Kaj
post Apr 22 2012, 09:47 AM
Post #1

Goodfella
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 1

What do you think?

- Start a new general FF community with a whole new domain? Like for example; www.finalfantasycommunity.com? If you pick this option, give your idea's about a cool name too!

- Start a new FF community with the ff14 domain I own; www.ff-xiv.com?

- Something else? You name it...

- Do nothing and give up?

--------------------
| Gotta love BG's BJ <3 <3 . v2.3 |
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
(Phoenix)
post Apr 22 2012, 12:43 PM
Post #2

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 1889

I'm liking the general FF community option the most. The problem with tying a community to a specific game is the fact that that game's fanbase will always be the determining factor with regards to how active the community will be. As soon as the interest in that game starts to dwindle, the community will decline too.

I understand that 14 is an MMO and therefore more likely to have a long-lasting fanbase, but even then it's risky to base a community around it because it's very easy for an MMO to lose its fanbase with a few poor updates or negative publicity. Case in point being Star Wars Galaxies.

At least with a general FF community there will always be something to bring people in (unless Square goes out of business I doubt we'll ever see the end of Final Fantasy). As for names, Final Fantasy Community actually sounds pretty awesome.

EDIT: I feel that I should mention, however, that there's no shortage of general Final Fantasy fansites out there, so it could be pretty hard to make any headway in that respect.
+Quote Post
Ethereal Blade
post Apr 22 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #3

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2570

I second having a new general Final Fantasy community. Although (Phoenix) mentioned that there isn't a shortage of general FF sites, and while I do agree that it's possible it could be hard to compete with already established communities with the same focus, I still feel that this is probably the best route.

By going with a more general approach, I suppose the site could focus on the next upcoming game, while still being able to move on when the time is right, and not be confined to to it's name. After FFXII had been out for a while, naturally the hype died down, and with it in a way, this site's original purpose. I guess (Phoenix) basically already mentioned this in his post though. I guess what I'm trying to get at is a general approach will probably have longer lasting community.

I don't really have any cool domain name ideas yet, sorry. tongue.gif I do think Kaj's name was good. Simple, effective, and to the point. If I do think of any decent ones myself, I will be sure to edit my post and list them.

I just realized my post basically sounds like a rewording of the things (Phoenix) said... *facepalm* Oh well, I guess.
+Quote Post
Snake
post Apr 22 2012, 11:41 PM
Post #4

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 955

QUOTE(Kaj @ Apr 22 2012, 04:47 AM) *

What do you think?

- Start a new general FF community with a whole new domain? Like for example; www.finalfantasycommunity.com? If you pick this option, give your idea's about a cool name too!

Pretty much what I want. A new community where the current active members here migrate to, and build it up from scratch. Thinking about a cool new name is a bit tough, but I'm sure in time someone will come up with a name that everyone loves. Maybe we could all just throw out random community names, and then make a poll where people could vote for the best? I'll post some random ideas below...

ffdistrict.com
ffsolidarity.com
ffunion.com
ffgamingboard.com
thekupocommunity.com
airshipofthoughts.com
wearefinalfantasyfans.com
roleplayingcitizens.com
fansofsquare-enix.com
playersoffinalfantasy.com
thefinalfantasymeetup.com
wegame-wetalk-finalfantasy.com

That's all that I could come up with so far. I would love to hear other people's ideas. smile.gif
+Quote Post
fierytempest
post Apr 23 2012, 02:23 AM
Post #5

I've got rain in my veins
Group Icon

Member No.: 8127

How about Versus XIII? We know that thing's never getting released, and I bet people still search for FFXIII a lot.

I would PREFER a general FF site, but as stated above, there are a ton of those.

