> Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
LoneWolf
post Dec 22 2006, 03:38 AM
Post #1

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 828

They just announced the name of the seventh Harry Potter book (Deathly Harrows). I think its a bit... weird... anybody have any ideas what it means?

--------------------
IPB Image
Signiture made by Charlie (different forum, 2002)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Snake
post Dec 22 2006, 05:16 AM
Post #2

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 955

Whoa! Okay, that's definitely weird. But, you know, I like weird things.

I have no clue what it could mean. sad.gif
+Quote Post
Travis Justin
post Dec 22 2006, 06:04 AM
Post #3

Stoned Smart Ass
Group Icon

Member No.: 3467

It's "Deathly HALLOWS" not Harrows, unless Harrows is the European version or something.

--------------------
IPB Image
"Everything in moderation, including moderation" - Mark Twain
"Make the most of the hemp seed, and sow it everywhere" - George Washington
"Marijuana use causes pacifism and communist brainwashing" - Harry Anslinger
<3 B.Valentine
+Quote Post
Xiitharn
post Dec 22 2006, 06:06 AM
Post #4

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1134

Wow, weird..

It better be big, that's all I'm saying. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE(Nick @ May 5 2007, 04:05 PM) *
go Roger yourself with a Tuba you flappy-headed Canuck - your humour is hideous and your gayness knows no bounds!
+Quote Post
Travis Justin
post Dec 22 2006, 06:09 AM
Post #5

Stoned Smart Ass
Group Icon

QUOTE(Xiitharn @ Dec 22 2006, 01:06 AM) *

Wow, weird..

It better be big, that's all I'm saying. smile.gif

How could it not be big. I mean there's just so much left to cover.

I've been waiting for this book since about three days after HBP came out (the day I finished reading HBP wink.gif)

I remember thinking to myself, "how can she possibly finish this story in only one more book". Should be very very interesting.

So what do you guys think about the rumor that Harry will die??

--------------------
IPB Image
<3 B.Valentine
+Quote Post
Puppy Noelle
post Dec 22 2006, 08:08 AM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 3340

well, she already confirmed that two characters are going to die... we're just left to fend for ourselves in predicting who they are.

personally, i'm torn as to whether i believe she'll kill Harry or not. It's technically a children's book, so killing off the main character is rather unlikely in that genre, however the possibilty may very well exist that Harry will have to die in order to take out Voldemort. we'll see i suppose.

<3

--------------------
+Quote Post
Travis Justin
post Dec 22 2006, 08:28 AM
Post #7

Stoned Smart Ass
Group Icon

I've actually been thinking that Harry is one of Voldermorts horcruxes. The fact that some of his powers were transfered into Harry. It was stated that Dumbledore thought that Voldermort was using Harry's death to make his final horcrux. I can't remember the exact wording of the prophecy but I remember it making me think this too. It also fits in with the whole Harry having to die in order to defeat Voldermort.

Anybody else think this a possibility?

--------------------
IPB Image
<3 B.Valentine
+Quote Post
-josh-
post Dec 22 2006, 09:52 AM
Post #8

Bleh
Group Icon

Member No.: 1975

WOOO
I cant wait for teh book biggrin.gif
The new movie should be good too biggrin.gif
I think harry will die with cho chang, so there die together * loves harry X cho*
hahaha
Umm yes harry and vodlemort since they allready * spoiler* killed of dumbledor

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post Dec 22 2006, 10:35 AM
Post #9

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

It's "Deathly HALLOWS" not Harrows, unless Harrows is the European version or something.

It was a typo (I have no idea how my finger got there ><), you'll notice I said "Hallows" in the title. And if it was, it wouldn't be the "European Version", it would be the "All-But-American" version. tongue.gif

I like teasing Americans about how they got the "Sorcerers" Stone because the publishers thought they were too stupid to know what Philosopher meant. XD

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
N2Y
post Dec 22 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #10

Wiiii Love PS3... and Jessica Alba! And Penelope Cruz!
Group Icon

Member No.: 734

@LoneWolf, I totally agree. Its silly how Americans get their own version of the title...

Anyways, spoilers ahead!

I think Dumbledore isn't dead. Come on, that would be awful, no? Dumbledore is the best character of Harry Potter. There are signs he's alive, near the end of the book, anyways... Like the Fenix that is supposed to sing cuz D is dead, but its not singing. Or something like that... xD

End spoiler!

