Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I tried
Final Fantasy XII Net Forums > General > Arts & Graphics
Travis Justin
a Wallpaper and I want to know what you guys think.

This is the first time I've really ever tried to make any type of image, so be nice.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/art...iiwallpaper.png
Snake
Well, that's good for a first try. smile.gif

The major thing is that, the image of Lightning has not been dumbed down, blurred, or pixelated, which is a good thing. The text placement, Final Fantasy XIII, is good too, but it could use more work.

Do you want constructive criticism? Well, I'm not the master of graphics, but here it goes:

1) I think you probably should have used more than one screenshot, and blended them together. Though, that is rather difficult, and time consuming, and I understand why you didn't bother with that. Neither did I when I first started.

2) The edges of the wallpaper are not to my liking, but I understand that this is your first try and all. biggrin.gif

That's about it.

One thing, though, no matter who brings you down, or tells you that your work sucks, don't stop. Keep on trying, sooner or later, you will a graphical genius, and have your own style. Just remember that, never give up.

Oh, and if you need any graphic assistance, just go to the FFXII.Net Tutorials thread, and members will help you out. biggrin.gif
Travis Justin
Yes, I do want constructive criticism, that's the whole point of asking what others think.

It's kind of hard to find other images of Lightning right now wink.gif.

As for the edges, you mean around the shoot of lightning or around the entire image??

Yeah, tutorials arn't my thing, I need to see stuff done. I don't know anyone personally that does this stuff so right now I've just been messing around trying stuff out. You know, clicking random things to see what happens. My main problem is that I lack imagination.

What do you think I could do to the text to improve it?
-josh-
Well I dont really like the crispy outline thing xD

Maybe a bit of text or more effects on the image would be good biggrin.gif

Good try for your first tongue.gif
Snake
Okay. smile.gif

I lack imagination too, but I am just like you, I go random, and try my best. That randomness can come in handy, yeah. It will help you develop your own style, which is crucial to graphics. It is like music, it's better if you right your own songs, then sing other people's songs.

The edges, I meant around the whole image. The kind of tethered look.

Well, I tell you what. I am not doing much as of now, so I'm going to make a picture tutorial for you. Can you follow those? By picture tutorials, I mean snapshots of how to go about making a graphic. If you don't want, I perfectly understand. It won't be great, but it will just show the basics, and you will make your own random things from then on out. smile.gif

The text, well, about the text. I would use a font from a place like http://www.dafont.com/, find a font there, and on your graphic type Final Fantasy XIII or something else, instead of using the logo, and making it semi-transparent. You will love the different kinds of text you can use, the possibilities are endless. biggrin.gif
Travis Justin
That would be awesome and very much appreciated. Extremely nice to take time out and do that for someone you hardly know.

As for the logo, I would definitely like different text. I want the little background image though, and I don't know how I could separate the current text from it.

I'm not very keen on the edging either, but I don't know what else I can do right now. I'll play around some more.

Oh yeah, I'm using Gimp too. Just so you know.
Snake
QUOTE(Travis Justin @ Jan 22 2007, 10:57 PM) *

That would be awesome and very much appreciated. Extremely nice to take time out and do that for someone you hardly know.

As for the logo, I would definitely like different text. I want the little background image though, and I don't know how I could separate the current text from it.

I'm not very keen on the edging either, but I don't know what else I can do right now. I'll play around some more.

Oh yeah, I'm using Gimp too. Just so you know.

Well, you are cool, so you are definitely worth spending time on. smile.gif

Well, I don't really use GIMP, but I will use it for the tutorial, so it will be much easier for you to follow.

Okay, you want the logo, but want different text? There's a way to keep the logo, I will show you how to do that in the tutorial that I am doing for you.

Well, the edging, I will think of something, and show you. smile.gif

I will edit this post with a tutorial very soon. biggrin.gif Just have to give me time, k?
Travis Justin
take as long as you like...

until then, a few questions

How did you get into image editing and how did you learn?
-josh-
I use gimp too biggrin.gif

SO if you need to know anything just ask biggrin.gif
Snake
QUOTE(Travis Justin @ Jan 22 2007, 11:11 PM) *

take as long as you like...

until then, a few questions

How did you get into image editing and how did you learn?

