Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Jump Festa 2007 Trailer, now with youtube and direct download links
Quasar
post Jan 3 2007, 05:50 AM
Post #21

Holy Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2431

Don't tell me Balthier is going to become a villian. Of all the people to go down the dark side, I never thought it would be Balthier. I could understand Vaan going down that path if Penelo started liking someone else. But not freakin Balthier!!!!

--------------------
"They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be... They only lack the light to show the way...For this reason, above all, they're capacity for good...I have sent them you....my only son." ~ Jor-El, Superman The Movie
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ethereal Blade
post Jan 7 2007, 02:03 AM
Post #22

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2570

QUOTE(Quasar @ Jan 2 2007, 11:50 PM) *

Don't tell me Balthier is going to become a villian. Of all the people to go down the dark side, I never thought it would be Balthier. I could understand Vaan going down that path if Penelo started liking someone else. But not freakin Balthier!!!!

Ahh! I would certainly hope he wouldn't become a villian! That would be a big mistake on Square-Enix's part IMO-- it would completely ruin his character. Perhaps we are just made to believe that particular scene is worse than it really is... because, right now, it sure makes me worry just a bit. But still... it's hard to believe they'd go as far as to make Balthier a villian. Like you implied, it wouldn't suit him at all.
+Quote Post
aorin
post Jan 7 2007, 02:52 AM
Post #23

~ ♥ Double Trouble ♥ ~

Member No.: 2129

QUOTE(Ethereal Blade @ Jan 7 2007, 02:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Quasar @ Jan 2 2007, 11:50 PM) *

Ahh! I would certainly hope he wouldn't become a villian! That would be a big mistake on Square-Enix's part IMO-- it would completely ruin his character. Perhaps we are just made to believe that particular scene is worse than it really is... because, right now, it sure makes me worry just a bit. But still... it's hard to believe they'd go as far as to make Balthier a villian. Like you implied, it wouldn't suit him at all.

Chill out! Like Ethereal Blade says, its probably not as bad as it seems. He just say he retired from being a leading-man, he didn't say I am the villian.

Same with you guys, I don't want Balthier to be a villian but I would like to see him play the villian role. Makes the story more interesting.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Quasar
post Jan 7 2007, 04:22 AM
Post #24

Holy Member

It looked like he had a gun pointed at Vaan. So I don't know, it's smelling like someone is going to become evil pirate.

--------------------
"They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be... They only lack the light to show the way...For this reason, above all, they're capacity for good...I have sent them you....my only son." ~ Jor-El, Superman The Movie
+Quote Post
Ethereal Blade
post Jan 7 2007, 05:36 AM
Post #25

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(aorin @ Jan 6 2007, 08:52 PM) *

Same with you guys, I don't want Balthier to be a villian but I would like to see him play the villian role. Makes the story more interesting.

I actually wouldn't mind some sort of rivalry between the two I guess, just... not a villian. tongue.gif

In the translation of the trailer, you translated Fran's line as "Unchanging trust- the viera partner." I don't think she would be a villlian too... that would all seem so out of place. Yes, until I know for sure, I refuse to believe that Balthier will be a villian.
+Quote Post
aorin
post Jan 7 2007, 06:33 AM
Post #26

~ ♥ Double Trouble ♥ ~

QUOTE(Ethereal Blade @ Jan 7 2007, 05:36 AM) *

QUOTE(aorin @ Jan 6 2007, 08:52 PM) *

I actually wouldn't mind some sort of rivalry between the two I guess, just... not a villian. tongue.gif

In the translation of the trailer, you translated Fran's line as "Unchanging trust- the viera partner." I don't think she would be a villlian too... that would all seem so out of place. Yes, until I know for sure, I refuse to believe that Balthier will be a villian.