--------------------
I am done with my graceless heart
So tonight I'm gonna cut it out and then restart
I like to keep my issue drawn
It's always darkest before the dawn

Xii<3
+Quote Post
Fox
post Apr 23 2012, 05:32 PM
Post #6

Ninja Fox - The Silent Menace
Group Icon

Member No.: 2280

Or how about FFXV.net or something? The trouble with a general community name is that your always gonna have about the same amount of traffic, which can be very hard to pick up. We've been down this road with FFNext.

Whereas if you create it for a future specific game, you can both maintain the community you already have and guarantee a steady increase in traffic the closer the game gets to being released. I think, considering the size of what we have here, that might be the better approach.

The obvious problem is we eventually get to a point 6 months after the game's release where it is no longer all that relevant. But then you just update it again!

--------------------
PSN: "corneliusfingers"
twitter: @corneliusfinger
Blog: Games Under the Knife
+Quote Post
Snake
post Apr 23 2012, 07:31 PM
Post #7

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Versus and Type-0 are the only options I can see this community moving over to. They both have information about them, Type-0 more than Versus since it actually released in Japan. Ten to one this E3 will be where S-E will show off Type-0 for the west on the Vita, and it will create lots of buzz. Who knows when new Versus information will be available, but we do know it exists. When S-E finally gets the nerve to release the game, then I think Final Fantasy will have a resurgence. Lord knows the franchise needs it. Though, if anything, S-E will talk about FFXIV, which the community here could care less about. You have to base a forum off of a game that the current community likes, or else it will just die like many other forums do. Also, fat_moogle made a valid point in my thread as to why FFXIV wouldn't be a good idea to base a forum on. So, to me, Versus and Type-0 are the only options. You have a great idea Fox, but currently FFXV doesn't exist, and there's not a shred of information about it. Creating a website for it will just be jumping the gun, and the community will get bored with having to wait so long. Plus, we all know Final Fantasy XIII-3 is coming sooner or later, which would push back the release of FFXV even more. Though, I'd rather post on a forum for a game that isn't out yet, than a game that came out years ago.

In the end, FXN has all the Final Fantasy fans any Final Fantasy forum could wish to have. It's just the cold hard truth. When I was updating the site I was taking care of, someone told me that FXN was a better site. It's just kind of sad to hear something like that, especially when you take the time to fetch news to post and find new screenshots + make thumbnails for each one of them. It's possible to have your own little community, but it's almost just like real estate. With real estate it's location, location, location. With a community it's name, name, name. If no one is going to type in any part of the name of your community, chances are that new members will not join. Advertising can help, but only if you have 500 unique visitors a day. Maybe just maybe, if the community wants to have a forum to post on, maybe we should definitely base it around something else instead of a Final Fantasy game. Maybe something like music, since we all enjoy listening to music. Heck, there are even some boards out there that have no front page, and just have a forum and thrive. There's a lot of options out there, but there's only one that the community here has to decide they want to be a part of.
+Quote Post
Katya
post Apr 24 2012, 02:15 PM
Post #8

Brutally Honest
Group Icon

Member No.: 8

It's hard to say what can become popular these days. One thing for sure, don't waste your time making a FF14 site. That's just digging a grave for yourself from the start. Remember how that FF11 site worked out for FFx2.net people?

--------------------
IPB Image
☆ sig by andrzej ☆
+Quote Post
fat_moogle
post Apr 24 2012, 03:06 PM
Post #9

:DD:
Group Icon

Member No.: 1626

QUOTE(fierytempest @ Apr 23 2012, 03:23 AM) *

How about Versus XIII? We know that thing's never getting released, and I bet people still search for FFXIII a lot.

Haha, Versus XIII really is vaporware. If it doesn't get a big showing at this years TGS then... :/

QUOTE(Fox @ Apr 23 2012, 06:32 PM) *

Or how about FFXV.net or something?

It's good to think ahead. FXN has already got FF-XV.net covered for such an occasion.

& I'm with Phoenix, I like the name "Final Fantasy Community". Simple and to the point.