I got into image editing when I joined Ps2fantasy.com a long time ago. People had awesome sigs, and I wanted to do them too. So, I used to use a dumbed down editing program that came with my old Lexmark printer. I forgot the name of it, but it was a lot worse than GIMP. I made great things on it, though, and people loved my work. Then, all of a sudden, the graphic scene went kaboom, and great graphic designers came out of the woodwork, and intimidated me. I tried my best to catch up with them, and I am just now catching up, though I am still not as great as the ones that are here now, such as Inhert.

I learned by patience, and just clicking things and seeing how they worked. I didn't start looking at parts of tutorials until 2005, and I had been using photo editing software since I was thirteen. I have Photoshop 7.0.. but I'm not going to tell you how I got it. tongue.gif

I finished the tutorial, but beware, it's not my best work. The reason being is that GIMP is hard like heck. Photoshop 7.0 is ten times more better, and responsive. I'm surprised I came out in the end with something decent. But, the major point was to show you the basics, so here we go:

GIMP Tutorial:

You start with doing a New project

Make sure that you make the size the size of your desktop!!!
IPB Image

Now find the images that you want to use on your wallpaper
You Open the ones you want to use

I.E. Lightning Pictures: (Here)
IPB Image
Now you Copy the image that you want to place on your wallpaper
IPB Image

Now make your New wallpaper (the one the size of your desktop) pop up
Once you have that up, click Layers at the top, and click New Layer
Once that is done, you Paste, from Edit
IPB Image
Do that for both Lightning images

Now, you can Duplicate Layer in the Layers section of GIMP (right click on the image in the layers section, and click duplicated layer)
Duplicated the one where she is falling (or whichever one you want)
Then, place that duplicated version behind the original version

TIP: Make sure the background (the far far solid image in the back is black)
Now, flip the duplicated image horizontally, by using the Flip Selected Layer.. button that is to the left of the Text Tool
In the Layers Section of GIMP, you change the thing from Normal to Value
IPB Image
See the pic of Lightning at the top, how it looks black and white? That's what I just did.

Now, do you remember that other pic of Lightning that you pasted, bring that above all the other images. You can do this by using the Up & Down Arrows in the Layers Section of GIMP, or just by simply moving them up and down in the Layers Section of GIMP.
Use the Pixelize Filter that is available in GIMP
IPB Image

Now Burn that layer you just pixelated
IPB Image

Now, Move the image down close to the bottom (the top of the image should touch the bottom of Lightning's nose. Use the Moving Tool for this
IPB Image

Now, Erase the pixelated part that hides Lightning's face, so it can stand out
IPB Image

Now, you can use the Brush Tool to brush over the part of her gun to have a place for the text and/or logo on a New Layer

IPB Image

Now, Motion Blur that brushing
http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=motionblur2qh.jpg

Now, for the Text, pretty simple. You click on the Text Tool, and you pick the font you want in the middle left (the box that shows text)

http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=text3ry.jpg

Or, you could just do the logo by moving it to the proper place, and using the Burn feature in the Layer Section of GIMP (top right)
http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?image=logo9gm.jpg

That's basically it. Here's the final product:
http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wallpaper0hu.jpg

smile.gif

P.S. Sorry about mostly text, and less pictures in this tutorial. It's time consuming to Prt Scr constantly. Hopefully, you can follow this. If not, do as much as you can, or find your own way about things. biggrin.gif

And, the pictures, I am sorry for the black or white bars on the side, or the AIM pop-up that may have occurred while I was Prt Scr. smile.gif
Travis Justin
Thanks for doing that.

I went ahead and umm "found" a copy of photoshop now. Looking through your tut for it and comparing to this one, it's obvious photoshop does a WHOLE lot more.

Sooo, if I have more questions I'll definitely be asking you, since you're so keen on helping a newbie out. smile.gif

Thanks again.
Snake
QUOTE(Travis Justin @ Jan 23 2007, 09:12 AM) *

Thanks for doing that.

I went ahead and umm "found" a copy of photoshop now. Looking through your tut for it and comparing to this one, it's obvious photoshop does a WHOLE lot more.

Sooo, if I have more questions I'll definitely be asking you, since you're so keen on helping a newbie out. smile.gif

Thanks again.

Haha, YAY! You joined me and the many others who have "found" Photoshop. biggrin.gif HEHE.