Refering back to the translation, I'm sure Fran does not have blind loyalty for Balthier but instead she believes that the actions which Balthier takes is for the best. And she trust his intentions to be good even though his actions says otherwise. Which IMO explains unchanging trust. tongue.gif

I was hoping that Balthier is something like Captain Jack Sparrow that he can be selfish on some things but at the same time loyal. Adds more colour to the character instead of the goody-goody pirate. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by aorin: Jan 7 2007, 06:37 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Quasar
post Jan 7 2007, 06:38 AM
Post #27

Holy Member

Yeah, but what if instead of Sparrow he becomes more like Barbossa. I'm still hoping Vaan becomes like Sinbad.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ethereal Blade
post Jan 7 2007, 07:02 AM
Post #28

Ultimate Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(aorin @ Jan 7 2007, 12:33 AM) *

Refering back to the translation, I'm sure Fran does not have blind loyalty for Balthier but instead she believes that the actions which Balthier takes is for the best. And she trust his intentions to be good even though his actions says otherwise. Which IMO explains unchanging trust. tongue.gif

Ah, I see. That definately makes sense.

QUOTE(aorin @ Jan 7 2007, 12:33 AM) *

I was hoping that Balthier is something like Captain Jack Sparrow that he can be selfish on some things but at the same time loyal. Adds more colour to the character instead of the goody-goody pirate. laugh.gif

Yes, I like that idea as well. I do think he was a little like that in FFXII... SPOILERS?

I mean at first he really seemed he was only after treasure, but he was eventually caught into Ashe's journey and decided to help out. I really liked that about him. I think he appeared to only care about treasure-- but IMO it was more than the Nethicite that made him agree to help Vaan go after Penelo. Like Fran says to Balthier, before going opening the passageway to Eruyt Villiage, "You let your eyes betray your heart." Balthier denies it, but it definately seems to be true.

Anyway, I didn't mean to rant on about that. smile.gif

QUOTE(Quasar @ Jan 7 2007, 12:38 AM) *

Yeah, but what if instead of Sparrow he becomes more like Barbossa. I'm still hoping Vaan becomes like Sinbad.

I don't think I'd want Balthier to be like Barbossa, but Vaan like Sinbad... interesting. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
aorin
post Jan 7 2007, 12:17 PM
Post #29

~ ♥ Double Trouble ♥ ~

Yes, I like that idea as well. I do think he was a little like that in FFXII... SPOILERS?

I mean at first he really seemed he was only after treasure, but he was eventually caught into Ashe's journey and decided to help out. I really liked that about him. I think he appeared to only care about treasure-- but IMO it was more than the Nethicite that made him agree to help Vaan go after Penelo. Like Fran says to Balthier, before going opening the passageway to Eruyt Villiage, "You let your eyes betray your heart." Balthier denies it, but it definately seems to be true.

Anyway, I didn't mean to rant on about that.

True, true... agreed, to me, it seems that Balthier always insists that he is after the treasure but his actions says otherwise. SPOILERS For example, he could have manhandled Vaan to get the dusk shard instead he never once force the boy to give it to him. Other times were like... there were many other times so let's not get started.END SPOILERS. Simply put, he's not what he seems to be.

Whatever the reasons for him to say the last line in the trailer and his actions accompanying it seem quite intriguing. I'm sure we'll have a good explanation when we get the game. But I am highly doubtful that SE can cram a satisfactory story into a DS game esp with so many new characters.

And in FFXII, Balthier is a little like Jack Sparrow but Jack Sparrow is more devious and manipulative than Balthier.

I don't think I'd want Balthier to be like Barbossa, but Vaan like Sinbad... interesting.

I seriously don't think SE would have the guts to turn him into a Barbossa-like character. That would totally destroy the previous image they were trying so hard to set up for him in FFXII.

Vaan is definitely Sinbad like cuz he is restless and yearns for adventure. Treasures is his goal but it is the adventure that matters more.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 10:33 AM

Copyright 2003-2007 FFXII.Net - All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer
Final Fantasy XII, FFXII & FF12 are registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.