:50 AM
Post #8

Ultimate Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1898

I have mixed feelings about the revival of the forums as well, but part of me is glad they're back. Yes, it's embarrassing to go back and see all of the ridiculous shit we posted five years ago, but look at it from a perspective of how much we've all grown in that time. I'm actually kind of grateful for that. I'm SO glad that I'm not the same person, but at the same time, I'm glad that we had this place as an anchor to bring us all together as an online community. I've made some really great friends here, and that's nothing I regret.

In terms of building a new community, I think it's obvious that this forum can't stay the way it is if were ever to develop an active user-base again. But I like Kaj's ideas on starting something new in the line of a FF forum. I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

And I never out grew the laugh.gif smilie.

This post has been edited by Maiden of Rabanastre: Apr 24 2012, 04:52 AM
+Quote Post
steiner
post Feb 2 2013, 11:31 PM
Post #9

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

I definitely see where you're coming from Snake, but I'm more in Chicken_Wuss's camp. However, if it makes you feel better, I can honestly say that my opinion of you at the time was purely positive. So whatever stupid things you did do or say...I don't remember 'em!

I said a lot of immature and stupid things on this site. But personally, I sleep easy because:

1. I was just a kid messing around
2. No matter how stupid or rude something I posted sounded, I know in my heart that there was no malice in - it was just a bit of fun

So the worst I can be guilty of is a sense of humour failure: but I still think I was amusing some of the time tongue.gif

From another perspective though, I hope that people from outside the ffxii.net community don't see our posts. To understand the jokes you had to be there at the time and on the inside - able to understand, for example, that Chicken_Wuss was a term of endearment, not a cruel insult.

EDIT: Having spent a whole day reading through a huge number of my posts, Snake, I think you have a good point about the 'deleting posts' thing. These things we say in our youth aren't meant to stay with us for eternity! The nostalgia is immense and I'm not ashamed of my old self, but I don't exactly want a future employer reading through my old posts judging me on the basis of the silly things I said all those years ago. So yeah Kaj, if you're reading this, please delete all my posts. Alternatively, consider deleting the spam wall altogether.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
steiner
post Feb 4 2013, 12:06 AM
Post #10

It's been too long...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1745

[Actually, just ignore this post]

--------------------
IPB Image
"Foolish. Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight..." -Amarant Coral, FFIX
Mmmmm....Married to Garlz, Mel and KittenLittle.
+Quote Post
Jhei_Em
post Mar 1 2013, 04:44 PM
Post #11

One of the founders of the Choco Empire
Group Icon

From: Hogwarts, Smallville, Balamb, Gaia (that's my address!)
Member No.: 1643

I definitely want to see a new site where we can all post again in a regular manner.

--------------------
WOOOOT!
VERY PROUD MEMBER OF THE GIGANTIC CHOCOBO FAMILY!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2018 - 08:52 AM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.