Yeah, you can ask me, or ask other members in the FFXII.Net Tutorials. But, for now, we will use this thread to see how you grow. How does that sound? Basically, I'm going to try to help you as much as I possibly can in this thread. It will be like a little class or something. biggrin.gif I'm determined to make you better than you already are. Plus, now that you have Photoshop, you can make better things than you can in GIMP, main reason being is that GIMP is difficult, and all over the place. Photoshop is more streamlined, and easier to work with.

You can probably still follow the tutorial I just made for GIMP in Photoshop. Cause, I do believe there are the same tools in both, they are just in different places.

You are quite welcome. biggrin.gif Just remember, if you need any help, just come in this thread, and ask me. You can also look in the first post of mine in FFXII.Net Tutorials to see the basics of Photoshop, i.e. Layers and things like that. In no time, you will be proud of yourself, I know it. biggrin.gif Plus, me helping you, might help others too. Who knows, you might become better than I am. biggrin.gif
Travis Justin
Thanks a lot.

I have my first question. It's probably a stupid one too but, after I cut out my image and paste it into my 'project' how do I move that layer/image I just pasted around?

Yay, check out my piece of shit lol, so tell me what's good and what sucks.. smile.gif

IPB Image
Snake
^Great job for your first try. biggrin.gif

It needs some work, though. I will do another tutorial for you to follow (a picture one), so that way you can improve upon your signature making. It will be tons easier, and faster, since Photoshop is better than GIMP.

I have my first question. It's probably a stupid one too but, after I cut out my image and paste it into my 'project' how do I move that layer/image I just pasted around?

I will show this in my tutorial. biggrin.gif

Signature Tutorial!

First things first, open up a New document, of course

Open up the image you want to use (File.. Open), and Copy that image onto the 450x150 canvas
Then, you Scale the image
IPB Image
After you click Scale, then you move the image towards the bottom, until an outline shows up with square on the corner, like so
IPB Image
Moving the Square towards the center of the Fran pic will result in a smaller sized pic

Once you think you have it the accurate size, click on any button on the Photoshop Toolbar, and a dialog box will pop up stating whether or not you want to Apply the settings, click Apply
Then, with the Move Tool (located in the top right hand corner of your Photoshop Toolbar) you can move the Fran pic to the right place

IPB Image

Find some C4D to use (I used this: [C4D Click Here])
Open the C4D of course, and paste it upon your Fran pic
Give the C4D layer a blend of Hard Light, just by simply clicking on the Layer in the Layers Section (mine is at the bottom right) and clicking Blending Options, which will then show this
IPB Image

Erase (Erase Tool) some of the C4D so that way, it won't be over Fran
IPB Image

Now Duplicate Layer (right click on Layer in Layers Section, and click Duplicate Layer) the C4D you have just erased a little, and place it on the other side of Fran (the left)
Click on the Layer (in the Layers Section) that has Fran on it
Now, go to Layer (at the top) New then Layer
Go to the Photoshop Toolbar, and Click the Rectangular Tool (Rectangle Tool, or whatever) right below the Text Tool

IPB Image

Now, Motion Blur (Filter *at the top* then Blur then Motion Blur) the two rectangles you have just made
IPB Image
Now, make a New Layer, and do some crazy brushings like so (the brushings I did are peach in color
IPB Image
When you complete that, Mosiac (Filter *at the top* Pixelate then Mosiac) the brushings like so
IPB Image
Do it one more time, just for good looks
IPB Image
As you can see there's some C4D on the sides, that I didn't show yet
I used this C4D [C4D Click Here]
What I did was past the C4D on the signature I was working on, and placed it to where it wasn't covering Fran, and I used Screen on that C4D. Then, I Duplicate Layer and placed it on the left side, and Screen that one too.

Make a New Layer, and Paint Bucket fill it with the solid color black
Now, on this black layer, put a lens flare (Filter *at the top* Render... Lens Flare)
Guesstimate just about where Fran's head is (the top) and move the flare in the preview in the dialog box that pops up when you click Lens Flare
Make sure the Lens Flare is 155mm Prime, and is around Brightness: 127% at the top

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2924/lensflare2xq.png
Now, Gaussian Blur the Lens Flare, so it looks kind of like this
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8291/gaussianblur6eq.png

Now, make a New Layer, but put it beneath the blurred lens flare layer, and the two side C4D's that I just talked about (You can see where it's at on the bottom left) In this layer, you make a white rectangle over Fran like so
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7169/block4fz.png
Now go to (Filter *at the top* Distort.. Wave) Make sure that the Wave option is Square
It should give a blocked motion blurred look
Now, get the Eraser Tool, and Erase over Fran like so