--------------------
IPB Image

<3 Married to the amazingly awesome, perfect, and beautiful PG & LL <3
+Quote Post
Kaj
post Apr 26 2012, 08:07 PM
Post #10

Goodfella
Group Icon

What do you guys think of www.ffboard.com?

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Balthier's Girl
post Apr 26 2012, 08:39 PM
Post #11

............♥............
Group Icon

Member No.: 5635

I think it sounds like ffbored.com. Also, idiots who can't spell might consider it the same thing.

Not that I have any other ideas.

--------------------
IPB Image
Über Emo Wife of *Garland* // fireytempest's temptress
Mystical Inferno's Angelinaest Wifey // Kajutsa's Foxy Fellating Wifey
~ OLD SIG BY INHERT WHO ISN'T EVEN HERE ANYMORE ~

Ethereal Blade's Super Secret Wife
+Quote Post
(Phoenix)
post Apr 26 2012, 10:23 PM
Post #12

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Are you planning on having an accompanying blog/main site in addition to the forums like ffxii.net has? If so then FFBoard probably wouldn't be the best name since it would imply that it was a forum community only. Unless that's the plan in the first place.
+Quote Post
Snake
post Apr 28 2012, 01:50 AM
Post #13

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

So, due to boredom, I created a concept for a brand new forum. Maybe it will get your creative juices flowing Kaj, or maybe it won't. I'm not exactly the wiz with concepts, but I get what's in my mind kinda across the best way I know how. It just has to take someone else to push the envelope and take it further. Though, this was just for fun, and that's it. I don't have any ulterior motive or anything. I just think this community of people here are just awesome, and I would love to start new memories at a fresh site. So, I'm trying my best to come up with ideas in my head and then putting it in this thread. As you will see in the image, I used your idea for the name of the forum "Final Fantasy Community", which I think works really well. smile.gif

Click: http://i47.tinypic.com/b3qx3n.jpg
+Quote Post
Kaj
post Apr 29 2012, 11:17 AM
Post #14

Goodfella
Group Icon

It looks nice, it does stimulate wink.gif I will let u guys know asap as I come up with the final idea.
thanks!

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
fat_moogle
post Apr 30 2012, 03:43 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

That banner looks suspiciously similar to a certain other Final Fantasy website xD

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ethereal Blade
post May 2 2012, 02:44 AM
Post #16

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2570

QUOTE(Snake @ Apr 27 2012, 08:50 PM) *

Not a bad concept you made there. smile.gif

One thing I really like about it is the color scheme. To be honest, I was never much a fan of the red/pinkish colors we had going here. But I'm just one person, and that's my opinion. Just sharing my thoughts. I guess I'm fond of cooler colors.

I'm still favoring "Final Fantasy Community" if it's decided that a more general route is taken. And seeing it there in Snake's concept... I really feel it fits.
+Quote Post
Kaj
post May 3 2012, 10:52 AM
Post #17

Goodfella
Group Icon

4 new idea's for names;

- Final Fantasy Fuse | www.fffuse.com

- Final Fantasy Unite | www.ffunite.com

- Final Fantasy Base | www.ffbase.com

- Final Fantasy Gathering | www.ffgathering.com

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Snake
post May 3 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #18

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Final Fantasy Fuse stands out more than the rest of the ones you listed.
+Quote Post
(Phoenix)
post May 3 2012, 07:13 PM
Post #19

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Out of those names I like Unite and Gathering the most. FFBase sounds cool if you say it like "eff eff base" but "Final Fantasy Base" doesn't sound so great IMO. I'm not a fan of Fuse either, sorry Snake tongue.gif
+Quote Post
fat_moogle
post May 3 2012, 07:26 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE(Kaj @ May 3 2012, 11:52 AM) *

4 new idea's for names;

- Final Fantasy Fuse | www.fffuse.com

How about Final Fantasy Fusion? | www.fffusion.com

I think it sounds better than fuse.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2018 - 12:25 PM

© Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.