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Katya
post Dec 22 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #11

Brutally Honest
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8

I like how that name sounds for some reason. The release of this book should be very exciting. As for Harry dying, I hope he does so and Voldemort lives on. =P

--------------------
IPB Image
☆ sig by andrzej ☆
+Quote Post
Travis Justin
post Dec 22 2006, 04:27 PM
Post #12

Stoned Smart Ass
Group Icon

QUOTE(new2ya @ Dec 22 2006, 07:09 AM) *

@LoneWolf, I totally agree. Its silly how Americans get their own version of the title...

Anyways, spoilers ahead!

I think Dumbledore isn't dead. Come on, that would be awful, no? Dumbledore is the best character of Harry Potter. There are signs he's alive, near the end of the book, anyways... Like the Fenix that is supposed to sing cuz D is dead, but its not singing. Or something like that... xD

End spoiler!

I've heard a lot of arguments for this theory, I'll list a few.

1) Doesn't it seem odd that Dumbledore just lets Malfoy walk in. He could of very easily not have petrified Harry, who could have disarmed Malfoy allowing Dumbledore to get his wand back.

2) There is a scene earlier in the story were Dumbledore and Snape are arguing about something. Snape saying he doesn't want to do it, while Dumbledore tells him he will. We assume this is about Snape being a spy, but why after several years of doing this for him would he have a problem. Also in book five Snape seems to be proud of his job when he is egging Sirus on about not helping the order.

3) When the curse is cast on Dumbledore he reacts different to it then all other times we've seen it. In other instances the victim just falls dead. Dumbledore however is blasted upwards and out of a window to fall down the tower. We already know that Snape knows how to cast spells without actually uttering a incantation. Might it have been something besides Avada Kadavra?

4) While Dumbledore is talking to Malfoy before he is killed he says, and I quote with the book in front of me, "He cannot kill you if you are already dead. Come over to the right side, Draco, and we can hide you more completely than you can possible imagine."

5 When a phoenix dies it bursts in flame to be reborn. At the ceremony were Dumbledore is laid to rest, his tomb suddenly bursts into flame much like the phoenix does.

--------------------
IPB Image
<3 B.Valentine
+Quote Post
Maiden of Rabanastre
post Dec 22 2006, 06:22 PM
Post #13

Ultimate Member

Member No.: 1898

QUOTE(Travis Justin @ Dec 22 2006, 03:28 AM) *

I've actually been thinking that Harry is one of Voldermorts horcruxes. The fact that some of his powers were transfered into Harry. It was stated that Dumbledore thought that Voldermort was using Harry's death to make his final horcrux. I can't remember the exact wording of the prophecy but I remember it making me think this too. It also fits in with the whole Harry having to die in order to defeat Voldermort.

Anybody else think this a possibility?

That's exactly what I thought. I only finished reading the HBP about a few weeks ago, because I hadn't had time to do so lately, and the part where they started talking about finding horcruxes sort of hinted that.

Also, I'm not really sure that Harry will die, though it'd make sense if he did. There are rumors that say he will, but a few prying people have already revealed the ending to the last book, and though I never asked for the details, they say that he doesn't. If you ask me, I'd rather not know until the end. If J.K. Rowling is gonna kill off someone else, it may as well be Harry, since she keeps killing off all the significant characters.
+Quote Post
Travis Justin
post Dec 22 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #14

Stoned Smart Ass
Group Icon

I thought she didn't finish writing it yet? How could anybody really know for sure?

--------------------
IPB Image
<3 B.Valentine
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post Dec 23 2006, 02:12 AM
Post #15

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Didn't she write the last chapter of the last book (which explains about all of their futures) before she started writing the first?

[SPOILERS]

Yep, I think that's a possibility. That was one of my theories when I finished the book. smile.gif

I also think Snape isn't evil. When Snape made the Unbreakable Vow, either he or Dumbledore HAD to die. Either Dumbledore was going to be killed by Draco or Snape, or Snape would die for not killing him (if Draco failed). My theory is that Snape then told Dumbledore what had happened, and Dumbledore decided that he should be the one to die. Snape could then continue spying on Voldemort, and help Harry when he's in need. Thats why Dumbledore froze Harry on the tower, and he was begging for Snape to kill him, not begging to stay alive.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Turquoise Reed
post Dec 23 2006, 05:45 AM
Post #16

MidnightBlue
Group Icon

Member No.: 1674

BTW, it's Deathly Gallows.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post Dec 23 2006, 08:14 AM
Post #17

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

^...No its not... where did you hear that? Its wrong.