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1143/erasedsquares1qb.png
Now, go to (Filter *at the top* Render... Lighting Effects) There you will choose Flashlight, but in the preview provided make it as big as mine
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1650/lighting7nh.png
Now, go to (Image *at the top* Mode.. Grayscale) This will give it a black and white look
After that go to (Layer *at the top* Flatten Image)

Then, you can start doing the Text. Grab the Text Tool, and start typing up what you want to do. What I did was I typed The, then I clicked somewheres else and typed Viera .. so on and so forth. This gives me control over my text, thinking of them as individuals, instead of a family. This gives the ability to move the individual text different places
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2116/text4wg.png
Now, how did I get my text to glow, you might ask? Well, I right clicked on each text layer (at different times) and clicked Blending Options. Then, I just checked Outer Glow, and Viola!
I also did a cool little line under the text. I did this by using the Line Tool (which is with the Rectangle Tool and all the other shapes). Make a New Layer, and press on the signature while holding the Shift key, and make a little line. Afterwards, you can Motion Blur it, and it will look like a faded line
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5156/mo...rredline6ff.png

Then, I did a New Layer, and I used the Rectangle Tool and make a stripe across the top of the signature. I Duplicate Layer that, and put the Duplicate Layer at the bottom. This gives a cool border. If you right click on each border in the Layers Section, and click Blending Options, you can set both of their Opacity's to Exclusion, instead of Normal. It will look very tight.
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1229/exclusion1qb.png

That's about it. Final product
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/333/finished5bd.png

I'm drained.
Travis Justin
Ummm, wow..

That's a hell of a post man.

I'm gonna try something out, but I think it'll take me a few days. Work and all that. So I'll be back to show you my homework, I swear smile.gif.

Snake
QUOTE(Travis Justin @ Jan 23 2007, 11:48 PM) *

Ummm, wow..

That's a hell of a post man.

I'm gonna try something out, but I think it'll take me a few days. Work and all that. So I'll be back to show you my homework, I swear smile.gif.

Yeah, sorry for the huge load there, I was determined. XD

Yeah, it took me one day to do, but it used to take me a couple of weeks just to get something like that. As you go, try different things out, experiment and such. smile.gif

You don't have to swear, no. tongue.gif I believe anything you say.
Travis Justin
Way off topic but if you believe anything I say...

The leprechauns want you to start large fires... and send me lots of money..
Snake
QUOTE(Travis Justin @ Jan 24 2007, 02:43 PM) *
The leprechauns want you to start large fires... and send me lots of money..

Ah ha! Try to catch me eh? Well, I believe that you believe that that Leprechauns said that, but I believe that the Leprechauns were lieing to you. biggrin.gif

Oh, and the Leprechauns that I talked to wish you luck on your graphics. biggrin.gif
Travis Justin
Ok KI, sorry I haven't posted any work. I've been really busy as I'm getting ready to move in less then two weeks.

Don't worry, your work isn't going to be wasted on me. After I make my move I'll have plenty of time to get back into this. So until then I'm sorry.
Snake
QUOTE(Travis Justin @ Feb 5 2007, 03:43 PM) *

Ok KI, sorry I haven't posted any work. I've been really busy as I'm getting ready to move in less then two weeks.

Don't worry, your work isn't going to be wasted on me. After I make my move I'll have plenty of time to get back into this. So until then I'm sorry.

Quite alright. There's no time limit on creativity. smile.gif
-josh-
i hope you dont mind me doing your tut K-I >_> im just hoping its not just for TJ

IPB Image

btw I used gimp. I had to try different things to get the result xD and There were a bit in your tut like how you didnt say the blending options so I was confused xD like what to but the black motion blurred layer on too. just a bit of cristim I hope you dont mind xD
Snake
^Wow, you are getting good -josh-. smile.gif

Oh, and it took me the longest time to make the tut, and I knew that I was going to have some flaws in it somewheres. lol. Well, basically, it is just to show the basics, and lend a hand to the creative side of your mind.
Travis Justin
I know this is digging up a very old topic, but oh well. It's still relevant.

I finally got to work on something KI. I told you I would.

IPB Image

Personally I think it's a hell of a lot better then the first couple pieces of crap I did lol biggrin.gif

criticism welcome of course
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.