I found out what the Deathly Hallows mean. biggrin.gif I think the hallows are the things that the four Hogwarts founders had. So the Deathly Hallows are Hugglepuff's Cup and Gryffindor's Sword etc (the Horcruxes). smile.gif

http://www.mystical-www.co.uk/arthuriana2z/h.htm

The Hallows across most legends are seen to represent the royal regalia carried by the King, or the objects sought by someone such as a 'Grail Quester' (See Grail Knights) in both ancient and modern stories.

The sacred vessels, or 'Hallows of Ireland' were believed to have been brought by the 'Tuatha de Danaan' (See Tuatha de Danaan) to Ireland and kept in the 'Crane Bag', visible at high tide only. Four people were responsible for guarding the contents, known as 'Guardians of the Hallows'

This post has been edited by LoneWolf: Dec 23 2006, 08:28 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Travis Justin
post Dec 23 2006, 08:30 AM
Post #18

Stoned Smart Ass
Group Icon

QUOTE(LoneWolf @ Dec 22 2006, 09:12 PM) *

Didn't she write the last chapter of the last book (which explains about all of their futures) before she started writing the first?

[SPOILERS]

Yep, I think that's a possibility. That was one of my theories when I finished the book. smile.gif

I also think Snape isn't evil. When Snape made the Unbreakable Vow, either he or Dumbledore HAD to die. Either Dumbledore was going to be killed by Draco or Snape, or Snape would die for not killing him (if Draco failed). My theory is that Snape then told Dumbledore what had happened, and Dumbledore decided that he should be the one to die. Snape could then continue spying on Voldemort, and help Harry when he's in need. Thats why Dumbledore froze Harry on the tower, and he was begging for Snape to kill him, not begging to stay alive.

Yeah your right, I forgot that she already had the last chapter written.

I like your theory. The way I was trying to get rid of that problem (Unbreakable Vow). Was that since we don't really know HOW the vow is fulfilled, that maybe he didn't really have to kill Dubledore, just make the bondsman think so to pronounce the vow fulfilled.

QUOTE(LoneWolf @ Dec 23 2006, 03:14 AM) *

^...No its not... where did you hear that? Its wrong.

I found out what the Deathly Hallows mean. biggrin.gif I think the hallows are the things that the four Hogwarts founders had. So the Deathly Hallows are Hugglepuff's Cup and Gryffindor's Sword etc (the Horcruxes). smile.gif

http://www.mystical-www.co.uk/arthuriana2z/h.htm

The Hallows across most legends are seen to represent the royal regalia carried by the King, or the objects sought by someone such as a 'Grail Quester' (See Grail Knights) in both ancient and modern stories.

The sacred vessels, or 'Hallows of Ireland' were believed to have been brought by the 'Tuatha de Danaan' (See Tuatha de Danaan) to Ireland and kept in the 'Crane Bag', visible at high tide only. Four people were responsible for guarding the contents, known as 'Guardians of the Hallows'

Makes perfect sense, and it definitely sticks with the way she names her books.

This post has been edited by Travis Justin: Dec 23 2006, 08:30 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
<3 B.Valentine
+Quote Post
LoneWolf
post Dec 23 2006, 08:56 AM
Post #19

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Makes perfect sense, and it definitely sticks with the way she names her books.

Yep. smile.gif

Was that since we don't really know HOW the vow is fulfilled, that maybe he didn't really have to kill Dubledore, just make the bondsman think so to pronounce the vow fulfilled.

I always thought the bondsman was irrelevant, and that magic would know anyway. Who knows, maybe they found a way to trick magic too. ^^

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
swim.down
post Dec 23 2006, 10:24 AM
Post #20

playrewindplayrewindplay

Member No.: 2754

I'd heard of the title from a Border's email subscription laugh.gif ( I'm just in it for the coupons tongue.gif)
Thanks for the definition of 'hallows' btw, I've been trying to figure out what it meant for a while now. Now it makes sense!
And I also think Harry's a horcrux. laugh.gif Is it completely sad that I had to laugh at the word horcrux?

--------------------

IPB Image

swimming with swordy!
proud student of hogwarts, slytherin house!IPB Image
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th January 2018 - 03:33 AM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.